You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City - the new bitters?

Naz17

8 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Didnt he fake his grandma's death or something to get out of an international call up? All turned to shit afterwards I think!

Hadn’t he used the dead grandma excuse previously, which is how he got found out?

Oh dear, someone's spat their dummy out. And Im sorry, I am not being racist here but it seems like city's owners believe they can act in sport how they do in their own country. It's almost like 'how dare you challenge me! Dont you know who I am?'

Manchester City’s fierce hostility to Uefa’s investigation into the club’s alleged breaches of financial fair play regulations has been laid bare in court documents, which show City sought financial damages from Uefa for alleged leaks of the process to the media.

The furious case mounted by City is detailed in written reasons issued by the court of arbitration for sport for its decision in November to dismiss City’s case. The club had appealed against the decision by the “investigatory chamber” (IC) of Uefa’s club financial control body to charge City with breaches of FFP, and refer the case to the control body’s “adjudicatory chamber” (AC). The IC’s investigation followed publication of internal City emails by the German magazine Der Spiegel which suggested the club had deceived Uefa in their financial submissions, principally because City’s owner, Sheikh Mansour of Abu Dhabi, was funding the club’s sponsorship by the state’s airline, Etihad.

Read more

City deny any wrongdoing and appealed to Cas against the referral by the IC itself, arguing that it was made “improperly and prematurely”, that it “lacked procedural fairness and due process”, and did not treat City equally with other European clubs. City also protested about the leaking in advance of the IC’s intended decision to charge the club, and subsequent media reports, alleging: “Uefa has systematically breached, and continues to breach, its duty of confidence.”

The ferocity of City’s accusations against Uefa drew an emphatic response from Yves Leterme, the IC chair, who wrote on 20 May: “I must vehemently reject your allegations of unlawful activities, either by myself or by any of the members of the Uefa CFCB, in particular of its investigatory chamber. Y our allegations are groundless in the merits and unacceptable in tone. Please be advised that I will not continue such an exchange of correspondence and that I will not respond further to groundless accusations directed against me personally and/or against my fellow members of the IC.”

Cas refused City’s appeal against the referral, ruling that an appeal cannot be made until a final decision by a governing body, and City could make all their arguments at the hearing before the adjudicatory chamber.

However the Cas panel of three lawyers described the media leaks as “worrisome” and questioned how Leterme “could be so confident” that they had not come from the CFCB. They ruled that even if a CFCB member had been responsible for a leak, that did not mean they had not been impartial when reaching the decision to charge City.

The AC was understood to have heard the charges last month, and a decision is awaited. If it finds City guilty of deceiving Uefa over its finances it has the power to ban them from the Champions League, as recommended by the IC.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/feb/12/manchester-city-fury-ffp-case-leaks-court-documents-uefa-cas

Anyone on Twitter will know the chief City writer for the MEN, Stuart Brennan, is deranged but this article is gloriously batshit. 

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-city-liverpool-guardiola-klopp-17736066

How Jurgen Klopp copied Pep Guardiola to create Liverpool FC success

Man City manager has never hidden the fact his success has been based on the quality of his players - now the Merseysiders have followed the same formula

The narrative of this season’s title race has already been written – grand old Liverpool, steeped in history and tradition, conquering the dirty oil money of shallow, plastic Manchester City.

The fact that the tribe of media punditry is teeming with former Liverpool players has set that skewed narrative. But it simply isn’t true, whichever way you look at it.

No-one should take away from what Liverpool have achieved – they are a brilliant team, the best in the world right now, and their brand of high-tempo, high-quality football has set a new bar so far this season.

Their coach has done a magnificent job of building a team and getting them toned and tuned to near-perfection.

But the likeable Jurgen Klopp has only become successful after tearing up his blueprint, dropping his principles, and following the example of Pep Guardiola.

Three years ago, Klopp was sniffily having a pop at Manchester United for spending £89million on Paul Pogba, declaring he would walk away from football if it boiled down to spending big in order to win.

Roll on a couple of years, and Klopp was happily overseeing the biggest annual transfer spend in British football history, as the best part of £240million gave him Virgil Van Dijk, Fabinho, Naby Keita, Alisson, and Xherdan Shaqiri.

No quibble with that – all good buys, who have not only added value to the squad but have also increased their individual values on the transfer market.

Asked to explain his quite stunning U-turn, Klopp was, at least, honest, saying: “Did I change my opinion? Yes. It's better to change your opinion than not have one at all. That's a problem, whatever bull**** you say, no one will forget it.

“It's still kind of true. I couldn't have imagined the world could have changed. £100million was a crazy number but since then the world changed.”

So it was a huge change of mind and heart which turned Liverpool from contenders to Champions League winners and now Premier League certs.

Guardiola never had such noble pretences. He has always been up front about his position – he needs the best players in order to play the highly technical brand of football he loves. And the best players cost money.

This week, Guardiola underlined his view, saying: “I won because I had extraordinary players at big clubs. The incredible managers don't have these players. They don't have these clubs.

“I'm a good manager, but not the best. Give me a team not like Manchester City and I'm not going to win.”

There is too much modesty in Guardiola’s claim – he has made average players very good, good players great, and great players even greater since arriving at City.

And it is evident that assembling top-class players without having a plan and coaching that plan extremely well, does not get results.

City have spent big under Guardiola, but since Klopp’s spectacular U-turn, there is little difference between the two – Liverpool have coughed up about £236million and City around £244million.

That alone is an admission that to be the best, you have to spend bigger than the rest.

Klopp and Guardiola are the best out there, and now they are singing from the same hymn sheet in terms of spending, the battle is truly on.

Mental replies from him in the Twitter thread as well.