You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City - the new bitters?

Naz17

15 hours ago, waddy78 said:

The home team should lose 3 pts and have to play the next 2 home games behind closed doors with only the away fans allowed in, The premier league is spineless so it won't happen just like FFP there is no punishment for the big boys in the Premier League but the lower league teams get fucked for a financial irregularities 

Nah, you can't do a points deduction. It's a simple way for dicks of other clubs to turn up at your ground and get you a points deduction. Make individuals punished for their actions. Ensure they're prosecuted. Ensure they get lifetime bans. Ensure they go to prison if they break those bans. Obviously you can't arrest everyone if it is scenes like at forest or Everton last week, but there are plenty you can arrest and identify. It's the only way. Punishing clubs just opens the door to more fucking wackos. 

13 hours ago, Arniepie said:

Someone posted the other day all the big clubs are complicit in the situation we have today

Most definitely the prime movers in the creation of the Premier league.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/talksport.com/football/267582/premier-league-transfer-fees-biggest-spending-clubs-last-25-years-revealed-170810249934/amp/

If this is right upto 2017 they had completely blown us out of the water.

The clubs are also complicit in the ownerships we have. They didn't want Saudi near the table, often giving the impression it was about human rights, sometimes about nations not being able to run clubs and sportswash. But the reality was as soon as they settled a small squabble over TV rights piracy, it was waved through in moments. All the biggest clubs (and plenty of the not biggest) are owned by private equity investors who are only here to make money. It's not in their interests to stop those with money to throw around having access to buying clubs, it helps pump the value of their own asset and enables their exit plan. 

Have to laugh at the likes of Richards expressing incredulity that City aren't more lauded for winning the league.

It's hard to work out if they're just ignoring the elephant in the room, or are so shortsighted they can't see it.

Claiming in 10 to 20 years people will look back and appreciate the achievements more. No, in a decade or two it'll be like the Calciopoli scandal, and people will be wondering how no one noticed. It's proper "who knew Saville was a nonce?" territory we're headed for.

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

Society on a whole seems to be breaking down at the moment so not surprised 'fans' are charging onto the pitch, slapping players and acting like fuckwits. 

All being enabled in one way shape or form by the shitehawk supposedly leading the country.

• Upvote 1

The Athletic. 

"At a board meeting early this year, MCFC execs were presented with a plan requiring no more than £190m. When they asked what the money was for, they were told "a player". It has long been kept secret but this is the story of City's deal for Erling Haaland."

I think the thing for me was seeing Liverpool amass the largest ever point total in the combined histories of themselves, Manchester United, Arsenal and not win a league title. That should have sent of a flashing alarm somewhere, but no there was very little step back and overall review of what is happening to the game, "It's great they're investing so much" seems to be the view.

I think what Klopp and the team have achieved has been nothing short of amazing he has taken on one of the wealthiest nation states on the planet and has beaten them on one occasion and has got very close on two others.

I do find their behavior and utter petulance in recent years directed towards Liverpool pretty strange as the challenge the club have brought has actually lent their ridiculous financial doping legitimacy, otherwise people would be a lot more opposed to it. If it weren't for Liverpool the points gap would be pretty ridiculous.

For other opposition fans they are reveling in the fact Liverpool can't win the title, well we'll see how happy they are when it's either a binary choice of Newcastle/Manchester City or an occasional Manchester United or Chelsea win for decades on end.

To be fair though there is a degree of hypocrisy here from myself as I really enjoyed Manchester United being prevented from winning the league by Manchester City in 2012, I look back and almost regret that now, it was a sign of things to come.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The Athletic. 

"At a board meeting early this year, MCFC execs were presented with a plan requiring no more than £190m. When they asked what the money was for, they were told "a player". It has long been kept secret but this is the story of City's deal for Erling Haaland."

How do they do it?

Winning 4 league titles out of 5 on such meager resources?

1 hour ago, an tha said:

They really need to stop giving this blert column inches and airtime.

He is a fucking moron, who talks total shite....blinkered and myopic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61538708

It's a modern mystery how he and the likes of dion Dublin are presumably paid not inconsiderate sums of money to give their,ahem, expert opinion.

13 minutes ago, Moctezuma said:

I think the thing for me was seeing Liverpool amass the largest ever point total in the combined histories of themselves, Manchester United, Arsenal and not win a league title. That should have sent of a flashing alarm somewhere, but no there was very little step back and overall review of what is happening to the game, "It's great they're investing so much" seems to be the view.

I think what Klopp and the team have achieved has been nothing short of amazing he has taken on one of the wealthiest nation states on the planet and has beaten them on one occasion and has got very close on two others.

I do find their behavior and utter petulance in recent years directed towards Liverpool pretty strange as the challenge the club have brought has actually lent their ridiculous financial doping legitimacy, otherwise people would be a lot more opposed to it. If it weren't for Liverpool the points gap would be pretty ridiculous.

For other opposition fans they are reveling in the fact Liverpool can't win the title, well we'll see how happy they are when it's either a binary choice of Newcastle/Manchester City or an occasional Manchester United or Chelsea win for decades on end.

