You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ryder Cup 2018 Paris

Bjornebye

Thought the course setup was exceptional.  The rough was a proper hazard and I loved how much the water came into play. Adds that extra bit of drama.

Made up for Molinari. How many players have won all 5 points. What a season it has been for him. Same applies to Tommy Fleetwood. Shame he couldn't quite replicate his pairs form in the singles.  Poults & Garcia proved their captain right. Neither have to be in form they always raise their game for the Ryder Cup. Same can't be said of Phil & Tiger. Both pointless & even despite his amazing win last week it wasn't really a surprise. Neither of the Americans 'big two' have ever done that well at the Ryder Cup

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Trumo said:

Because they are playing individual match-ups that have already got under way.

I do think that even though one side has claimed sufficient points for victory, while there are still matches in progress any celebrations should be away from the course to allow the other players to continue. Once the final match is over, then the players can run onto the greens and celebrate. It's not been anything like as terrible as what happened at Brookline but it's still something that needs to be curbed better than it has been.

As for the difference in mentality, the Europeans buy into the team ethic much more readily than the Americans in my view. It's most evident in the foursomes where the European players actively try to set up the next shot for their teammates whereas the Americans are looking to play what would be the best shot for themselves. There is much more discussion and collective agreement on the European side which doesn't come naturally to the Americans.

I also get the impression that some of their players resent certain others being there regardless of what good form they're in. Neither Mickelson nor Woods seem like team players and the Ryder Cup format doesn't suit their preferred approaches to playing golf. It is on the PGA and the US Ryder Cup committee to decide whether they want a cohesive and consistent group of lesser names who are more than the sum of their parts, or whether they want their Galacticos to just go out there and show what they can do.

Can't help thinking that some players are chosen with sponsors in mind,eg Mickelson for example. It's such an individual game and so highly competitive on the PGA Tour that I'm sure its difficult to have many friends among your direct rivals. The Europeans seem more relaxed in that sense.

9 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Can't help thinking that some players are chosen with sponsors in mind,eg Mickelson for example. It's such an individual game and so highly competitive on the PGA Tour that I'm sure its difficult to have many friends among your direct rivals. The Europeans seem more relaxed in that sense.

I'd say it's more the Ryder Cup isn't as important to the Americans as most of them win majors. Only two Europeans are major winners. And lets be honest, the majors are way more important. 

18 minutes ago, RobbieOR said:

I'd say it's more the Ryder Cup isn't as important to the Americans as most of them win majors. Only two Europeans are major winners. And lets be honest, the majors are way more important. 

I suppose you are correct but you can't have it both ways as when the US win the Ryder Cup they treat it like a major win just the same. Three of four majors are played in the US so you'd expect them to have a monopoly on those titles given as they are 'home' games.

Just now, VladimirIlyich said:

I suppose you are correct but you can't have it both ways as when the US win the Ryder Cup they treat it like a major win just the same. Three of four majors are played in the US so you'd expect them to have a monopoly on those titles given as they are 'home' games.

I don't think they do. The likes of Poulter, his career is defined by the Ryder Cup. Because he's never won anything else. I don't buy into the home games for the majors, the best European players play over there every week anyway. They're as used to it as the Americans. 

18 minutes ago, RobbieOR said:

I don't think they do. The likes of Poulter, his career is defined by the Ryder Cup. Because he's never won anything else. I don't buy into the home games for the majors, the best European players play over there every week anyway. They're as used to it as the Americans. 

I think that simply by sheer numbers of people who play the game,weather and facilities then the US players should win most of the majors. Golf is a major sport over there while golf is still largely exclusive in most European countries and always falls behind two or three other sports on our continent. Most US courses are set up for 'target golf' hence the stupid under par scores each week. The Europeans tend to play in a range of conditions and that helped a lot when playing at Le Golf Nacional last week.

Just to digress a little but I thought European players looked much fitter by and large than their US counterparts over the 3 days of competition.

17 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Ryder Cup 2018: Patrick Reed says Jordan Spieth did not want to play with him

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/45703605

Speech comes across as a self-entitled little goblin anyway. 

Woods had a stinker of a Ryder Cup. Pulled off a few unbelievably shots though. Defoe another major in him. 

5 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Speech comes across as a self-entitled little goblin anyway. 

Woods had a stinker of a Ryder Cup. Pulled off a few unbelievably shots though. Defoe another major in him. 

Spieth is as milquetoast as they come but Reed is far worse. He's a complete freak show and not in the good, interesting way. Never mind the guys who are around him on tour who probably all hate him, even I as a nobody would probably turn down the chance to play with him if I was offered. 

There was a video of him and Spieth at an autograph signing this year. While Spieth was signing stuff for kids, Reed was drawing on Spieth's neck with his pen. Guy's an absolute weirdo. 

20 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Spieth is as milquetoast as they come but Reed is far worse. He's a complete freak show and not in the good, interesting way. Never mind the guys who are around him on tour who probably all hate him, even I as a nobody would probably turn down the chance to play with him if I was offered. 

There was a video of him and Spieth at an autograph signing this year. While Spieth was signing stuff for kids, Reed was drawing on Spieth's neck with his pen. Guy's an absolute weirdo. 

Fair enough. Can we agree that they are both tossers and move on from this without one of us getting sent down?