You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City - the new bitters?

Naz17

7 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Having a bit of a ‘mare here, mate.

You've misquoted me to try and build a straw man with unspecified parameters. 

We are competing against a team that has two 1st 11’s capable of winning the league, and numerous others who are paid more than some of our first teamers to sit around in the stands just on the off chance that one of the other 30 internationals isn’t up to it. This is not a level playing field, but we have managed to keep chase, and against the odds, be in with a chance with a game to play. This is not to mention that we are also in the semi final of a European cup on fucking merit and not by fluke. We are having an amazing season, given the circumstances and for people to be asking for more is, frankly, fucking pathetic. They (you) sound like ten year olds who have only ever experienced football through the prism of Championship Manager with cheat codes.

Pathetic yes, constructive no.

You are asking for the moon on a stick and when given it being appalled that the stick isn’t diamond encrusted.

I'm not sure what's quite so pathetic about Vlad's comments, Bruce.

He's basically saying we might be looking to improve.

And you know what, we might need to improve to beat City... if it doesn't happen this week.

Doesn't mean we're not already fantastic.

6 minutes ago, skaro said:

I'm not sure what's quite so pathetic about Vlad's comments, Bruce.

He's basically saying we might be looking to improve.

And you know what, we might need to improve to beat City... if it doesn't happen this week.

Doesn't mean we're not already fantastic.

Its whinging nonsense that’s why it’s pathetic.

The same Man City who are about to blow the best part of 100m on Portuguese teenagers, that City? We would have to bankrupt ourselves to even the playing field with playing resources. We, thankfully, have a team and structure in place that will milk this group for all they’re worth and push them to their limit. That’s to be celebrated, not criticised. 

We should always be looking to improve and we will. But objectively we are having our best ever league campaign and we will still, most likely, finish second. That requires contextualisation of the objective facts, not pathetic Ill thought out complaints, to fully understand.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Having a bit of a ‘mare here, mate.

You've misquoted me to try and build a straw man with unspecified parameters. 

We are competing against a team that has two 1st 11’s capable of winning the league, and numerous others who are paid more than some of our first teamers to sit around in the stands just on the off chance that one of the other 30 internationals isn’t up to it (though admittedly ours don’t exist on a tiny stripend). This is not a level playing field, but we have managed to keep chase, and against the odds, be in with a chance with a game to play. This is not to mention that we are also in the semi final of a European cup on fucking merit and not by fluke. We are having an amazing season, given the circumstances and for people to be asking for more is, frankly, fucking pathetic. They (you) sound like ten year olds who have only ever experienced football through the prism of Championship Manager with cheat codes.

Pathetic yes, constructive no.

You are asking for the moon on a stick and when given it being appalled that the stick isn’t diamond encrusted.

Like,I think it was Tony Moanero said? We have simply drawn one too many games as it stands and all this moaning about that FPP thing is not relevant for me towards this season. If we fall short it will be one result that cost us,only one,and that's because of what happened on the pitch not off it. If you disagree,tough shit as that is what (maybe not?) will have cost us. And nowhere have I said we should win every game,that is truly pathetic,but we have come damn close to not losing any in the league.

• Upvote 1

Just now, VladimirIlyich said:

Like,I think it was Tony Moanero said? We have simply drawn one too many games as it stands and all this moaning about that FPP thing is not relevant for me towards this season. If we fall short it will be one result that cost us,only one,and that's because of what happened on the pitch not off it. If you disagree,tough shit as that is what (maybe not?) will have cost us. And nowhere have I said we should win every game,that is truly pathetic,but we have come damn close to not losing any in the league.

If we fall short it’s because another team got more points than us and has moved the parameters so much, whatever your feelings on that, that objectively the best season we have ever had is not enough to beat them.

Why is a team being financially doped not relevant to you, do you expect Lyon to win the league in France as well? Of course it’s fucking relevant!

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Its whinging nonsense that’s why it’s pathetic.

The same Man City who are about to blow the best part of 100m on Portuguese teenagers, that City? We would have to bankrupt ourselves to even the playing field with playing resources. We, thankfully, have a team and structure in place that will milk this group for all they’re worth and push them to their limit. That’s to be celebrated, not criticised. 

We should always be looking to improve and we will. But objectively we are having our best ever league campaign and we will still, most likely, finish second. That requires contextualisation of the objective facts, not pathetic Ill thought out complaints, to fully understand.

I know this is no longer the era of Shanks and Paisley, Bruce, but if we do finish second - we won't be able to call this our best ever League campaign without in my opinion insulting the achievements of great Liverpool teams of the past, who did win it.

Let's hope we do win.

If we don't, yes, we've been wonderful this season.