To be fair though there is a degree of hypocrisy here from myself as I really enjoyed Manchester United being prevented from winning the league by Manchester City in 2012, I look back and almost regret that now, it was a sign of things to come.

Before city came along utd and Chelsea utterly dominated domestically for about 15 years. 

That's why Leicesters win was seen as such a fairy tale.It was an utter aberration.

For most teams city coming along has meant just 1 team dominating instead of 2.

27 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Is this the right thread to mention that Liam Gallagher being a massive helmet?

Liam Gallagher is a massive helmet.

He's made a living by trying to copy Scousers, he's even named his kid after a Scouser, and yet he seems obsessed with trying to wind up Scousers. He's a thick manc, which is to say, a manc.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

He's just following up on Guardiola's tedious 'everybody hates us' shite narrative. Mourinho did it badly and Feguson did it well. Nobody calls City's style of play boring, what's boring is the way they steamroller through the league year after year and any bumps in the road are flattened with another 100 million or two. 

There's two ways to rule a realm,  those three did it with fear, Klopp does it with love. 

If you offered me 10 years of no trophies but good football, cracking players, Klopp and great European nights, or trophies with Guariola's bitter, angry mentalism. I'd take Klopp all day long. 

Agree with the vast, vast majority of that - especially your final paragraph, but I do take issue with part of it.

I do think city’s style of play is boring. I thought it if Pep’s Barca team too. It’s technically and tactically brilliant, and that’s why they’re so good, but I find it utterly tedious to watch.

• Upvote 1

Lineker let slip on MOTD a few weeks ago that Richards was an ambassador, presumably paid, for city, so his writing is not going to criticise or call anything remotely negative about them.

It seems after Guardiola’s comments as well, that there’s a concerted attempt by city to undermine Liverpool by criticising the media for being in support of us but not them.

They will have a “propaganda” department of some kind that will monitor all the opinions being voiced, and if any of them go against their narrative, they’ll no doubt pay handsomely to have counter opinions, arguments etc, put out there to reinforce the squeaky clean image they want to portray.

1 hour ago, Arniepie said:

It's a modern mystery how he and the likes of dion Dublin are presumably paid not inconsiderate sums of money to give their,ahem, expert opinion.

The media are not going to call out that the product they pay so much for is broken and corrupt. This is why it's not raised. And it's why very few journos take city on. There's just no appetite for undermining the reputation of the league, it's much easier to pretend none of that is happening and how city and guardiola are here to enrich the premier League and our lives. 

26 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

The media are not going to call out that the product they pay so much for is broken and corrupt. This is why it's not raised. And it's why very few journos take city on. There's just no appetite for undermining the reputation of the league, it's much easier to pretend none of that is happening and how city and guardiola are here to enrich the premier League and our lives. 

It's no such he is biased, he is utterly clueless.

You could literally walk into Any pub in Liverpool..and have a more reasoned conversation on footy

1 hour ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Agree with the vast, vast majority of that - especially your final paragraph, but I do take issue with part of it.

I do think city’s style of play is boring. I thought it if Pep’s Barca team too. It’s technically and tactically brilliant, and that’s why they’re so good, but I find it utterly tedious to watch.

Yep. If you said it during his Barca days you'd get shouted down by hipsters. The sheer technical feat of it was incredible, but as a footballing spectacle it was boring as fuck to watch.

Every chance of a direct attack, a 40 yard screamer, lobbing the keeper, all spurned in favour of cutting back inside, recycling possession and throttling the opposition. Efficient, but dull.

• Upvote 1

Normally you try to have class and give the team that wins credit. They are a fantastic team with a great manager. That's where it ends though. I think they are a monstrosity to football. Their fans are classless cunts who seem more concerned with laughing at us coming second rather than enjoying being first. Genuinely when we won the title, I didn't give a fuck about the supporters of other clubs. 

Thing is other fans rejoice because we are old money. I guess we do the same when the Red Mancs come second so pot kettle black. It just shows that people view them as fake. The old Big Four was us, United, Everton and Arsenal (they used to call it the big 5 but I never viewed Spurs in it). Guess what Blueshite, they are one behind you now. Guess what Arsenal, they aren't far off you either. Tick tock tick tock and they will be coming up on us and United as well. Maybe people will take action but I don't think so. Sure Newcastle will be up there in a few years to provide competition and Mbappe will be earning 5 million a week with them. And it's live

Sounds rather shit but at least as long as Jurgen is here, we have a huge chance every year. I actually think next year will be a leveller with the world cup. Hopefully Belgium and Portugal go far and their main players come back exhausted. I think our players will be so fired up a about losing by a point that some of the sloppy results from the first part of the season won't happen. At the very least, we are both so far ahead of everyone else. I am convinced we will win the league next year. Yeah Haaland is brilliant but he has to fit into a system that works so well. Could be a world class version of Jack Grealish with weeks of him finding his feet while they accommodate him - I do think he will ultimately be a success.

Anyhow, we have next week so not like we don't have anything to look forward to Redmen.

• Upvote 1

Noel Gallagher was on Talk Sport this morning, moaning about how City aren't viewed as greats.

If that's what you're worried about the day after youve won the league, then I suggest taking up a different hobby mate, cos you're not really enjoying this one. 

• Upvote 2