You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City - the new bitters?

Naz17

4 minutes ago, GR10 LFC said:

My office is based in Manchester city centre - we've had to go back into the office 2 days a week so I have started going for a run on my lunch while there. Found a good route from the back of Piccadilly upto the Etihad along the canal. Was very surprised last week at how many people were around the stadium - there was clearly some sort of tour going on as a large group was being led across from the stadium to the club shop and then around the stadium, quite a few people getting their pictures with those shit statues of Silva, Kompany and Aguero. So it looks like they are starting to build on the day trippers as well.

Unless the club pays them to be there!

Joking but would it surprise you.

1 minute ago, manwiththestick said:

Unless the club pays them to be there!

Joking but would it surprise you.

Haha! Perhaps

Other interesting thing there is that a brand new arena is being built - supposedly bigger that the MEN (or whatever its called these days). Looks like its sponsored by Co-Op, on the other side of the canal/tramlines from the stadium but I guess that's likely to bring some more day trippers there as well. Why Manchester (as a city) feels it needs two arenas (in a relatively close proximity) is beyond me. 

Link to the new arena site

2 hours ago, GR10 LFC said:

Haha! Perhaps

Other interesting thing there is that a brand new arena is being built - supposedly bigger that the MEN (or whatever its called these days). Looks like its sponsored by Co-Op, on the other side of the canal/tramlines from the stadium but I guess that's likely to bring some more day trippers there as well. Why Manchester (as a city) feels it needs two arenas (in a relatively close proximity) is beyond me. 

Link to the new arena site

I had no idea they were building that. Looks like Amsterdam arena from the inside. 

Utterly pointless. 2.3m apart.

No doubt with it being on "the Ethiad campus", there will be some sort of vastly inflated payment going to City.

They are building another place near the O2 in London as well.

Hopefully they'll shut down the MEN Arena.  Stupid pricks bolting the gate after the horse has bolted with all the shitty anti-terrorist street furniture everywhere and I'm fucking sick of noisy twats staggering onto my street waking me up, pissing and puking everywhere.

On 18/07/2022 at 15:19, GR10 LFC said:

My office is based in Manchester city centre - we've had to go back into the office 2 days a week so I have started going for a run on my lunch while there. Found a good route from the back of Piccadilly upto the Etihad along the canal. Was very surprised last week at how many people were around the stadium - there was clearly some sort of tour going on as a large group was being led across from the stadium to the club shop and then around the stadium, quite a few people getting their pictures with those shit statues of Silva, Kompany and Aguero. So it looks like they are starting to build on the day trippers as well.

You sure that wasn't the trophy parade?

Fair play, they've learnt from us what type of corruption works the best. It's not flash gifts and brown envelopes. It's sitting on a board several years later, gaining six figures for answering a couple of emails. There's usually enough time between the initial back-scratch and the pay off for the recipient to feel they're just being rewarded for their good work. Corruption always works best when people think they're clean.

We've been doing this for generations, we even built an honours system for it.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Ah but the former 3rd Division play off winners are sticking it to the 'legacy' clubs. No doubt the Saudi's will go on a similar spending spree in and around Newcastle so the demented geordies can say they've not only improved the club but also the region.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

They still have the GMEX as well. 

Exactly.  GMEX for expo & Manchester Arena for concerts (even though it's a pain in the arse to get to).  Plus you have the Apollo, the University complex with the Academy venues, the Ritz and all the bars that host live music.  No need for this at all really.  Just a vanity project. 

31 minutes ago, Pete said:

Exactly.  GMEX for expo & Manchester Arena for concerts (even though it's a pain in the arse to get to).  Plus you have the Apollo, the University complex with the Academy venues, the Ritz and all the bars that host live music.  No need for this at all really.  Just a vanity project. 

Manchester? Vanity project?

Surely not.

• 2 weeks later...

Their main excuse for losing yesterday was lack of match sharpness due to only playing 2 pre-season games compared to our 4.

Which is fair enough, I can understand that being the case, but surely that's a tactical decision they've made. Their season finished before ours and they've played half the matches since then, it's not like we've created an unfair advantage. On top of those 4 friendlies we have another one tonight and a behind closed doors one vs Villa the day after the season starts. 

Is pep over thinking it again? They don't have another game til the beginning of the season, and weirdly they have a friendly against Barca booked in between game week 3 and 4.

If I remember right, they bragged they didnt have any warm up games after the season was suspended and just kept fit playing 5 a sides and 11 a sides within their squad before the restart.

Yeah, brilliant idea to only play 2 pre season games when everyone else are playing 4 and 5 games.

I can only presume Guardiola is thinking ahead to the World Cup at the end of November to save legs. Either that or he's being a cocky twat thinking they beat all the other teams in the PL and just go toe to toe with us when they play us.

35 minutes ago, Aventus said:

Their main excuse for losing yesterday was lack of match sharpness due to only playing 2 pre-season games compared to our 4.

Which is fair enough, I can understand that being the case, but surely that's a tactical decision they've made. Their season finished before ours and they've played half the matches since then, it's not like we've created an unfair advantage. On top of those 4 friendlies we have another one tonight and a behind closed doors one vs Villa the day after the season starts. 

Is pep over thinking it again? They don't have another game til the beginning of the season, and weirdly they have a friendly against Barca booked in between game week 3 and 4.

I don't really see it much different in terms of preparation except we're preparing the whole squad. The match in Thailand was a farce. The game before the charity shield and tonight are not really prep games for our likely starting players. I think we went into yesterday not a lot of difference in prep and the real difference was they're used to owning the midfield, even against us, but they were one man light due to playing a number 9 and it didn't work. They'll probably figure it out and against most teams in the league it won't matter anyway. But we beat them because we were easily the better team on the day. It remains to be seen if we can be over 38 matches. 

Great stuff from Souness.

"It’s like Man City," he told Sky Bet. "Man City are going nowhere as long as the owners retain their interest. They’re going to be one of the top teams in the world as long as the people own that football club still want to promote Man City. 

"Then you’ve got the new owners at Newcastle where their owners don’t play second to anyone. So if they want to dominate, you can expect big things at Newcastle."

Richards jumped in, asking: "What about Financial Fair Play?"
Souness hit back: "Are you the correct person who should be asking that? Excuse me, are you really the right person to be asking that question.

"I think I remember one of your board members saying ‘we’ll just be in the courts for 40 years with UEFA’. I’m not sure that’s the right question you should be asking me."

• Like 1
  • Upvote 15

13 hours ago, Reckoner said:

Great stuff from Souness.

"It’s like Man City," he told Sky Bet. "Man City are going nowhere as long as the owners retain their interest. They’re going to be one of the top teams in the world as long as the people own that football club still want to promote Man City. 

"Then you’ve got the new owners at Newcastle where their owners don’t play second to anyone. So if they want to dominate, you can expect big things at Newcastle."

Richards jumped in, asking: "What about Financial Fair Play?"
Souness hit back: "Are you the correct person who should be asking that? Excuse me, are you really the right person to be asking that question.

"I think I remember one of your board members saying ‘we’ll just be in the courts for 40 years with UEFA’. I’m not sure that’s the right question you should be asking me."

Richards doesnt have the intelligence or the stones to argue with Souness.