You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City - the new bitters?

Naz17

3 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

Haha I remember seeing Garth Crookes present a politics show years ago. My mate is convinced I’m making it up.

Despatch box? 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

The Qatar WC 2022 documentary on Netflix had geo-politcs expert Eniola Aluko talking about Iran / US relations.

As its Citeh related. Jill Scott would be more applicable 

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

It's interesting Delaney mentions the nuclear option I talked about yesterday, of other clubs fucking off the PL and rejoining the EFL. Then he says a super league would maybe be a better place for city - yet who would want to join that? Certainly not the 3 clubs still part of the ESL. And who would want to be city's partner in all this, when they are showing if they don't get their own way, they'll just go to court. It feels maybe city should start their own world competition with all their no mark clubs.

I didn't think it was possible to hate these cunts more, but there it is. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

It's interesting Delaney mentions the nuclear option I talked about yesterday, of other clubs fucking off the PL and rejoining the EFL. Then he says a super league would maybe be a better place for city - yet who would want to join that? Certainly not the 3 clubs still part of the ESL. And who would want to be city's partner in all this, when they are showing if they don't get their own way, they'll just go to court. It feels maybe city should start their own world competition with all their no mark clubs.

I didn't think it was possible to hate these cunts more, but there it is. 

Along similar lines to your thinking but slightly different angle… I don’t know what  City hope to achieve through all this.

Say the win this case next week, short term them, Newcastle, maybe Chelsea, dominate the top 3 for the foreseeable future (given for 6/7 years, the top 3 has been them, us and the mancs / Arsenal, you could argue how different is it already) and they pick up a few more CL’s.

That won’t last forever and they know it. Us, the mancs, Arsenal & Spurs (at least) will grow tired of it. Quickly. We’ve already had the offer of the ESL, we draw in bigger figures etc than they do, we’ll force the exit.

Our manager leaving got bigger TV figures than them lifting the Premiership trophy! As much as they might point at their bogus commercial deals to show what a draw they are, they aren’t and they know it. They’ll always be further down the football chain than us, the mancs & Arsenal.

Real Madrid, Bayern, Barca etc share no love for their regime either, I doubt they’d get an invite to the new ESL (which will have tight governance), so that leaves them in a completely devalued & destroyed Premiership and outside of Europes Elite.

Or say they win and then we get bought by Oman, the mancs by Qatar, Arsenal by Kuwait etc and we all join the arms race. Are they happy with that? Are they happy to just keep on writing bigger and bigger cheques? Do they care?

I can only assume the end game is drown the Premiership in enough paperwork (I read the Premiership lawyer bills have risen from £5m per year to £20m per year due to this) & counter claims the seek a deal on the 115 charges.

They can’t be allowed to threaten the league with nuclear destruction, I realise now all this is out there, it might not go away.

1 hour ago, Reckoner said:

Haha I remember seeing Garth Crookes present a politics show years ago. My mate is convinced I’m making it up.

Now our economy has been beset by three fundamental problem. The biggest budget deficit in post-war history, a build-up of private debt, accompanied by a global banking crash and third, an erosion of our competitiveness in an era when global competition and the global race for our economic future has rapidly accelerated” 

IMG_7684.gif

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Along similar lines to your thinking but slightly different angle… I don’t know what  City hope to achieve through all this.

Say the win this case next week, short term them, Newcastle, maybe Chelsea, dominate the top 3 for the foreseeable future (given for 6/7 years, the top 3 has been them, us and the mancs / Arsenal, you could argue how different is it already) and they pick up a few more CL’s.

That won’t last forever and they know it. Us, the mancs, Arsenal & Spurs (at least) will grow tired of it. Quickly. We’ve already had the offer of the ESL, we draw in bigger figures etc than they do, we’ll force the exit.

Our manager leaving got bigger TV figures than them lifting the Premiership trophy! As much as they might point at their bogus commercial deals to show what a draw they are, they aren’t and they know it. They’ll always be further down the football chain than us, the mancs & Arsenal.

Real Madrid, Bayern, Barca etc share no love for their regime either, I doubt they’d get an invite to the new ESL (which will have tight governance), so that leaves them in a completely devalued & destroyed Premiership and outside of Europes Elite.

Or say they win and then we get bought by Oman, the mancs by Qatar, Arsenal by Kuwait etc and we all join the arms race. Are they happy with that? Are they happy to just keep on writing bigger and bigger cheques? Do they care?

I can only assume the end game is drown the Premiership in enough paperwork (I read the Premiership lawyer bills have risen from £5m per year to £20m per year due to this) & counter claims the seek a deal on the 115 charges.

