You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City - the new bitters?

Naz17

6 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Seeing a picture of Guardiola trying look cool by celebrating with a cigar yesterday, I can't help but think either he or one of their PR blerts seen Carlo the other week and thought, yes, we'll do that too and look just as effortlessly cool.

Nah.

Haha I didn't catch on to that, you're definitely right though. There does seem to be some very forced actions coming from pep lately, whether it's crying about everyone loving Liverpool and nobody respecting City, to his other media activities trying to put a clean face to the sportswashing regime. 

29 minutes ago, Pete said:

Regarding the lack of parade attendees I wonder if a lot of the fans are just getting bored with it now.  
Just a remorseless winning machine, hardly any upsets, just grind out the result and move on.  There's no passion there just robotic and emotionless. 

There's more emotional involvement in a team that's been built than a team that's just been bought. We've got the likes of Trent coming through the ranks; Robbo building a great career from the ashes of relegation with Hull; Hendo taking criticism for years but keeping on working until finally getting the respect he deserves; Millie, discarded as surplus-to-requirements by City; even Salah the "Chelsea reject".  Their team has been formed by grazing the sports pages to see who the biggest name is, then throwing hundreds of millions at them. It's tedious and soulless.

If DIC had bought Liverpool and we were carrying on like that, I'm not sure I'd bother my arse to go to a parade.

• Upvote 2

From the Guardian comment section.

I want to nail this myth.

I am not bitter or jealous about Man City. I support a club that's as likely to win anything as Putin is to win the Nobel Peace Prize. The huge majority of supporters are in the same position. Success is a matter of scale. Non-league supporters will enjoy maybe knocking out a League team in the FA Cup, or a good run in the FA Vase. Rochdale or Mansfield fans will relish promotions out of the bottom tier. Huddersfield fans will be delighted if they win the playoffs. Everyone loves a derby win or coming from 1-0 down with ten men or whatever.

And when something truly astonishing does happen, like winning the League Cup in 2011, it's beyond ecstasy. It's a literal once-in-a-lifetime feeling. It's popping your cherry the day you go on the Space Shuttle. It's a feeling the supporter of a club which wins (in the broadest sense) a trophy more than every other year can never understand. Look at the whingeing from Man U or Arsenal because they're only scrabbling for 5th. They have no enjoyment from the game; winning is par for the course. The only emotion is disgust when things go ever so slightly wrong.

So I am not jealous or bitter about Man C's success. Because it's meaningless. When we won the League Cup there was (however tangential) some element of US winning it, because the fan money made a difference, it wasn't a billionaire throwing billions at the club. It was our thing, our has-beens and never weres, the Keith Faheys and the Cameron Jeromes who were suddenly major trophy winners. For that day it was our thing.

Man City? Nope. Just chuck it on the pile. Because you're all extras in someone else's show.

The only debate is what my emotions are. Is it hatred that someone with no concept of the social and ancestral aspects of what a football club means to a community decides consciously to destroy everyone else's hopes and dreams to buy a ticket to the human race? Or is it disgust that so many people who spent so many years detesting what Man U were doing suddenly do a 180 when they get the benefit? Or is it even pity that now doing the missionary job of wearing your team's shirt on holibobs is not "missionary" work but making you look the ultimate bandwagoner?

Not sure. I'm betting the huge majority is not jealous of a head of state buying what that majority was never going to get anyway. But Man City fans have to hide behind that idea that other fans or bitter or jealous to feed their supposed superiority. Trust me, we're not bitter or jealous. We are...contemptuous of it.

• Upvote 15

2 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

Seeing a picture of Guardiola trying look cool by celebrating with a cigar yesterday, I can't help but think either he or one of their PR blerts seen Carlo the other week and thought, yes, we'll do that too and look just as effortlessly cool.

Nah.

It was a big planned event. Before it, BBC NWT were banging on how guardiola had bought 50 cigars for everyone to celebrate with. But not just once, every time they went back live, the cunt brought it up again. It's really weird. I thought it was his attempt of doing this. 

0_Jurgen-Klopp-is-Bladdered-I-love-him.jpg

51 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

It was a big planned event. Before it, BBC NWT were banging on how guardiola had bought 50 cigars for everyone to celebrate with. But not just once, every time they went back live, the cunt brought it up again. It's really weird. I thought it was his attempt of doing this. 

I just hope we win on Saturday and show them what a parade should look like.

1 minute ago, manwiththestick said:

I just hope we win on Saturday and show them what a parade should look like.

if we win on saturday they will be the last thing i am thinking about! in fact my biggest worry is how i will party saturday night, which pubs are open till when and what is the earliest time i can get up and drive the car back to try and make the parade sunday! 

5 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I thought it was nice of him to buy a cigar for each of the fans who turned out. What other manager would do that.

• Upvote 9

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

I thought it was nice of him to buy a cigar for each of the fans who turned out. What other manager would do that.

Klopp. Only he’d buy everyone an Erdinger.  

Serious question (money aside), how much harder must it be each time to go toe to toe with us for 38 games, win the league by essentially a goal and then find out that nobody gives a flying fuck about it.

Compound this with a frankly embarrassing turnout for a parade and the possibility of having to stomach us winning the CL with massive media coverage and a proper big boy’s parade and it’s no wonder Guardiola’s gradually going insane.

• Upvote 3

I wouldn’t mind betting that, even allowing for the money, Guardiola, and a few of the city players, look around the Etihad from time to time and wonder why they bother.

Especially when they come to Anfield, or watch us on the telly in European finals and see what it’s like to be fully appreciated.

32 minutes ago, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

Serious question (money aside), how much harder must it be each time to go toe to toe with us for 38 games, win the league by essentially a goal and then find out that nobody gives a flying fuck about it.

Compound this with a frankly embarrassing turnout for a parade and the possibility of having to stomach us winning the CL with massive media coverage and a proper big boy’s parade and it’s no wonder Guardiola’s gradually going insane.

By the looks of things man city fans don't even care about it anymore, they're very busy on social media trying to force some banter about us missing out on the quadruple and funnily enough talking about the champions league final quite a lot. 

They're so irrelevant they've already had to focus on our next game to try and claw the attention back a bit. 

9 hours ago, Aventus said:

By the looks of things man city fans don't even care about it anymore, they're very busy on social media trying to force some banter about us missing out on the quadruple and funnily enough talking about the champions league final quite a lot. 

They're so irrelevant they've already had to focus on our next game to try and claw the attention back a bit. 

Basically, rich Evertonians.

17 hours ago, coachpotato said:

I wouldn’t mind betting that, even allowing for the money, Guardiola, and a few of the city players, look around the Etihad from time to time and wonder why they bother.

Especially when they come to Anfield, or watch us on the telly in European finals and see what it’s like to be fully appreciated.

Makka Salah gets more of a cheer for scoring at Anfield than Sterling does at the Etihad.

On 23/05/2022 at 22:42, Anubis said:

Wor Kev looks gutted at the lack of turnout.

Fuck him, the tit. He chose to go there and he chose to extend his contract. He deserves a parade like that because he knew what he was signing up for. They all did.

When he hangs it up he'll be like Aguero. People will look back at his career and say "why the fuck did you waste it there? You should have been at a massive club".

• Upvote 2