You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City - the new bitters?

Naz17

17 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

The best way to rebuild is to pay a 34 year old fella the biggest salary in the world.

It's what you do.

It's why it's only a 2 year extension. He wants Messi and to win the Champions League in that time period. Doesn't really care about the long term or a rebuild, obviously. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's why it's only a 2 year extension. He wants Messi and to win the Champions League in that time period. Doesn't really care about the long term or a rebuild, obviously. 

That's it isn't it, there will be a major fuck you to FFP for the next 2 years whilst they try to win the holy grail. Lets hope they don't and it fucks them up for years to come.

I know Messi has been amazing, but I can't say I'm too stressed about a 34 year old version turning up here. Maybe he will still be amazing, but surely his powers will be going backwards by then. They do need an option to aguero and Jesus as one is shit and the other seems less than the player he was, but I just can't get too worried about it all. 

13 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I know Messi has been amazing, but I can't say I'm too stressed about a 34 year old version turning up here. Maybe he will still be amazing, but surely his powers will be going backwards by then. They do need an option to aguero and Jesus as one is shit and the other seems less than the player he was, but I just can't get too worried about it all. 

Yep, Messi is not going to fix that shitty defence

The way some in the media are talking you'd think city are in line to sign a 26 year old Messi in his prime. He'll be what, 33, 34 by the time he signs?

He couldnt even do it in a warm, late spring night at Anfield so fuck knows how he'll get on in a packed English schedule through winter. Maybe they'll let him pick and choose which games to play in?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I thought Messi was staying put at Barca now that he’s the owner, chairman, and player manager?

I don't see what he's got to gain from leaving them now. Money obviously but he's got to have over 100 million or will when he retires. He came across like a little prick in the summer but he is in the top 2 of the greatest players of all time. Why the fuck would you want Manchester City on your CV? They weren't even in the Premier League when he joined La Masia. See out the next few years at Barca, have a statue built then see out your life happy and content. 

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

He's really let the squad deteriorate. Sterling is their principal attacking asset, that's mad.

Weird how Mahrez has fallen - though it is a testament to the job Ranieri did there.

Only Vardy has come out unscathed - Maguire found out as a donkey, Kante shuffled around the midfield, Drinkwater producing his own highlight reel, not sure Okazaki is still in the game.

I guess Chilwell has kicked on.

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Weird how Mahrez has fallen - though it is a testament to the job Ranieri did there.

Only Vardy has come out unscathed - Maguire found out as a donkey, Kante shuffled around the midfield, Drinkwater producing his own highlight reel, not sure Okazaki is still in the game.

Christ I forgot he existed. 

12 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Okazaki won the league with Huesca in La Segunda last season. I don't think he's scored yet this year in La Liga, although I don't think many have for Huesca. They're not very good.

Beautiful part of the world though.

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

I think it was Barney Roney who did a piece recently saying this type of player is really going to suffer with how football has recently evolved.

He compared him to Gini and said that by the time Mahrez had collected the ball, looked around and thought about his options Gini had blocked off three passing lanes, pressed, won the ball back, looked for a scoring opportunity and if none presents quickly pass it to a team mate he knew would be in space as they all understand the press and the angles in the space that’s left. 

You can’t have players who choose their own space as everything is so drilled and organised to work in tandem. It’s why Shaq finds it difficult here.

Thought it was quite interesting.

• Upvote 1