They can’t be allowed to threaten the league with nuclear destruction, I realise now all this is out there, it might not go away.

I think it's possible there isn't an end game aside from slowly wearing down the other PL members. There's a lot of clubs in the middle/bottom tier who must be furious at at the cost of lawyers and absolutely no guarantee of victory. They probably don't see it as their fight. There's maybe one or two clubs who think they can sell to another state of city actually win this battle. 

City I think see themselves as unchallengeable. So all they're doing, is to get lawyers to undermine the league trying to manage them at every turn. These very rules their complaining about, currently allow them the best commercial revenues in world football. Beyond their city rivals. Beyond Barcelona. And remarkably even beyond real Madrid. They're not abiding by them now. So this isn't a question of them wanting the shackles taken off, they're off already. It's a question of showing who the fucking boss is. They are autocratic leaders. They answer to nobody. 

This is why I don't think we should bother fighting with them. We should just say "have your ball, were fucking off over there to play". You can't beat them at this shit. So take away their credibility by refusing to work with them. 

7 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

It kind of feels like a lot is about to happen.  Like this is the final effort to delay

I hope its a better ending than Game of Thrones. 

Delaney shouldn’t accept any invitations to visit the Abu Dhabi embassy any time soon. He’s been one of very few hacks who have consistently questioned what City have been doing. 
That some of the others are now, belatedly, joining in the condemnation is a positive thing.

City will likely expect to tie everything up in legal knots and carry on as normal, for them, but ultimately, the Premier League might have no other affordable option but to allow them their wishes, which in effect will be a win for them.

City could find themselves in limbo, either excluded from a breakaway ESL if they win their case or playing in a premier league of effectively 3 clubs as the other clubs fuck off to the Football League and away from a competition with no restraints on state funding, or being lined up to get twatted by the premier league over the 115 charges if they do lose their case, and having the humiliation of facing demotion or expulsion and at the very least, their “achievements” being asterisked or taken from them.

It’s going to be very interesting in the next couple of weeks.

12 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Was there any doubt the bullies mate wouldn’t sign up with these. 

IMG_4457.jpeg

15 v 5.

A vote to kick City out the league would only need 14.

13 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Was there any doubt the bullies mate wouldn’t sign up with these. 

IMG_4457.jpeg

They're just working on the basis being taken over by a state might get mosh the pay out he's waiting for. It'll probably be no different if they're taken over. Someone comes in, cleans up the books, strikes away a bit of debt and then starts looking to flip them. 

Unless a nation state buys them they are fucked if city win their case. They've struggled with the inflation of football already and honestly what nation is going to compete with the Saudis are they hoping it will be like the Saudi league where Pif own 4 clubs. Why would new owners invest in a rigged league.

City nation state  likely cheats, Newcastle Nation state owned, Chelsea Russian criminal Oligarch bought their success, don't a middle east nation back their new owner or they have shares or something? And then there's Everton whose owners just want fans to think theres a conspiracy holding Everton back and not insane levels of incompetence. When you look at it really football is totally fucked, there's no way back..I reckon we are witnessing the death throes of the Premier league.

7 titles out of 8 and city are doing this why? Because they know they cheated and they know there's enough evidence to prove it so they are kicking the hornets nest and hoping there's enough people stung and even more people scared that they will be.

City can wrap it all up in legal process, they can sue till the cows come home but they cant control the fans and they can't sue fans for not turning up. Let the world see sportwashing and how it's cleaned the stadiums of fans. 

They are nothing more than a malignant cancer on football. They have killed english football and want to put the nail in the coffin. 

Would love those Abu Dhabi twat owners to suffer engine failure at 35000ft. 

5 hours ago, jonnyp said:

Man City’s tone deaf ‘tyranny of majority’ claim is a truly risible delusion

Calls to redress financial inequality in football have been gathering pace but City seem hellbent on formalising that very concept.

Manchester City’s view of themselves as anti-establishment might just count as the most risible delusion in sport. Here are a club who have gobbled up 12 of the last 21 trophies in English football, including six domestic titles in seven years, all while sitting atop an Abu Dhabi-bankrolled global conglomerate that can boast two teams in the Champions League next season. If this is what outsider status looks like, you shudder to imagine their notion of an elite.

But still a persecution complex permeates every facet of their legal case next week against the Premier League, from their claim to be the victims of “discrimination” to their tone-deaf portrayal of a “tyranny of the majority”. This second wording has seldom had much currency since the 19th century, when there was still concern about a majority imposing its will on a disadvantaged minority through the democratic process. Quite where the disadvantage lies at City, the first club in England to spend more than £400 million on annual wages, is anyone’s guess.

