You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City - the new bitters?

Naz17

1 hour ago, an tha said:

To be fair i can't knock them for saying fuck off to what is a meaningless game - played at a fucking stupid venue.

Nearly all their support cones from in and around manchester and a lot of the poorer working class areas, a lot of people simply don't have money to spend on paying £50 or whatever it is to go and watch a glorified training session plus travel costs etc.

The point is they say "fuck off" to games that do mean something.....Champions League matches at home for example.....

1 hour ago, redinblack said:

The point is they say "fuck off" to games that do mean something.....Champions League matches at home for example.....

Again i am not comfortable with having a go at them over this.

They don't have a big nationwide and international support like us and football is fucking expensive.....2 or 3 games a week is a big ask for a lot of people and simply out of reach for many especially in working class and poorer areas. I am good friends with a City fan who is a born and bred manc and have spoken with him about this 'emptihad' thing a fair bit and he says loads of his mates just can't afford to go Sat, Weds, Sun (which like us is often case for them) and he hears same from people at work/in pub etc...and he also says he knows a lot of people who have been priced out/simply can't afford to go.

They haven't yet got a big number of supporters from all over (that will change of course the longer they are successful)

I don't think Anfield would be packed to the rafters every week if you took away the OOT's/daytrippers and relied pretty much just on support from Liverpool/Merseyside.

7 hours ago, an tha said:

Again i am not comfortable with having a go at them over this.

They don't have a big nationwide and international support like us and football is fucking expensive.....2 or 3 games a week is a big ask for a lot of people and simply out of reach for many especially in working class and poorer areas. I am good friends with a City fan who is a born and bred manc and have spoken with him about this 'emptihad' thing a fair bit and he says loads of his mates just can't afford to go Sat, Weds, Sun (which like us is often case for them) and he hears same from people at work/in pub etc...and he also says he knows a lot of people who have been priced out/simply can't afford to go.

They haven't yet got a big number of supporters from all over (that will change of course the longer they are successful)

I don't think Anfield would be packed to the rafters every week if you took away the OOT's/daytrippers and relied pretty much just on support from Liverpool/Merseyside.

Their ticket prices aren't anywhere as expensive as ours. They were selling STs for £299 this season. In Europe they do 2 for the price of 1 and all that kind of thing. I know this is too much for many - and I can understand why they don't want to fork out for the charity shield. But the reality is in terms of being priced out of the game, in a bid to try and fill the ground, city is one of the cheapest places to watch football in the PL - matched only by the other club who got a next to free athletics stadium for their ground. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

Their ticket prices aren't anywhere as expensive as ours. They were selling STs for £299 this season. In Europe they do 2 for the price of 1 and all that kind of thing. I know this is too much for many - and I can understand why they don't want to fork out for the charity shield. But the reality is in terms of being priced out of the game, in a bid to try and fill the ground, city is one of the cheapest places to watch football in the PL - matched only by the other club who got a next to free athletics stadium for their ground. 

I still can't get behind this sneering at them over this not selling out lark.

I remember our crowds in Europe in the early 80's and many of our league games too.

OK the economic misery that was being suffered in Liverpool in the early to mid 80's was bad and worse than problems people have now and crowds were down across game, but as i say i am just not into this - and i am also of the view it is exaggerated quite a bit, people make out they are playing in a half empty ground every week when reality is it is a few hundred empty seats in a 53,000 capacity ground. European games may be a bit worse to be fair.

I despise what their club is - but this mocking of people not going the game, is in my view in same ball park as the 'sign on' etc shite people throw at us.

8 minutes ago, an tha said:

I still can't get behind this sneering at them over this not selling out lark.

I remember our crowds in Europe in the early 80's and many of our league games too.

OK the economic misery that was being suffered in Liverpool in the early to mid 80's was bad and worse than problems people have now and crowds were down across game, but as i say i am just not into this - and i am also of the view it is exaggerated quite a bit, people make out they are playing in a half empty ground every week when reality is it is a few hundred empty seats in a 53,000 capacity ground. European games may be a bit worse to be fair.

I despise what their club is - but this mocking of people not going the game, is in my view in same ball park as the 'sign on' etc shite people throw at us.

I don't think the mocking of their empty ground is any more than you're just a small club. Which they are. 

Edit... And in the 80s, nobodies ground was full. But I think that was as much to do with the hooliganism than the cost. Football was relatively affordable in those days - probably about the cost of a couple of pints. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Arniepie said:

I wonder who they are gonna get of pep does go?

You would have thought they would have put the feelers out by now if he does decide he has had enough,but I can't see any cast iron certs for the job?

Arteta. Doing his apprenticeship at Arsenal 

Pour a couple of billion quid into 3rd Division play off winners and this is what you get, I suppose. A club that can win domestic titles and trophies but doesnt have the fanbase to support it.

Ive a mate who says he's amazed I cant get tickets for cup semis and finals despite being a long standing STH. He says he just phones city's TO when he wants to go to these games and they ask him how many does he want? In all seriousness, that isnt a joke. He can generally get 4 tickets for any semi or final they're in.

They're a slightly bigger but far wealthier version of Blackburn when Walker was bankrolling them. They had to give hundreds of tickets to under 18s and heavily discounted 'Dads and lads' tickets to get people in the ground.

