You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City - the new bitters?

Naz17

2 minutes ago, DaveT said:

But at least they did it off the back of revenues they generated themselves, capitalising on their popularity and commercial astuteness. As opposed to being the fortunate choice of an oil state desperate to bleach its petro dollars 

Someone posted the other day all the big clubs are complicit in the situation we have today

Most definitely the prime movers in the creation of the Premier league.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/talksport.com/football/267582/premier-league-transfer-fees-biggest-spending-clubs-last-25-years-revealed-170810249934/amp/

If this is right upto 2017 they had completely blown us out of the water.

6 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Utd earned it , City have earned fuck all, they won the lottery. It was bestowed upon them. 

How did they earn it?

They didn't win their own league for a quarter of a century and when the Premier league came along they hoovered up.

How many multi million pound duds did they buy in the 00s?and they would just go out go out and buy someone else.

there seems to be this romantic notion that before city came along there was a level playing field.

Time for EPL II or whatever the fuck you want to call it. Invite the historically big clubs in the lower leagues. Ensure FFP only spending what you can afford.  Fuck Sky off and sort it club TV deals.   See how they feel about this and if they take action against the oil clubs.  

Possibly the beer and disappointment of today talking but fed up with being cheated out of titles by a no mark club with shite fans and a massive inferiority complex.  

7 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

How did they earn it?

They didn't win their own league for a quarter of a century and when the Premier league came along they hoovered up.

How many multi million pound duds did they buy in the 00s?and they would just go out go out and buy someone else.

there seems to be this romantic notion that before city came along there was a level playing field.

We didn’t win our league for 30 years, did we not earn it ? They earned it by being a legendary club supported the world over via the success they EARNED

13 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

How did they earn it?

The mancs made their money fair and square by being clever commercially and embracing the change in football....and using and growing even further their massive fanbase.

For example whilst we stood still and had a portacabin in main stand car park selling about half a dozen 'souvenirs' they were building a 'megastore'....

They weren't having money pumped in by an Arab state and dodgy overinflated sponsorship deals giving them an unfair advantage - they built what they built through being in the right place at right time yeah, but they exploited it brilliantly.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

We didn’t win our league for 30 years, did we not earn it ? They earned it by being a legendary club supported the world over via the success they EARNED

They only became the most successful club in the country in the 90s,coincidentally at a time when money came flooding into the game.

3 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

They only became the most successful club in the country in the 90s,coincidentally at a time when money came flooding into the game.

I mean they were a football institution waaaaaay before that. Busby babes, European cup winners, Duncan Edwards, George Best , Bobby Charlton. Are you taking the piss?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

The mancs made their money fair and square by being clever commercially and embracing the change in football.

For example whilst we stood still and had a portacabin in main stand car park selling about half a dozen 'souvenirs' they were building a 'megastore'....

They weren't having money pumped in by an Arab state and dodgy overinflated sponsorship deals giving them an unfair advantage - they built what they built through being in the right place at right time yeah, but they exploited it brilliantly.

They certainly exploited that football boom in the 90s but there was certainly a lot of good fortune there.

I just think saying the problem begins and ends with City is a touch revisionist.

This is all began with the Premier league..then you had Blackburn and Chelsea.. now its city and Newcastle. 

Let's be honest here of some Arabian billionaires bought out the yanks 90% of our fans would be made up.

2 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

I mean they were a football institution waaaaaay before that. Busby babes, European cup winners, Duncan Edwards, George Best , Bobby Charlton. Are you taking the piss?

As someone has pointed out on here on the past ,they really only have had 2 sustained periods of success..under Busby and in the 90s..to 'earn something surely you have to be best consistently?

And why are they are a football 'institution'exactly?

Forest had won the same no of Europeean cups as them until the end of the 90s.

I'm not taking the piss..I'm genuinely curious?

Just now, Arniepie said:

As someone has pointed out on here on the past ,they really only have had 2 sustained periods of success..under Busby and in the 90s..to 'earn something surely you have to be best consistently?

And why are they are a football 'institution'exactly?

Forest had won the same no of Europeean cups as them until the end of the 90s.

I'm not taking the piss..I'm genuinely curious?

If you honestly don’t  know why Utd have earned it and City haven’t then we’re done, there’s nothing more I can tell you.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

They certainly exploited that football boom in the 90s but there was certainly a lot of good fortune there.

I just think saying the problem begins and ends with City is a touch revisionist.

This is all began with the Premier league..then you had Blackburn and Chelsea.. now its city and Newcastle. 

Let's be honest here of some Arabian billionaires bought out the yanks 90% of our fans would be made up.

City have taken the money thing to a new and dirtier and grubbier level and of course have through that taken the ask to win titles to levels that are ridiculous - when 97 and 92 pts is not enough to win title game is fucked.

