You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Leicester 1 Liverpool 2 (Sep 1 2018)

tlw content

leicesterreport1.jpg

We didn't play well and scoreline looks close, but we weren't exactly hanging on and it was actually fairly routine in the end. That's the most encouraging thing about this and it's probably the biggest step forward we've made recently. We can grind out these wins when we've got no fluency to our play because, whisper it, we're actually pretty good defensively now.

Going forward I thought we were shite and I'd be surprised if we play worse than this with the ball all season. Without it we were pretty good, thankfully. That's what you've got to do. If you aren't at your best you need to be hard to beat. It's a trait we seem to finally be developing.

The first 25 minutes or so were really good but after that Leicester completely nullified us. As an attacking force we were useless. We created virtually nothing in the second half and Leicester just harried us out of possession time and again. They're a good team I think. They'll give all the top teams trouble this year, especially at home.

We’re obviously not at full throttle yet but we knew that anyway based on the previous few games. I think Leicester made us look worse because of how they played us. They didn’t create too much because we defended superbly and they didn’t have Vardy, but in terms of how they pressed us and shut down our counter attacks I thought they were terrific. 

Not too many teams will deal with us as well as they did. Our midfield were never really able to take control of the game and that surprised me. I thought the decision to bring Henderson back in place of Keita was probably the right thing to do based on how sharp and hungry the skipper had looked when coming off the bench in previous games. 

It didn’t work though. He was well below par and his inclusion proved doubly problematic because “away day disappearing Gini” was back. He’s been great in the number six role but was utterly ineffective after being moved further forward in this game. Milner had a good game and couldn't have done a great deal more than he did, but overall the midfield didn’t function as well as it usually would. 

The real issue though was up front. When those three are on their game it’s easy for the midfield to shine. When they play like this the weaknesses of the midfield are far more obvious. The opening twenty minutes or so everything looked great because the forwards were threatening. We looked dynamite up there and Leicester were on the ropes early on. 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for ONE MONTH.

• Upvote 1

Everytime Bobby got the ball outside their box Maddison and two others were into him, tactic certainly worked. Puell,or whatever his name is, certainly has worked out how to nullify us. Is this the first time we’ve beaten a team managed by him?

What are the odds on Gomez getting crocked on international duty? Internationals - pointless shit, we always lose a player once those worthless bastards running England get their hands on them. One thing Slur got right was keeping players back from international call ups.

• Upvote 2

Put this game in contrast to the one we lost at B'mouth 2 years ago when we were winning 2-0 and 3-1 ...

We're good at the back.

I know He did it with Robbo last year, but it's really unsual what Klopp does with Fabinho ... The guy must be having concerns right ?

• Upvote 1

Not necessarily. It’s a game of small margins. This is a side that — without additions — made a European Cup final. The first 11 is hard to improve upon. Klopp is eminently pragmatic and there is sense to not over complicating the first few games with 1/3rd of a new team. We did look overran in midfield for the first time yet though in the second half, so I would assume that Fabinho/Keita will be eased in by the time of that hellish run of fixtures in a couple of weeks.

I’ve just got a few points on the Alisson thing. I think had he been here for the defensive collapses over the recent years he wouldn’t have pulled any of the stunts/tricks he’s tried in games so far. In a way it’s a good thing that collapsing even if he concede a goal doesn’t enter his head because he’s that confident in his own ability and the defence around him.

On the negative side though it suggests he won’t learn until he actually costs us points or puts us out of a cup doing it.

They’ve made all the right noises since the game and only time will tell how he now plays with it at his feet. I get your points on it being solely his fault and that preece fella talking shite but I think Klopp was trying so explain why the situation arose. If you keep passing back to a keeper who’s very good with the ball at his feet because the midfield and defence don’t want to be the ones to launch it then eventually the keeper is going to try and take the pressure off them by beating the press and rolling it into the defender giving him more time.

There’s a stark difference between picking a good pass and moving it quickly to taking unnecessary risks with a 2 goal cushion. You need to make the opposition work for their goal to get back into the game so at that point it goes in the stands if it has to.

I think the thought process from Alisson was flawed , but should be resolved fairly easily by analysing the replays and emphasising risk and reward.

I have seen it equated with the 'chip' incident from last week but I think that is erroneous , Alisson was racing out to meet that ball and the forward was closing him down from directly in front , so there was significant risk of blasting the ball against him and it was more difficult to try a dribble at speed , whereas in Saturday's one Iheanacho was coming from Alisson's left , he had the ball under control and a clear alley to blast it into.

I do prefer a cocky goalie to a nervous wreck though.