There's a reason they took 1500 seats out and replaced them with double decker pitchside advertising and it isnt just money.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't think the mocking of their empty ground is any more than you're just a small club. Which they are. 

Edit... And in the 80s, nobodies ground was full. But I think that was as much to do with the hooliganism than the cost. Football was relatively affordable in those days - probably about the cost of a couple of pints. 

Hooliganism was a factor but certainly we suffered due to people simply not being able to afford to go.. .and i know for a fact it is tough for a lot of people in their catchment areas to afford to go now.

Anfield sees thousands of visitors every week from all over the uk and from all over the world - they don't have those people in great numbers yet....they rely largely on support from the local area.

Their crowds historically are pretty good and they are pretty good now....its frankly a bit small time and in my view a bit shit all this emptihad shite.

This is from about a year ago...all time average attendances...they have been grouped to make tables as if was a league.

0_derby-attendances.jpg

Edited by an tha

8 minutes ago, an tha said:

Hooliganism was a factor but certainly we suffered due to people simply not being able to afford to go.. .and i know for a fact it is tough for a lot of people in their catchment areas to afford to go now.

Anfield sees thousands of visitors every week from all over the uk and from all over the world - they don't have those people in great numbers yet....they rely largely on support from the local area.

Their crowds historically are pretty good and they are pretty good now....its frankly a bit small time and in my view a bit shit all this emptihad shite.

This is from about a year ago...all time average attendances...they have been grouped to make tables as if was a league.

0_derby-attendances.jpg

So what you're saying is they're smaller than Everton? 

11 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

So what you're saying is they're smaller than Everton? 

Everyone is smaller dan de blooos, lid ....

First fucken team to have a fucken church in ground, lad....first fucken team to sell tickets for de game by text message and that, lad ....

• Upvote 1

Like an tha says.

We are a global club, go past the ground almost any day of the week and there are tourists there.. city don't have that.

They probally have a hardcore of x amount who will go anywhere and a much smaller fair weather base.

I'm always a bit wary about scoring points off attendance figures when people are struggling to survive.

Their attendance figures should reflect the reality. If excesive ticket prices means a world class team can't fill its own ground it should be addressed. Create rules in FFP surrounding ticket prices so clubs don't have to fudge numbers to cook books. City could offer cheap seats, youth allocation or whatever as they don't need rely upon tickets to create money. We need FFP but it shouldn't be too restrictive. 

7 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Their attendance figures should reflect the reality. If excesive ticket prices means a world class team can't fill its own ground it should be addressed. Create rules in FFP surrounding ticket prices so clubs don't have to fudge numbers to cook books. City could offer cheap seats, youth allocation or whatever as they don't need rely upon tickets to create money. We need FFP but it shouldn't be too restrictive. 

Is there any point in FFP when clubs can laugh in its face? 

Just now, No2 said:

I'm struggling with An Tha calling the charity shield a mickey mouse competition but losing his shit over our first preseason game.

Just now, No2 said:

I'm struggling with An Tha calling the charity shield a mickey mouse competition but losing his shit over our first preseason game.

"Losing shit"....behave.

You are seriously stretching truth there.

All i said was don't play the mancs in such a game when taking approach we do (approach which i said is right in these games) as it just attracts too much attention given the profiles of sides.

I said play some foreign side instead and do what we do (21 subs etc....training game intensity etc)

24 minutes ago, an tha said:

"Losing shit"....behave.

You are seriously stretching truth there.

All i said was don't play the mancs in such a game when taking approach we do (approach which i said is right in these games) as it just attracts too much attention given the profiles of sides.

I said play some foreign side instead and do what we do (21 subs etc....training game intensity etc)

We only played the mancs to make revenue. Robbed fans in Asia for the privilege.
Pop up club merchandise no doubt, the tills were ringing for both us and the Mancs.

We’ll probably play them again next year in the states.

14 minutes ago, Freddo said:

We only played the mancs to make revenue. Robbed fans in Asia for the privilege.
Pop up club merchandise no doubt, the tills were ringing for both us and the Mancs.

We’ll probably play them again next year in the states.

I have no doubt it is all about the money - along with a stupid fucking trophy and a podium with "champions" splashed all over it after beating Palace in the 2nd training game....i assume mancs got same after game v us.

The daft videos club have made about these games, the shite on twatter etc.

All part of the shitness of modern footy!

14 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

City do offer cheap tickets. They have STs at £299. They do 2 for 1 offers for midweek games (including the CL). They give away thousands of tickets to schools and students for every game. There's lots of thing to slag city for, but making their stadium accessible isn't one of them. Sure, there will be still people priced out, but we live in times where many people need food banks and can't use their heating in the winter. 

21 hours ago, Arniepie said:

Like an tha says.

We are a global club, go past the ground almost any day of the week and there are tourists there.. city don't have that.

They probally have a hardcore of x amount who will go anywhere and a much smaller fair weather base.

I'm always a bit wary about scoring points off attendance figures when people are struggling to survive.

My office is based in Manchester city centre - we've had to go back into the office 2 days a week so I have started going for a run on my lunch while there. Found a good route from the back of Piccadilly upto the Etihad along the canal. Was very surprised last week at how many people were around the stadium - there was clearly some sort of tour going on as a large group was being led across from the stadium to the club shop and then around the stadium, quite a few people getting their pictures with those shit statues of Silva, Kompany and Aguero. So it looks like they are starting to build on the day trippers as well.