You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City - the new bitters?

Naz17

3 hours ago, Section_31 said:

They just don't belong in these places and they know it. It's like a YouTube millionaire going to the Savoy for the night, ordering a Fosters and deliberately leaving a skidmark on the bed. 

"I'm afraid I'll have to ask you to leave the Champions League sir, you're upsetting the other guests."

There is no "belong" though is there, look at Villarreal, how they've grown into the European scene in recent years. A club of that size. It's great. More English clubs should follow their lead, rather than sniffing at "lower" competitions. Glad that some finally have this season, all the best to them (except West ham who we need to play City properly).

There is an "earned" though and City definitely haven't earned that respect. They've bought it and they know it.

4 hours ago, Mook said:

I agree to an extent but I didn't see Klopp take much shite in the media for spending £50m+ on Keita while he spent his first three years at Anfield being crap.

I think when managers are winning, they get away with buying flops, Ferguson bought his fair share too.

To be fair, injuries aside, we won the league for the first time in 30 years, and the CL, and everyone had a hard time during the Covid season, so I don't think you can level the argument at Klopp's signing having failed.  

Grealish might yet be a decent signing for Guardiola, but he'll never be the sort of elite player that costs £100m.  No pace, not a great finisher, but then he was the same at Villa, not his fault someone paid X2 Diaz for him. 

5 hours ago, El Rojo said:

The great thing about City is that they're such a bespoke tactical creation of Guardiola's, an arrival like Haaland would mean they'd have to completely change an approach that's worked well for them. I actually think Jesus is really underrated for them when they actually play a striker. 

They won't be finding another de Bruyne, as there isn't one. 

Agree, people talk about Haaland like he's going to be a 12th player on the field.  No, they'll have to field 1 less player in midfield, and that changes their approach, unless they want to play Haaland wide left or right, which will be fucking hilarious. 

• Upvote 1

Miguel Delaney really adding that salt! That's some serious choking! The coward would never take a lowly job either!

Miguel Delaney
@MiguelDelaney

Of Guardiola's 11 Champions League eliminations, EIGHT have seen decisive periods that were sudden collapses/flurries of goals conceded

2010 - 2 in 13 minutes
2014 - 3 in 18
2015 - 3 in 17
2017 - 2 in 8
2018- 3 in 19
2019- 2 in 3
2020- 2 in 8
2022- 3 in 6

8 minutes ago, Nolongerathletic said:

Miguel Delaney really adding that salt! That's some serious choking! The coward would never take a lowly job either!

Miguel Delaney
@MiguelDelaney

Of Guardiola's 11 Champions League eliminations, EIGHT have seen decisive periods that were sudden collapses/flurries of goals conceded

2010 - 2 in 13 minutes
2014 - 3 in 18
2015 - 3 in 17
2017 - 2 in 8
2018- 3 in 19
2019- 2 in 3
2020- 2 in 8
2022- 3 in 6

Flaky manager, flaky team. 

City fans have got a horrible hollow feeling this morning, they know the club is all fake, hype and built on corruption and human rights abuse. You can't buy history, passion or authenticity. City bottled it in the few minutes because their players are not used to full stadiums with proper life long fans. It's more than a victory for Real Madrid, it's a victory for how english football used to be before it was used for sports washing by dictatorships. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

Reading Henry Winter's report this morning, it was as if City had won the game. It was all in all a very odd bit of writing from a very odd man:

"There was a manager on the bus in Pep Guardiola" - he can't have welcomed THAT!

"Grealish soon had the beating of Real’s defence" - yes, of course he did, Henry.

"It also needs emphasising how much City missed the injured John Stones" - does it really?

"A special force permeates the Bernabéu, a belief as soaring as the tiers that reach for the sky" - I can't take much more of this.

"Grealish came on for Jesus, and was magnificent" - talk about nailing it. Ok, I'm done.

Did he fuck off after 85 minutes to beat the traffic?

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I'm probably a bit late to this, but those away kits with "Man City" written on them are fucking embarrassing.

They really are, but all the Puma kits are same this year....fuck knows who thought it was a good idea.

Looks like really shite club shop tat.

24 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I'm probably a bit late to this, but those away kits with "Man City" written on them are fucking embarrassing.

And what were those tops about that had some acronym on them, that Pep wore? What the fuck did they stand for?

Another bonus is we get a bigger cut of the TV money because we're the only English team in the final. We would have had to share it with them lot if they had gone through. 

Not the best thing about last night, but it's a few extra sprinkles on an already fantastically decorated cake. 

51 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Did he fuck off after 85 minutes to beat the traffic?

The whole Winter family sound like bourgeois whackoes. His brother Timothy, for example, is a frightfully delightful fellow who, having gone to Westminster School, obviously fashions himself an 'Islamic neo-traditionalist' and simply cannot wait for the next World Cup:

image.jpeg.573f57d1f7c4d195324f0e89f01aadea.jpeg

Then there's Mike and Bernie...

1 hour ago, aws said:

Real will be straight back to being shit if we beat them. 

haha Absolutely. I can see the fuckers now

Bland Tithead - Well guys that was a brilliant win for the reds 7 European Cups now

RIO - Well yeah but this is a really old team 

Bland Tithead - But they knocked out City, PSG and Chelsea

RIO - Yeah but how much luck did they have? Well past their use  by date.

Mcmanaman - How many of those Real players would get in this Liverpool team, Or City maybe one

RIO - If that Macca

Bland Tithead - Jesus Christ

RIO - No he wouldn't get in 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Pidge said:

There is no "belong" though is there, look at Villarreal, how they've grown into the European scene in recent years. A club of that size. It's great. More English clubs should follow their lead, rather than sniffing at "lower" competitions. Glad that some finally have this season, all the best to them (except West ham who we need to play City properly).

There is an "earned" though and City definitely haven't earned that respect. They've bought it and they know it.

There is definitely a belong. One of the things which makes football great is the proud tradition of great clubs, their former managers, their great players and the nights in their grounds which have contributed to the wider game as a whole.

I take your point about being glad other sides can get there eventually, but your club earns its rep over time. 

I remember in the 90s and Lazio pioneered this galacticos bollocks, but I still never considered them anywhere near Milan, who were pretty shit for a while, I'm sure they were finishing about 10th at one point.

When arsenal won the double I didn't begrudge them as I consider them a proper club, with history.

The culture of a club and a fanbase has to mature naturally, there are no shortcuts.

Chelsea have been doing this for 20 years and they're still not considered amidst the top tier like us, Ajax, Inter etc. Because it wasn't hard won. It means nothing.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Pidge said:

Exactly this. They are cos-playing a big club. 

City and the great clubs of Europe. 

Remember Gullit's goal against Steaua Bucharest?

Yes, it was like when we fed the goat in the playoff semi against Wigan, many Carling glasses were smashed in Stockport spoons that night I can tell you.

• Upvote 1