You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City - the new bitters?

Naz17

1 minute ago, coachpotato said:

I’m of the opinion that the Premier League should say if you don’t like the rules, that you voted in by the way, and don’t want to abide by them, then go and play in a league that will let you do what you want.

Yep, it's that simple. Unless they can find six teams to support them they should just be kicked out. No-one would miss them and the viewing figures of the 'product' wouldn't be in the east bit affected because they're nothing. No-one cares about them.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, dave u said:

Probably Chelsea, could easily be Everton though.

Newcastle, Shirely. They’ll be desperate for this to change so they can go bonkers on sponsorships and transfers.

1 minute ago, Scott_M said:

Newcastle, Shirely. They’ll be desperate for this to change so they can go bonkers on sponsorships and transfers.

That would be the logical guess, but they've played nice so far and have not taken the piss at all. They either don't really care that much about winning or they were expressly warned when the takeover went through what would happen if they took the piss.

I really don't think Newcastle will be the ones supporting them, although they will have a keen eye on what happens. 

Carragher Neville Lineker all silent so far. Shearer and Richards are compromised. Most journos are shitting it. 

Would be nice to be some momentum against it like there was against the ESL. This is at least as damaging to the fabric of the game.

It feels like this is the last battle, if Abu Dhabi win, they've won. Football is over. Surely 14 clubs can see that

• Upvote 3

Interesting that there is absolutely zero coverage of this reasonably big story on the BBC Sport or News apps.

Women's Euro qualifiers of greater importance....

I sincerely hope that the tribal element of  football fan bases realise that if they win this it's an absolute outrage and that we should join forces in solidarity to keep the game from these absolute fraudulent, despotic cunts. I won't hold my breath.

I do however think that the clubs will stand up for it, which may improve the chances of the above happening.

4 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

WON’T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE WOMEN AND CHILDREN???

IMG_1689.jpeg

They're getting desperate there, aren't they.

Seen ginger Kev is fluttering his eyelashes at Saudi for a big day day, maybe taking a leaf out of Guardiola's cheating handbook by getting out before the charges land. He'll need factor 200 over there.

7 minutes ago, KevieG said:

It feels like this is the last battle, if Abu Dhabi win, they've won. Football is over. Surely 14 clubs can see that

Shirley, City realise this as well? 

They win this or November and us, the mancs, Arsenal & Spurs are gone. The Premiership has no value.  Big clubs in Europe will think “fuck it” and rejoin the ESL. The CL will have no value. Bayern, Dortmund etc will join this time. 

3 minutes ago, Vector Sigma said:

Interesting that there is absolutely zero coverage of this reasonably big story on the BBC Sport or News apps.

Women's Euro qualifiers of greater importance....

Had to have a look for myself as that sounded mad. But fucking hell...

Screen Shot 2024-06-04 at 20.08.33.png

8 minutes ago, KevieG said:

Carragher Neville Lineker all silent so far. Shearer and Richards are compromised. Most journos are shitting it. 

Would be nice to be some momentum against it like there was against the ESL. This is at least as damaging to the fabric of the game.

There's a reason why city didn't do this while the season was on. They've deliberately done it while people are looking the other way or are on holiday. 

1 minute ago, dave u said:

Had to have a look for myself as that sounded mad. But fucking hell...

Screen Shot 2024-06-04 at 20.08.33.png

BBC don't normally report on newspaper exclusives do they? At this moment, it's just a times story and nothing else isn't it?

That tyranny of the majority line has got to be just about the most self-entitled thing I've ever heard. These arrogant cunts should be relegated so far down the football pyramid that Bury become their new main rivals. 

8 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

It’s easier to get a group of players / owners to make a collective decision than >40k supporters make their own individual ones.

No it isn't this is their jobs which pays them obscene money and a lot of it from TV companies that expect you to honour the contract and give them the big games. It's always been fanbases that have fought the good fight. Most the players probably don't give a shit because the inflation caused by City bumps their wedge right up, as for owners give me a break they'll do right by themselves if Abu Dhabi offer John Henry business opportunities he'd be quiet.

How many current players even the ones who have recently lost out on silverware to City have come out and merely hinted about playing by the rules, they are shit scared of being sued. Premier league clubs not turning up against City would just never ever happen, it would be far easier for fans to organise as usual. Sure not everybody would follow suit but there'd be empty seats enough that TV companies would have to say why. I know it won't happen just like I know clubs making a stand like not playing them won't happen. I want things to change but not if I have too. It's the way it is.

It's the fans that need to step up, covid shown how shit football is without them.

4 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

This. If the fans don't show up the clubs would act.

You can't organise that though, it's completely unrealistic. When FSG tried to put the prices up, only around a third of us got up and walked out. You think people will take the decision off their own back to not go and watch when their team plays City? No, the clubs have to lead and the fans will follow.

I do agree with everything else Bobby Hundreds posted though.

• Upvote 2

Sports washing is such an outdated phrase.  It doesn’t fit with what they’re doing at all.  They’ve got more people disliking them than they would have if they just carried on without buying City.  The same with Qatar and the World Cup.  You get mouthpieces in the media and celebrities happy for the pay day but everyone knows what’s going on.

Personally I think it just comes down to boredom.  They’re so rich they just want to keep buying the next biggest thing.  At the moment that’s sport and particularly football.  I don’t think these people at the top care about the competition and the sense of achievement that winning a fair fight brings.  For their whole lives they’ve had people letting them win like you would on Mario Kart with a 5 year old.  They don’t understand fairness.  They’ve got the perfect cheating cunt of a manager in charge as well.

That quote from one of the French clubs chairman to the PSG owner asking how could he be enjoying/entertained by this sums it all up.  I think if everyone just fell around them and said they were greatest thing ever they would get bored and move on but they’re digging their heels in because most people aren’t doing that and they don’t like it.

I think 30-40 years ago this wouldn’t have happened because our government wouldn’t have let it.  The way society has gone now nobody in power actually cares any more about their country etc.  it’s all just about fame and money.  People can be bought off in plain sight and there’s nothing anybody can do about it and that happens on both sides of the aisle because they’re your only 2 options.

The end game will be when people actually start switching off.  I’ve paid for the full sky package for years but I’m close to fucking it all off and just going the game and streaming our aways.  I used to watch about 90% of the televised league games but I’m probably closer to 50% now.  I don’t know if it’s an age thing but I’m getting sick of the whole city situation.  I don’t know if there will ever be a mass switch off but that’s the only thing that’s going to stop them.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

IMG_1690.png

The only winners in all this are the lawyers... And there in a nutshell, without Winter realising it, is what it's all about. City have never been quiet about their desire to get their own way via the use of lawyers. This is just continued behaviour for the entirety of their time in football, while wet blankets like Winter sit idly by, saying or doing nothing. 

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I'd forgotten Girona were part of the dodgy Sheik's empire. 3rd in La Liga with a ground capacity of 14,000. No irregularities here at all!

New Ethiad sponsorship as well…

Wouldn’t surprise me if Guardiola ends up coaching there. Isn’t his brother involved somehow as well? 

7 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

The only winners in all this are the lawyers... And there in a nutshell, without Winter realising it, is what it's all about. City have never been quiet about their desire to get their own way via the use of lawyers. This is just continued behaviour for the entirety of their time in football, while wet blankets like Winter sit idly by, saying or doing nothing. 

And they'll throw as much money as it takes for as long as it takes to get their own way or at least deny others handing a judgement they disagree with placed on them.