You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City - the new bitters?

Naz17

11 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Guariola comes across like he's losing the plot quite a bit now, even when you watch him going apeshit on the sidelines and just generally acting like a bit of a bitch in pressers and interviews, I don't remember him always being like that. 

I can't figure out how they're as good as they are. De Bruyne is genuinely the only player I'd take for our first XI no questions asked. And yet.

I think they have loads of cracking players and players who are right for them. Cancello, de bruyne, Diaz, rodri are amazing players. Laporte, Silva and all of their front players are maybe the step slightly below (perhaps Jesus is another step down). And walker despite being pretty poor as a footballer knows how to use his pace and strangely seems to get faster the older he gets. We play a different style of football where we thrive on chaos and only once we're in front do we try and control - and often not very well. We play and thrive on the edge. They like to control everything from the 1st minute. They have players that suit that and they're at their best when they control. It's also why guardiola is terrified of us because we won't allow them to control games. As we saw in both the league games this season, they can control for large periods and then we just take it away from them. When they had a weakened team in the semi, we just took it away without them having any control. I don't think it means out players are better than theirs or the other way round. I just think it's a question of horses for courses.

10 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

They’re the current League Champions and a point clear at the top of the league with 4 games to go and about to qualify for back to back Champions League Finals. Not bad for jaded. 

As @Section_31 points out, it's how he's coming across. He's been mentally lined up to get through to the end of next season and I think it's beginning to tell. He's used to having it all his own way and of course they're doing well and he's a brilliant coach, but we have a coach who appears to be relishing the battle. I think theirs is tired of it and wants to get back to winning the league by 15 points. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think they have loads of cracking players and players who are right for them. Cancello, de bruyne, Diaz, rodri are amazing players. Laporte, Silva and all of their front players are maybe the step slightly below (perhaps Jesus is another step down). And walker despite being pretty poor as a footballer knows how to use his pace and strangely seems to get faster the older he gets. We play a different style of football where we thrive on chaos and only once we're in front do we try and control - and often not very well. We play and thrive on the edge. They like to control everything from the 1st minute. They have players that suit that and they're at their best when they control. It's also why guardiola is terrified of us because we won't allow them to control games. As we saw in both the league games this season, they can control for large periods and then we just take it away from them. When they had a weakened team in the semi, we just took it away without them having any control. I don't think it means out players are better than theirs or the other way round. I just think it's a question of horses for courses. 

It helps when you have the resources to roll the dice as any times as you want til you find a player that works well in your system.

57 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't argue with that. I'm just making the point they have more the de bruyne. 

If they didn't, we must be pretty shit to be trailing them in the league.  As you say above, it's a question of different styles. Maybe only De Bruyne and Silva get into our team (although a couple of their defenders would have a shout) but not that many of our team would necessarily get into theirs.  

• Upvote 1

Fucking hate them. Cant even think about missing out to them again by a fucking point. 

They are pure fucking aids. Im absolutely fucking sick of the sight of them. 

And of course theyll spend a fuck load again and not get called out on their bullshit finances  

• Upvote 8

15 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

I see him signing a new contract. Where else can he go? PSG is the only one left who can afford his demands and I doubt he fancies that league. 

Think he may be tempted by juventus or maybe Milan, depending if they have enough to bankroll him

6 minutes ago, elvis said:

Think he may be tempted by juventus or maybe Milan, depending if they have enough to bankroll him

And there you have it...enough to bankroll him. He is an excellent coach if he has unlimited funds and I doubt that he could do what Jurgen has done.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, elvis said:

I think you answered your own question. (CapeRed got there before me). Every club he's managed, he's inherited a clutch of world class players (and even Ballon d'Or winners).......and then he's gone on to spend a shed load of money on top. The English media constantly overlook the fact that he inherited a world class spine at City - Kompany, Fernandinho, Silva, Aguero..... and has since spent about FIVE times Juergen's net spend.

• Upvote 1

He won't go anywhere, City give him the unlimited funds an ability to cook the books and wrap up anybody who challenges them with legal proceedings for years, its a job he can use to cement his position as the most successful manager of all time. He is an incredible manager but anything achieved at city is hollow.

23 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

its a job he can use to cement his position as the most successful manager of all time. He is an incredible manager but anything achieved at city is hollow.

For this reason it is not the job that will allow him to do that.

He has quite aways to go to match Ancelotti for instance - moving to Italy would help in that respect.

This is a guy who hasn't won the CL in over a decade.

It also never gets mentioned that Bayern's least successful run in the last decade had the bald weirdo at the helm.

They won the CL the year before he showed up and again a couple years after he left.

A half dozen trophies for Bayern over three seasons is underachieving.

45 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

For this reason it is not the job that will allow him to do that.

He has quite aways to go to match Ancelotti for instance - moving to Italy would help in that respect.

This is a guy who hasn't won the CL in over a decade.

Don't speak too soon Howie. It's like you're trying to mocker it.