Quantcast
Man City - the new bitters? - Page 208 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Naz17

Man City - the new bitters?

Recommended Posts

51 minutes ago, Scott_M said:


I think that’s a bit unfair, John. 
 

Barca weren’t at their best when he took over and he had to shift some of the bigger ego’s in the dressing room. 
 

What is ignored though, although when he took over at Barca from Rijkaard they weren’t at their best, they were still very good with some excellent players - Valdes, Marquez, Puyol, Xavi, Eto’o, Henry, Abidal, Toure, Iniesta and Messi coming through the ranks etc.
 

What he did was take Rijkaards style and improve on it.
 

Rijkaard won Barca their 2nd European Cup (2006 - 2 season before Guardiola took over) but everyone now forgets about it because of what came after. Listening to some they think Guardiola had done a Leicester with them.
 

I will confess though, Guardiola’s Barca club side is the best football side I’ve ever seen. 

I loved watching them. We’re running them close now but we’ll need a couple more titles and European Cups to be comparable. 


On City, his 2 title winning sides were miles better than the ones Mancini & Pelligrini had. 
 

I still think my points made earlier in the thread have some truth in them - his best players are the ones he inherited, although not disastrous in the transfer market he has signed a lot of expensive flops and, most importantly, I don’t think he’s got the stomach for the fight when he’s challenged. 

Yeah, his Barca side were the best I've seen, even if they bored the arse off me. Each season they were overwhelming favourites for every trophy, and it took a massive upset for them not to win.

 

Still preferred watching them in the Rijkaard era with Ronaldinho, though.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Scott_M said:


I think that’s a bit unfair, John. 
 

Barca weren’t at their best when he took over and he had to shift some of the bigger ego’s in the dressing room. 
 

What is ignored though, although when he took over at Barca from Rijkaard they weren’t at their best, they were still very good with some excellent players - Valdes, Marquez, Puyol, Xavi, Eto’o, Henry, Abidal, Toure, Iniesta and Messi coming through the ranks etc.
 

What he did was take Rijkaards style and improve on it.
 

Rijkaard won Barca their 2nd European Cup (2006 - 2 season before Guardiola took over) but everyone now forgets about it because of what came after. Listening to some they think Guardiola had done a Leicester with them.
 

I will confess though, Gradual’s Barca club side is the best football side I’ve ever seen. 

I loved watching them. We’re running them close now but we’ll need a couple more titles and European Cups to be comparable. 


On City, his 2 title winning sides were miles better than the ones Mancini & Pelligrini had. 
 

I still think my points made earlier in the thread have some truth in them - his best players are the ones he inherited, although not disastrous in the transfer market he has signed a lot of expensive flops and, most importantly, I don’t think he’s got the stomach for the fight when he’s challenged. 

 

I was admittedly being very blunt and harsh, Scott - however, I don't think a lot of the things you are saying here are at terribly at odds with my points.  

 

OK, I'll concede he elevated Barcelona, but as you say, on the back of their being European Champions only two years previously and his inheriting that list of players.

 

He's never worked with an OK, fringe or average team and taken them through the roof.  Barcelona, Bayern, Man City were all very good League-winning clubs under recent managers before he arrived.

 

Of course, maybe I'm completely blinded by Klopp's ridiculously good achievements, starting from much lower bases at Dortmund and Liverpool.  

 

Maybe I belong on Blue Moon!

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The choices Klopp has made in terms of clubs suits him. He's had time and trust to rebuild clubs and make them very strong over a long-ish period of time. Same for Guardiola. He's gone to clubs with great squads and made them uber dominant in their respective leagues. Conscious choices by both managers and different choices.

 

Managers like Guardiola, Ancelotti, Mourinho have all went to the biggest clubs and the latter two went smaller when the success went away. Maybe that fate will await Pep one day but he's got no reason to go to a small club just to prove something. Klopp is just a different kind of manager who has looked for different situations than other top managers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

One of these things is not like the others.

Spot on. 

 

Ancelotti is a legit manager, improves players at every club he's been with and isn't a prick either. 

 

Fair play to Everton. They got the best manager they possibly could, no doubt about that. 

 

Regarding klopp besides taking now 3 teams to relative glory, haven't his previous two teams also had sustained success since he's left, mainly from the practices and ethos he has left behind? 

 

He doesn't just come in and give a few fairies a hug and make them play better, he tends to change clubs so much that they can continue their success long after he's gone. 

 

If that's not the sign of a true great, then I don't know what is. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

One of these things is not like the others.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, chrisbonnie said:

Spot on. 

 

Ancelotti is a legit manager, improves players at every club he's been with and isn't a prick either. 

 

Fair play to Everton. They got the best manager they possibly could, no doubt about that. 

 

Regarding klopp besides taking now 3 teams to relative glory, haven't his previous two teams also had sustained success since he's left, mainly from the practices and ethos he has left behind? 

 

He doesn't just come in and give a few fairies a hug and make them play better, he tends to change clubs so much that they can continue their success long after he's gone. 

 

If that's not the sign of a true great, then I don't know what is. 

 

 

Indeed, I look at Jota for example... and the comments Klopp made about him after the Arsenal game.

One for the future, not just a bench warmer for the Fab 3 now.

 

Klopp doesn't want to leave us in the shit when he leaves.

 

I probably haven't truly loved an individual at Liverpool since the 80s.  Since Barnes probably (and Kenny always, of course).

 

But this bloke Klopp is definitely starting to do it for me.

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, skaro said:

 

 

Indeed, I look at Jota for example... and the comments Klopp made about him after the Arsenal game.

One for the future, not just a bench warmer for the Fab 3 now.

 

Klopp doesn't want to leave us in the shit when he leaves.

 

I probably haven't truly loved an individual at Liverpool since the 80s.  Since Barnes probably (and Kenny always, of course).

 

But this bloke Klopp is definitely starting to do it for me.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Just starting ! Et ben ...,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

Just starting ! Et ben ...,

 

Je suis difficile de plaire.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Chocoholic said:

This Brewster deal has really set the batshit crazy loons on BlueMoon off this time

 

image.png

image.png

image.png

 

 

Haha, fucking mental. There again, these players we're shifting arent sat on £100,000 or more a week to just sit on the bench or be squad members. City have that Garcia lad on £125,000 a week and before this season, I think he'd player 9 times including sub appearances for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Almost can't keep up with all the conspiracies. Since we've started winning stuff I've seen long sleeve shirts to cover up PED use, asthma pumps, VAR, and now we're forcing teams to buy our players at higher prices maybe? Great stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found some non-alcoholic Koppaburg this morning. Living a 15 minute walk from Elland Rd, I'm thinking about going down and doing my own bus welcome today.

 

I've no other use for the Koppaburg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Chocoholic said:

This Brewster deal has really set the batshit crazy loons on BlueMoon off this time

 

image.png

image.png

image.png

 

 

 

The irony of Citeh questioning other clubs deals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Etihad then. That loss-making airline that gets bailed out by the Abu Dhabi regime each year to keep it afloat. Mind telling us how their sponsorship agreement with City gets renegotiated to a higher and higher rate every year despite being a long-term deal and there being no comparable deals on offer anywhere else, never mind at City? No? It's about as legit as a Donald Trump tax return.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×