It is a time-honoured pattern, this habit of City’s to find refuge in victimhood at moments when scrutiny of their finances is at its fiercest. We saw it last year, when, in the very week that City were charged by the Premier League with 115 counts of alleged financial irregularity – all of which they strongly deny – Pep Guardiola complained of having the “smallest squad in the league by far”. This was the same Guardiola whose matchday squad value exceeded £1 billion and who could afford to leave Julián Alvarez, a World Cup winner, on the bench.

But even now, with wealth so bountiful that a £100 million player such as Jack Grealish can become surplus to requirements, City insist that their wings are being clipped. Railing against the idea that their sponsorship deals should receive any independent assessment, they want the taps of their oil money to gush forth without impediment. The substance of their case looks shaky, given that they signed up to the rules governing these deals in the first place. The timing is also far from helpful to their public image: with their contesting of the 115 charges – many of which relate to sponsorship – due to go to trial in November, this latest legal wrangle smacks of a pre-emptive strike.

Still, the us-against-the-world rhetoric resonates to a frightening degree with the fanbase. “City are about to take down the entire Premier League cartel,” crowed supporters’ group Real Talk MCFC. “We have just declared war on the football elite. This battle will decide the future of football: either it will be monopolised by the big, traditional clubs or their monopoly will be crushed and subject to fair competition from other clubs.” Sure enough, this moronic statement was soon being endorsed by Liam Gallagher.

“Fair competition”? This is a concept conspicuous by its absence even now, given City’s recourse to an unlimited sovereign wealth fund and ability to use other clubs owned by their parent company as incubators. But if they were to have their way this time, successfully claiming to be constrained by anti-competitive rules, there would scarcely be any competition at all. City would have no restrictions on hoovering up the finest talent and no oversight on their eye-watering commercial partnerships. Their only apparent objective, after a period of already unparalleled domination, is to establish a monopoly of one.

None of this is aiding City’s popularity outside the Etihad. Bleating about being unfairly held back when you have just won a fourth straight league crown is rarely the most endearing manoeuvre. Sure enough, more than half of the other 19 Premier League clubs are reported to be willing to provide witness statements and documentary evidence to support the league’s defence. After all, a central foundation is that at least 14 clubs, or a two-thirds majority, must agree to any rule changes. The system was never designed for one, however moneyed or entitled, to strike out on their own.

It is all grist to the mill for guerrilla marketing campaigns. No sooner did the “tyranny of the majority” line come to light than Domino’s Pizza posted a picture of one of their empty cardboard boxes, captioned: “Sympathy for Man City.” On the surface, the club’s achievements should brook no argument, with Pep Guardiola fashioning the most remorselessly effective team the English game has seen. But the machine-like quality of the enterprise, coupled with the unexplained elements of exactly how City’s supremacy has been achieved, leaves them looking alienated. Jürgen Klopp once despaired of how Liverpool could not compete with City in the financial stakes. It is a reality that City now seem hell-bent on formalising.

You want to believe that the story of their phenomenal rise is about more than money. But they do not make it easy sometimes. On the same day that City’s war with the Premier League entered its next phase, Kevin De Bruyne, perhaps their most-admired player, was fluttering his eyelashes at Saudi Arabia, saying: “If I play there for two years, I will be able to earn an incredible amount of money.” While it was refreshing to hear a footballer express an honest motivation for a Saudi move for once, you could not help but wonder if the Belgian, on £400,000 a week the highest-paid player in England, was being just a little greedy. Then again, you could say the same about City, for whom too much is never enough.

That's a great read, thanks for posting. Who wrote it?

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Are they hoping it will be like the Saudi league where Pif own 4 clubs. Why would new owners invest in a rigged league.

Man city win this and that's exactly where we could end up. 

It won't just be an end to financial regulations, the tyranny of the minority will change the laws around owners having multiple clubs in the same league, until every single one is owned by a nation state. 

35 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

De Bruyne on 400k a week, yeah ok fuck right off. What about the rest thats being funnelled through other accounts 

Haaland only gets paid £50 a week and some vouchers for Costco. He only cost £300 and a bag of footballs too. Bargain. They’ve done well there.

I see so many fans of other clubs online 'backing' abu dhabi.

The issue with a lot of these fans as is the abu dhabi story has been spun as plucky underdogs taking on the established and most hated clubs like us and the mancs and they are living in hope that they will get taken over and their club will be next to go from nothing to winning stuff.

But in the meantime it does not matter to them what abu dhabi may have done or do as they'll never challenge for league themselves and city winning it is 'better' than us or the mancs....