You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Away goal rule being reviewed.

an tha

I like it. As mentioned, it means you can go from defeat to winning in the blink of an eye, and it encourages sides to attack away from home. Without it, loads of sides would Mourinho their way to 0-0s away.

I don't think either side really has an advantage in the second leg's extra time. One team knows their goal will count for more, yet the other side's the home team that should be better at their own ground, and thus have more chance of scoring. 

As ever, the problem is not identifying something that's less than perfect, but coming up with something better to replace it with. Thus far, I've heard of nothing.

• Upvote 1

If there is no away goals rule and both teams finish level after 180 minutes, whatever the balance of results over the two legs, then the home team in the second leg definitely has an advantage if it goes for an extra 30 minutes. I'm sure they'll be taking this into account when considering whether to ditch the away goals rule.

Be interesting to see what come up with.

As much as I don't like it - I have to admit to not really having an idea on what might work best.

I suppose penalties is the only answer - no extra time.

Not really suggesting it but does anyone remember an experiment where a player had the football on the halfway spot and had 15 seconds to score with just the keeper to beat? A bit like ice hockey. Think they trialed it in some preseason friendlies.

I'd be interested to watch it to see if it's any good but I'd not like it to involve us. Also forsee issues with the timing on the shot clock

Scrap the rule. After 90 minutes if the tie is all square throw on another ball. At 5 minute intervals throw on an extra ball. First team to score wins.

If FIFA don't pick it up Sky will.

I was going to suggest the Ice Hockey approach of reducing the number of players on each team for set periods but this is much better.

ADDED TIME MULTI-BALL!

Is the balance of the advantage you mention of being at home in this scenario and being away but not having to win to win fair?

Home team has to actually win to go through or force pens and try and win away team can go through by not actually winning....

giphy.gif

ch ch changes like for those who ditched vinyl for cd's thinking this is the brave new world. then regretted it very quickly when that shiny new medium was then rendered worthless and the original endeavour had always maintained it's value, prestige and lustre.

much like previously won trophies.

just another fundamental rule proposal that would undermine preceding decades of hard-earned achievement 

we've had 3 points for a win, ball over the line established as a goal, no argument and backpass outlawed to the keeper and they worked. think the game should leave it at that.

Not so sure about that....if a game finishes 1-1 in 1st leg and 2-2 aet in 2nd leg (after being 1-1 in the 90) the decisive factor is the 2nd away goal which the away team in the 2nd leg had 120 mins to score versus the away team in the 1st leg only having 90 mins to score.

Yes, but the home team would have the advantage of playing 120 mins at home vs. 90 mins away.

Put yourself in this situation: We’re in the CL semi final  against Barca. Both matches ended 1-1 after 90 mins. Would you prefer the extra 30 mins to be played in Barcelona (away goal rule advantage) or at Anfield (advantage of playing at home)?

I think the away goal rule works perfectly as it is. No need to change and agree we have enough penalty shoot-outs as it is.