1 minute ago, skaro said:

I know this is no longer the era of Shanks and Bob, Bruce, but if we do finish second - we won't be able to call this our best ever League campaign without in my opinion insulting the achievements of great Liverpool teams of the past, who did win it.

Let's hope we do win.

If we don't, yes, we've been wonderful this season.

Objectively our best season; wins, loses & points. Not the best, emotional, campaign, that’s a subjective context bound enterprise. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, skaro said:

I know this is no longer the era of Shanks and Paisley, Bruce, but if we do finish second - we won't be able to call this our best ever League campaign without in my opinion insulting the achievements of great Liverpool teams of the past, who did win it.

Maybe that is just confirming Bruce’s point.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jose Jones said:

Maybe that is just confirming Bruce’s point.

Maybe it is.

I'd say, objectively, a season where you win the League is better than one when you finish second.

But that's probably subjective.  And it's just my opinion.  I could very well be wrong.

Leroy Sane would be the best player in 18 other premier league teams (once Hazard fucks off). Mahrez would probably be the best player in 15 or 16 teams, these lads are subs for the team we are competing against. They have a sub keeper that cost £40m.

Just think our good we have been in the last 60 years, who is the best player we ever had that never really could be considered a first choice regular? During Ferguson's time he had Cole, Yorke, Sheringham and Solsjkear for a brief time, other than that he was calling on John O'Shea or Darren Fletcher. Wenger had Wiltord or a teenage Anelka, even Chelsea with all their money had Cole and Duff was the best it ever got. What City have available is a joke.

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

We've drawn 'one too many games' because we dont have city's budget to have the squad depth they have. Next, the argument will be we drew 'one game too many' because we didnt buy just the one extra player who would have made the difference.

But that's the point, it is not just one extra player, it is 11 extra quality players to cover the first choice 11. You dont get those extra quality players without the money they have else every other team that has won the league would have had them as well. None of them did.

2 hours ago, skaro said:

Maybe it is.

I'd say, objectively, a season where you win the League is better than one when you finish second.

But that's probably subjective.  And it's just my opinion.  I could very well be wrong.

you're not.  Winning the league was much tougher when the chances of winning were smaller as the financial disparity was nothing like it is now.   

12 minutes ago, andyj said:

they are so paranoid its a FA fix for us to win the league its never entered into there thick skulls that we have a quality side 

I’ve just had a little look at Blue Moon, wow the hate and fume on there is immense!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, suzy said:

I’ve just had a little look at Blue Moon, wow the hate and fume on there is immense!

i have to admit the hatred of some shocked me when i first looked at it but now i just laugh at the paranoia 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Next, the argument will be we drew 'one game too many' because we didnt buy just the one extra player who would have made the difference.

We bought a player for 13m who turned a loss into a win.

We took a player off long term loan who turned two ties into wins.

Maybe we are actually better off 

If you say that Man City's first XI when everyone is fit is:

Ederson

Walker

Mendy

Laporte

Kompany

Fernandinho

De Bruyne

D Silva

B Silva

Sterling

Aguero

Then their second XI would be something like:

Bravo

Danilo

Zinchenko

Stones

Otamendi

Gundogan

Foden

Delph

Mahrez

Sane

Jesus

If you say our first XI is:

Alisson

TAA

Robertson

Van Dijk

Matip

Fabinho

Wijnaldum

Henderson

Salah

Mane

Firmino

Then our second XI would be something like:

Mignolet

Milner

Gomez

Lovren

Moreno

Keita

Oxlade-Chamberlain

Lallana

Origi

Shaqiri

Sturridge

Overall, their second XI is certainly better, but I don't think there's as much difference as you'd think from reading some of the posts on here. It's certainly nothing like a line-up that could come anywhere near winning the league, as some have suggested. The obvious advantage they have though is that they have much better subs /options in the attacking positions, one of which - Sane - is truly top class on his day. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, stringvest said:

you're not.  Winning the league was much tougher when the chances of winning were smaller as the financial disparity was nothing like it is now.   

Yeah, I thought of bringing that up.

But then thought better of it.

I think I'm done talking about things in relation to Man City.

They are a horrible set of fans. Really horrible.

I mean with the red mancs, there is 60 years of battling it out for supremacy as two of the biggest clubs in the world. There is respect and hate mixed together with paranoia that the other club will dominate again. They have a sizable support that sings about hillsborough, but we have our morons as well.

City fans are small time horrible bastards. They can't even enjoy their lottery win with a great manager and players.

They'll win everything domestically and cement themselves as the greatest team in Premier League history and their fans will still be bitter, conspiracy theory peddling, chip on their shoulder having cunts. The thread is spot on, they are basically Everton with actual money.