You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City - the new bitters?

Naz17

12 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Thought this was a pisstake but apparently it's not, amazing! 

20200829_223544.jpg

He can revel in the glory of those 2 'domestic' trophies all he wants. 1 is and always has been a pre season game. Half these cunts probably dont know the thing didnt used to be played at Wembley and was played on a club ground for most of its 'charity' shield existence.

Everyone who wins the shield says it's a trophy and everyone who loses it says it's a friendly. It's never been any other way. I don't know why anyone would get their knickers in a twist because a bunch of shithouse mancs are trying to claim some reflective glory off an ex-member of staff in a game against us and they fucking hate us and make no secret about it. Fuck them, who cares. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Everyone who wins the shield says it's a trophy and everyone who loses it says it's a friendly. It's never been any other way. I don't know why anyone would get their knickers in a twist because a bunch of shithouse mancs are trying to claim some reflective glory off an ex-member of staff in a game against us and they fucking hate us and make no secret about it. Fuck them, who cares. 

Not getting my knickers in a twist at all, think it's funny as fuck, Everton esque.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, an tha said:

The oil cheats can do one...but to be fair to Arsenal they have in my opinion as much right to milk this win as we did the european super cup last season...and we did milk it.

No difference between two 'trophies' in my book.

The difference is you can win the Community Shield  by finishing second in the league these days. While you have to win something to win the Supercup, and not just something but either the CL or the EL.

Both are glorified friendlies, but the Supercup still means a little bit more.

12 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

We don't.

thumb_108252_default_news_size_5.jpeg

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Code said:

The difference is you can win the Community Shield  by finishing second in the league these days. While you have to win something to win the Supercup, and not just something but either the CL or the EL.

Both are glorified friendlies, but the Supercup still means a little bit more.

I get that but both are pretty meaningless to me - as you say glorified friendlies.

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I'm sure we did once. We probably just didn't know how to mark the shared ones on a wall. In fact houllier used to talk about his 5 cups in a year. 

Speculative on your first point, and irrelevant on your second. 

If Houllier (especially minus any direct quotes) is your only defence, then I'm happy to rest my case.

It's a pre-season friendly which is not counted as a competitive game even if there is a trophy. Six subs, yellow and red cards don't carry over into the proper season, goals don't count for a player's career record etc.  I don't think any of these apply to the Super Cup which is ranked as a competitive game and is far more prestigious which is why it appears on our trophy wall. 

Nice to win the Shield but more of a contented smile than full -blown celebration. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, m0e said:

Speculative on your first point, and irrelevant on your second. 

If Houllier (especially minus any direct quotes) is your only defence, then I'm happy to rest my case.

Here's a recent one for you.... 

"In five years we won six trophies which is not too bad.

https://www-liverpoolecho-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/exclusive-gerard-houlliers-message-liverpool-18545523.amp?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=15987992892418&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.liverpoolecho.co.uk%2Fsport%2Ffootball%2Ffootball-news%2Fexclusive-gerard-houlliers-message-liverpool-18545523

at the time he didn't stop going on about his 5 trophies and I didn't notice too much anyone trying to stop him, although he was widely ridiculed by bloos. 

and we list them on our website too.... 

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/history/honours

Screenshot_20200830-155943.jpg

All trophies are worth winning but if we'd have won it yesterday would anyone be waking up with a sore head today?

Saying that it's not nice to lose and after a storming season you ideally want to dole out some early rough justice in case anyone gets any ideas and sniffs blood.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

All trophies are worth winning but if we'd have won it yesterday would anyone be waking up with a sore head today?

Saying that it's not nice to lose and after a storming season you ideally want to dole out some early rough justice in case anyone gets any ideas and sniffs blood.

I reckon I would. Well, I did.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

As I said, if Houllier is your only defence, I'll rest my case.