You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Away goal rule being reviewed.

an tha

Love the away goals rule. It's the only time in knockout football when defeat turns into victory in a moment.

mHXBbnH.gif

But that is the point for me - at that point at 4-4 on agg we shouldn't have been facing an exit.

Why should our 3 goals at home v their 1 at home be less valuable than their 3 away goals v our 1.

It is an old outdated concept put in place when football was a very different game.

The main issue with the away goals rule is the commentators having to spend half of every European knock out game explaining it to people who have known how it works for fucking years.

You do still get people that say "away goals count double" though. Yeah, the first leg was 0-0, but because you lost the away leg 7-4 you're definitely going through.

It's true that if the away goals rule didn't exist you wouldn't invent it. But it's woven tightly into the fabric of European football now. You're always conscious of it and taking it out will leave huge gaps. I also think it will have the perverse outcome of making penalty shoot-outs, which I quite enjoy as well, less special because they'll be happening all the goddamn time. 

• Upvote 1

You do still get people that say "away goals count double" though. Yeah, the first leg was 0-0, but because you lost the away leg 7-4 you're definitely going through.

To be fair it's harsh on Evertonians expecting them to understand when they rarely play in Europe thanks to us

Quite like the rule myself. Plus playing extra time gives the 2nd leg home side an advantage.

Not so sure about that....if a game finishes 1-1 in 1st leg and 2-2 aet in 2nd leg (after being 1-1 in the 90) the decisive factor is the 2nd away goal which the away team in the 2nd leg had 120 mins to score versus the away team in the 1st leg only having 90 mins to score.

Not so sure about that....if a game finishes 1-1 in 1st leg and 2-2 aet in 2nd leg (after being 1-1 in the 90) the decisive factor is the 2nd away goal which the away team in the 2nd leg had 120 mins to score versus the away team in the 1st leg only having 90 mins to score.

If you didn't have the rule then the home team would definitely have an advantage for those extra 30 minutes. Some would argue (I've had this discussion before) that the second leg should end after 90 minutes and go straight to penalties which makes sense, but it just reinforces my point above about diminishing the drama of the penalty shoot-out by making it more frequent.

I'm happy for it to be looked at and to see if a better alternative is thought of. But binning off away goals in favour of just having normal goalscoring shouldn't happen.

Most people agree that they'd rather have the second leg at home, the disadvantage of that is that if you didn't score in the away leg then you might have a squeeky bum for a bit.

Now there would be no disadvantage whatsoever, teams would always want the home leg second no matter what.

• Upvote 1

If you didn't have the rule then the home team would definitely have an advantage for those extra 30 minutes. Some would argue (I've had this discussion before) that the second leg should end after 90 minutes and go straight to penalties which makes sense, but it just reinforces my point above about diminishing the drama of the penalty shoot-out by making it more frequent.

Is the balance of the advantage you mention of being at home in this scenario and being away but not having to win to win fair?

Home team has to actually win to go through or force pens and try and win away team can go through by not actually winning....

Is the balance of the advantage you mention of being at home in this scenario and being away but not having to win to win fair?

Home team has to actually win to go through or force pens and try and win away team can go through by not actually winning....

If there is no away goals rule and both teams finish level after 180 minutes, whatever the balance of results over the two legs, then the home team in the second leg definitely has an advantage if it goes for an extra 30 minutes. I'm sure they'll be taking this into account when considering whether to ditch the away goals rule.