Quantcast
Man City - the new bitters? - Page 213 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Naz17

Man City - the new bitters?

I know Messi has been amazing, but I can't say I'm too stressed about a 34 year old version turning up here. Maybe he will still be amazing, but surely his powers will be going backwards by then. They do need an option to aguero and Jesus as one is shit and the other seems less than the player he was, but I just can't get too worried about it all. 

13 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I know Messi has been amazing, but I can't say I'm too stressed about a 34 year old version turning up here. Maybe he will still be amazing, but surely his powers will be going backwards by then. They do need an option to aguero and Jesus as one is shit and the other seems less than the player he was, but I just can't get too worried about it all. 

Yep, Messi is not going to fix that shitty defence

The way some in the media are talking you'd think city are in line to sign a 26 year old Messi in his prime. He'll be what, 33, 34 by the time he signs?

He couldnt even do it in a warm, late spring night at Anfield so fuck knows how he'll get on in a packed English schedule through winter. Maybe they'll let him pick and choose which games to play in?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I thought Messi was staying put at Barca now that he’s the owner, chairman, and player manager?

I don't see what he's got to gain from leaving them now. Money obviously but he's got to have over 100 million or will when he retires. He came across like a little prick in the summer but he is in the top 2 of the greatest players of all time. Why the fuck would you want Manchester City on your CV? They weren't even in the Premier League when he joined La Masia. See out the next few years at Barca, have a statue built then see out your life happy and content. 

5 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

I reckon De Bruyne would quite quickly get sick of Messi strolling around in games.

Yeah, De Bruyne strikes me as a chippy enough character. Don’t think he’d appreciate the Messi circus being parachuted in. 

11 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

De Bruyne's been poor this season.

Clearly not happy at Citeh. Angling for a move to Liverpool next season.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

He's really let the squad deteriorate. Sterling is their principal attacking asset, that's mad.

Weird how Mahrez has fallen - though it is a testament to the job Ranieri did there.

Only Vardy has come out unscathed - Maguire found out as a donkey, Kante shuffled around the midfield, Drinkwater producing his own highlight reel, not sure Okazaki is still in the game.

I guess Chilwell has kicked on.

3 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Weird how Mahrez has fallen - though it is a testament to the job Ranieri did there.

Only Vardy has come out unscathed - Maguire found out as a donkey, Kante shuffled around the midfield, Drinkwater producing his own highlight reel, not sure Okazaki is still in the game.

Christ I forgot he existed. 

12 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Okazaki won the league with Huesca in La Segunda last season. I don't think he's scored yet this year in La Liga, although I don't think many have for Huesca. They're not very good.

Beautiful part of the world though.

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

I think it was Barney Roney who did a piece recently saying this type of player is really going to suffer with how football has recently evolved.

He compared him to Gini and said that by the time Mahrez had collected the ball, looked around and thought about his options Gini had blocked off three passing lanes, pressed, won the ball back, looked for a scoring opportunity and if none presents quickly pass it to a team mate he knew would be in space as they all understand the press and the angles in the space that’s left. 

You can’t have players who choose their own space as everything is so drilled and organised to work in tandem. It’s why Shaq finds it difficult here.

Thought it was quite interesting.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I'd love them to sign Messi and us to sign Mbappe. 

Yeah, if they sign Messi then I shrug. If they sign Mbappe and/or Haaland... then I sigh and turn off the TV. 

• Upvote 1

I think this is their worst start since before the Arabs blessed them with their blood money. 

And I don't see the point in pep signing a 2 year deal, and all this talk about him rebuilding the team, he's spent literally hundreds of millions and he's made them worse, how is this rebuild going to be different? And if he does do a decent job of rebuilding the team it'll take them a season to settle in anyway and then peps contract is up the season after. 

Seems very panicked and reactionary. 

30 minutes ago, Aventus said:

I think this is their worst start since before the Arabs blessed them with their blood money. 

And I don't see the point in pep signing a 2 year deal, and all this talk about him rebuilding the team, he's spent literally hundreds of millions and he's made them worse, how is this rebuild going to be different? And if he does do a decent job of rebuilding the team it'll take them a season to settle in anyway and then peps contract is up the season after. 

Seems very panicked and reactionary. 

Maybe he has taken a leaf out of Jose's book. Sign a new contract then piss everyone off loose games and get the sack with a big payout. Then onto the next poor saps.

14 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I think it was Barney Roney who did a piece recently saying this type of player is really going to suffer with how football has recently evolved.

He compared him to Gini and said that by the time Mahrez had collected the ball, looked around and thought about his options Gini had blocked off three passing lanes, pressed, won the ball back, looked for a scoring opportunity and if none presents quickly pass it to a team mate he knew would be in space as they all understand the press and the angles in the space that’s left. 

You can’t have players who choose their own space as everything is so drilled and organised to work in tandem. It’s why Shaq finds it difficult here.

Thought it was quite interesting.

Yup. Him and Jonathan Liew are the two best football writes around IMO. 

The problem Pogba faces, for example, is tactical. He has become outmoded as an elite midfielder, a poor fit for the current vogue for high-energy, hard-pressing football. Gini Wijnaldum, for example, has taken 15 steps, played a zippy give-and-go, and blocked three separate avenues of attack in the time it takes Pogba to measure one delightful lofted pass, or glide into an unexpected pocket of space. The same goes for Mahrez and Özil: high-grade footballers whose failings in certain forms of team-play are now deemed to outweigh their super-strengths in dribbling and passing.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/nov/14/joao-felixs-thrilling-emergence-halts-decline-of-footballs-superfluous-men?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

• Upvote 2