It is one thing taking advantage of and riding wave of the change in football that happened in the 90's but it is another altogether flat out cheating and having total disregard for the flimsiest of financial rules.

10 minutes ago, an tha said:

City have taken the money thing to a new and dirtier and grubbier level and of course have through that taken the ask to win titles to levels that are ridiculous - when 97 and 92 pts is not enough to win title game is fucked.

It is one thing taking advantage of and riding wave of the change in football that happened in the 90's but it is another altogether flat out cheating and having total disregard for the flimsiest of financial rules.

Having the biggest naming rights in sports circa 2013 is something I didn’t know until just know…and perhaps the most conclusive evidence that nothing will be done. As far as I’m concerned, that means that no level of cheating is off the table - in fact, it makes me absolutely certain that they’ve greased the palms of people in high places to ensure things go their way - they benefitted from decisions this season that really couldn’t have been rendered if all were above board. 

Still, I reckon there would be no consequences if they were conclusively found guilty of literally paying off referees or PL executives. The same old coterie of empty headed and glassy eyed pundits would be marvelling at how Pap and his astonishing men of wonder do it a week later.

12 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Having the biggest naming rights in sports circa 2013 is something I didn’t know until just know…and perhaps the most conclusive evidence that nothing will be done. As far as I’m concerned, that means that no level of cheating is off the table - in fact, it makes me absolutely certain that they’ve greased the palms of people in high places to ensure things go their way - they benefitted from decisions this season that really couldn’t have been rendered if all were above board. 

Still, I reckon there would be no consequences if they were conclusively found guilty of literally paying off referees or PL executives. The same old coterie of empty headed and glassy eyed pundits would be marvelling at how Pap and his astonishing men of wonder do it a week later.

Their owners come from a culture where money is everything and you can buy anything and do whatever you want when you have the most of it - there is simply no stopping them, it does not even enter their minds to worry about rules/regs/sanctions etc - for them the money just means they can walk all over any of that.

It is literally like super mario when he gets the mushroom - he can just brush aside everything, jump over everything, run through everything....

They have the mushroom all the time - they have zero fear, zero care, zero respect for anything that could stop them....their money they believe just swats it all away.

• Upvote 1

The PL won’t do anything because City will just hire an army of commercial lawyers and tie them into expensive and prolonged litigation that they won’t want to pay for, and because they quite enjoy the kudos of having a team that can buy any player in the world. 

I think it’ll be so much harder for us to compete for the league in the next few seasons.

16 minutes ago, Anubis said:

The PL won’t do anything because City will just hire an army of commercial lawyers and tie them into expensive and prolonged litigation that they won’t want to pay for, and because they quite enjoy the kudos of having a team that can buy any player in the world. 

I think it’ll be so much harder for us to compete for the league in the next few seasons.

That's the annoying/worrying/disappointing thing.  This is one of the best Liverpool teams of all time yet it has a limited shelf life and it's being denied titles by cheating.  We should have surpassed the red mancs by now and be totally and utterly "back on our perch" but thanks the the oil cheats we're stuck on 19 (for which I am eternally gratefulf for) and probably will be a good while unless the authorities do something. 

On to Paris and #7 all being well. We are Liverpool. Fuck the rest

Why isn't (for want of a better phrase) the woke world targeting all the brands associating themselves with City and questioning why they are choosing to align themselves and/or provide their players with lucrative sponsorship deals?

When it's straightforward misogyny, racism, ageism or because 200 years ago the company founder dropped litter regularly in the local park, brands are backpedaling, furiously apologising and seeking ways to rectify the egregious position they have found themselves in. Is calling out these brands for aligning with and leveraging the illicit successes delivered by this regime beyond today's outrage?

Most brands these days are caught up trying to navigate and ensure they have implemented policies on equality, diversity and inclusion in their workplace and supply chain. I wonder how many of those policies would get any traction over there? 

City's own(ed) sponsoring brands is one thing obviously, but questioning player sponsorships deals invites media coverage and raises specific questions of integrity to both brands and players. 

28 minutes ago, an tha said:

They really need to stop giving this blert column inches and airtime.

He is a fucking moron, who talks total shite....blinkered and myopic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61538708

He's just following up on Guardiola's tedious 'everybody hates us' shite narrative. Mourinho did it badly and Feguson did it well. Nobody calls City's style of play boring, what's boring is the way they steamroller through the league year after year and any bumps in the road are flattened with another 100 million or two. 

There's two ways to rule a realm,  those three did it with fear, Klopp does it with love. 

If you offered me 10 years of no trophies but good football, cracking players, Klopp and great European nights, or trophies with Guariola's bitter, angry mentalism. I'd take Klopp all day long. 

• Upvote 1