You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City - the new bitters?

Naz17

Citeh’s last 4 seasons...

16/17 - lost to Monaco. 

17/18 - lost to us (finished 25 points ahead of us).

18/19 - lost to Spurs (finished 27 points ahead of Spurs).

19/20 - lost to Lyon. 

I know Monaco had some good players and a good run that season, us & Spurs reached the final & Lyon have done well this season, and this might sound harsh, but it’s hardly peak Bayern, Barca or Madrid who have been knocking them out. 

4 years on the bounce, they’ve been knocked out by, inferior sides. 

I know these things happen (us and Chelsea in 05) but 4 years in a row?

2 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

I hope Real Madrid spend the next month or so tapping up De Bruyne.

I'm not worried if de bruyne stays. He's their best player and maybe the best player in the league. But he's starting to be the be all and end all of what they do. They funnel everything through him and he thinks he has to solve every single problem. His performances are reminding me of an early Gerrard under houllier. He feels he needs to do everything, his team mates think he should be the one to sort everything out. Which allows them all to be cowards and while de bruyne still stands out (as Gerrard did), his energies are often wasted doing mundane things and there's less chance to see his brilliance. And add to the fact SG was a boy then, so had the energy of youth to make up for the fact he was everywhere. Slowly but surely they're becoming a very, very predictable side because of this. 

3 hours ago, aRdja said:

I don’t agree that they ‘shat the bed’ because of pressure. They simply were not good enough. Their defence without Kompany and Laporte is terrible. Walker is a decent RB but their LB options were a joke. Mendy is good going forward but can not defend. Zinchenko isn’t a LB, and Rodri hasn’t really hit the ground running. 

It should be better, though. Besides Laporte and Walker, he bought Mendy, Stones, Danilo and Cancelo for a lot of money.

He bought Angelino and some kid called Pedro Porro, both for over 10m. Liverpool have cleaned up with defenders from around that price point. He's barely given Angelino a shot, who is about to play in a Champions League semi, and he's never given Porro a shot. 

It's definitely another type of shitting the bed. He hasn't gotten remotely the best out of the very expensive array of defenders he has. Like, Kompany shouldn't have even been a loss given what he had and what he spent. 

5 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

I'm not worried if de bruyne stays. He's their best player and maybe the best player in the league. But he's starting to be the be all and end all of what they do. They funnel everything through him and he thinks he has to solve every single problem. His performances are reminding me of an early Gerrard under houllier. He feels he needs to do everything, his team mates think he should be the one to sort everything out. Which allows them all to be cowards and while de bruyne still stands out (as Gerrard did), his energies are often wasted doing mundane things and there's less chance to see his brilliance. And add to the fact SG was a boy then, so had the energy of youth to make up for the fact he was everywhere. Slowly but surely they're becoming a very, very predictable side because of this. 

De Bruyne's overall game is nowhere near the level of Gerrards.

It looks more like when we forced everything through Coutinho that last season

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Are you saying Jamie Carragher pretends to be a red? He wore a Transalpinio Liverpool t-shirt on telly last month, did he not?

No not really, though I can see how it may have read that way.  It was more a comment on my feelings about McManaman, that I've never been under any illusions about his feelings towards LFC and I appreciate his objectivity.

Carragher is a different kettle of fish.

9 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

De Bruyne's overall game is nowhere near the level of Gerrards.

It looks more like when we forced everything through Coutinho that last season

That's not the point I was quite trying to make. I mean more de bruyne feels he needs to be everywhere and the rest of the team does - defensively as well as an attacking sense. Coutinhos involvement in all round play was never close to what either of those players bring, but when we struggled in an attacking sense everyone looked to coutinho. Gerrard and I believe de bruyne were everywhere over the pitch because their team mates will let them. And I'm talking about a pre-rafa Gerrard here. 

26 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It should be better, though. Besides Laporte and Walker, he bought Mendy, Stones, Danilo and Cancelo for a lot of money.

He bought Angelino and some kid called Pedro Porro, both for over 10m. Liverpool have cleaned up with defenders from around that price point. He's barely given Angelino a shot, who is about to play in a Champions League semi, and he's never given Porro a shot. 

It's definitely another type of shitting the bed. He hasn't gotten remotely the best out of the very expensive array of defenders he has. Like, Kompany shouldn't have even been a loss given what he had and what he spent. 

I agree they should’ve spent the money better without a doubt. I interpreted “shitting the bed” as not being able to cope the pressure. That might have been the case with this team, but they lost the league IMO simply because we were the better team, with or without pressure. If you pick a best XI, four of the back five would be our players. De Bruyne and Aguero would also get in but that’d be it. We were simply the better team last season. 

This is a response to your reply also @The Gaul

8 minutes ago, Moo said:

No not really, though I can see how it may have read that way.  It was more a comment on my feelings about McManaman, that I've never been under any illusions about his feelings towards LFC and I appreciate his objectivity.

Carragher is a different kettle of fish.

I suspect McManaman isn't even that into football, he's always had this bizarre aloof side to him, he seems to think that talking fast makes you sound clever. He's one rung up from Joey Barton, who some people seem to think is intelligent because he knows how to copy and paste Sun Tzu quotes into a Tweet.

Carragher is a terrible pundit, he just chats absolute non stop shit. He's the pub helmet. I loved him as a player, like Robertson now he epitomises to me what a Liverpool team should always have, grit and heart and doing anything for the cause. But he still chats shit.

• Upvote 2

Mcmanaman's not an idiot, and I think he's genuinely into the game (I doubt there's much financial reason for him to help out with the academy - assuming he still does, sounded like it at times). He's just so bad at the commentary banter but for some reason BT encourage him and 'fletch', plus he's developed that Townshend-esque ability to ignore video evidence when he gets something wrong.

2 hours ago, Chocoholic said:

They're all on board the 'we support our British teams in Europe' train, regardless what channel they're on.

Never noticed the likes of Ferdinand, Lineker or the Neville Bros cheering us on. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Chocoholic said:

"The statistics show we were good"

The statistics show your team scored one goal and Lyon scored three goals. That's the only statistic that matters, here, you self-justifying gobshite.

Possession: 72% and what did you do with it?

Shots/on target: 18/7 v 7/6. You could have had 8, but hey-ho.

Corners: 11 v 3 

With regard to de Bruyne's 'different year, same stuff' comment after the game, I prefer to think of it as him accepting their reality... 'we're just shit in the Champion's League every year'

He did not even have a single word of praise for Lyon. Sad bastard, so patronizing and self-centered.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

He did not even have a single word of praise for Lyon. Sad bastard, so patronizing and self-centered.

The "guard of honour " they gave us says it all about Pep and his team. Can you imagine a Jurgen team doing that? 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Arnaud said:

Like Mourinho in that regard. 

Everyone in his first season was saying how well he spoke of teams. Well he did when he was winning, then lost the 05 semi to us and completely lost his shit, showing who he was. Peps the same. Easy to say we'll done and talk down when your winning. A bit like Fanchester was on here

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Like Mourinho in that regard. 

Everyone in his first season was saying how well he spoke of teams. Well he did when he was winning, then lost the 05 semi to us and completely lost his shit, showing who he was. Peps the same. Easy to say we'll done and talk down when your winning. A bit like Fanchester was on here

He’s a cunt.