You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City - the new bitters?

Naz17

5 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

I think if you give up in your head, you're done. Sure, city are favourites but no, it hasnt gone yet for me.

Sorry to keep banging the drum but people should be complaining about city's spending. On another thread there's a comment on them spending 50m for Mendy and 40m for Ake. Ake was bought as cover. 40m for cover, let that sink in. That's the problem not our club's spending. We paid that for Jota with Hoever getting us £12m and people dont see the good business in that?

Bizarre world.

Don't disagree with any of that Docker.

Still do think that besides the wealth of City, there is no reason why we can't keep Mo and aim for players like Bellingham. Our owners are very wealthy businessmen. Yeah there is a disparity between us competing with a country over our billionaire owners, but it hasn't stopped United spend (badly). 

FSG are very astute and have made some very good decisions. They seem to get good people in around the club, who know what they are doing. Getting the best manager in the world and good business people. It's saved them a fortune. They play the poor mouth very well when they are billionaires though. I'm sure they would love to see us win the biggest trophies, but their main goal is top 4 each year. With that type of limited ambition compared to City, we will quickly fall back once Jurgen leaves.

I think we win one more title under Jurgen and possibly a Champions League. Elliott will be a gigantic star, while Tsimikas, Jones and Kelleher will impress and become important players to varying degress in the coming years. A fortune saved right there. We might unearth another lad from the academy who could be absolutely boss or one of the young lads signed from elsewhere will be top class. Jurgen will get us one or two Jota deals and save them a fortune. He leaves with the team in very good shape - a master craftsman defying the odds. They get a very good manager in, but guess what it won't be Jurgen and then top 4 becomes a fight because Chelsea and City compete for glory, Newcastle are on the scene big style by then and the Mancs always spend. All we need is a rejuvenated Arsenal and an outstanding manager at another club and suddenly boom it's a fight for the Europa. We watch Bellingham or some of the others we should have bought become world class players. If they aren't prepared to spend their considerable wealth, then they can jog on as far as I'm concerned. 

5 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

It doesn't count when we do it to dockers. He's like a blue, only Liverpool have the Corinthian spirit and the rest of football is evil. 

You have to wonder what fans of most of the other clubs in the country, would think about liverpoo l fans complaining about other clubs spending ridiculous sums of money.

5 hours ago, SlugTrail said:

You know we paid 36m for Konate, he might be seen as a potential first teamer in a year or 2 but for now he's cover.

Touche! Although Id say van Dijk tenuously coming back from a serious injury, Joe still unfit and Im not sure how Matip was, there was a need for us to make a signing whereas city and Ake wasnt.

8 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

I think if you give up in your head, you're done. Sure, city are favourites but no, it hasnt gone yet for me.

Sorry to keep banging the drum but people should be complaining about city's spending. On another thread there's a comment on them spending 50m for Mendy and 40m for Ake. Ake was bought as cover. 40m for cover, let that sink in. That's the problem not our club's spending. We paid that for Jota with Hoever getting us £12m and people dont see the good business in that?

Bizarre world.

No, fuck that! That's an excuse. We beat them when they were outspending us and we can do it again. 

18 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Touche! Although Id say van Dijk tenuously coming back from a serious injury, Joe still unfit and Im not sure how Matip was, there was a need for us to make a signing whereas city and Ake wasnt.

Wasn't Laporte just coming back from a long term injury at the time.

7 hours ago, No2 said:

https://www.secondcaptains.com/2022/01/17/episode-2236-city-for-me-or-not-for-me-everton-squanderfest/

Excellent podcast on the soullessness of machine the momey has built.

Thanks for posting this it encapsulates a lot of the issues with City quite well. I often think a major problem the endless super hero movies that clog up the worlds cinemas and TV screens have is a distinct lack of threat, this is an issue with City. There is an inevitability to their success due to the resources involved. 

They are highly likely to win the Champions League at some point and when they do I will shrug, it will just be boringly inevitable.

17 hours ago, SlugTrail said:

You know we paid 36m for Konate, he might be seen as a potential first teamer in a year or 2 but for now he's cover.

Bollocks really , no one expected Matip to be so consistently fit and available this year. The likelihood at the time was he'd be playing a lot of games and still might . I'd actually forgotten Ake had signed for them cunts

8 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

No idea, Im not clued up on city's injuries like your goodself.

Nor am I which is why I posed the question. Being passive aggressive to fain ignorance isn't a nice trait. 

All I can remember is Laporte had a season ending injury the year we won the title (which was an excuse trotted out by city fans for us winning it), pretty sure that was the season Bournemouth got relegated which is when Ake was sold to City.

1 hour ago, SlugTrail said:

Nor am I which is why I posed the question. Being passive aggressive to fain ignorance isn't a nice trait. 

All I can remember is Laporte had a season ending injury the year we won the title (which was an excuse trotted out by city fans for us winning it), pretty sure that was the season Bournemouth got relegated which is when Ake was sold to City.

If memory serves, Laporte missed about half the season. For most of that time, P€p played Fernandinho at centre back and kept his Argentinian centre back Otamendi on the bench. Laporte was back playing by the end of the season. Subsequently they spent £102 million on Dias and Ake. They also spent another £52m on Torres, Stevanovic, Bustos, Rosa and Kabore (whoever that last 4 are), whilst getting their money back on Leroy Sane. 
They are operating in a different universe to us. 

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, DaveT said:

If memory serves, Laporte missed about half the season. For most of that time, P€p played Fernandinho at centre back and kept his Argentinian centre back Otamendi on the bench. Laporte was back playing by the end of the season. Subsequently they spent £102 million on Dias and Ake. They also spent another £52m on Torres, Stevanovic, Bustos, Rosa and Kabore (whoever that last 4 are), whilst getting their money back on Leroy Sane. 

To be fair we are operating more along the lines of Tottenham although they have relaxed their purse strings a little recently.

43 minutes ago, DaveT said:

The Podcast I linked above spelt it out excellently, they are playing without jeopardy. The cards are all stacked in their favour in a way never seen before. When the Mancs lost Cantona they lost the league and then again when they lost Keane, equally Arsenal wouldn't have won a title if Henry or Viera got an injury, even the first Chelsea Mourinho team wouldn't have won if they lost Terry, Lampard or Drogba. Back in the day I'm sure we wouldn't have won a league missing a Souness or Dalglish and we know what happened when we lost Virgil. 

They have lost De Bruyne for half the season and its gone unnoticed. Their left back is in jail. The current player of the year was the on the bench against the European Champions and they faced one shot on target. City would need to lose 3 centre backs and Rodri for them to be impacted. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, SlugTrail said:

Being passive aggressive to fain ignorance? What, bit like smug condescension, you mean? Yeah carry on.

1 hour ago, DaveT said:

Good points. Seems lost on many.

It’s what I’ve been saying for years, they’re just unbelievably dull, nobody gives a fuck when the win anything. Their existence is just met with pure apathy.

Nothing about them is remotely interesting, there’s something dystopian and shit about that shite stadium, the double advertising hoardings, the shit camera angle, the dead atmosphere, their lack of fans and lack of songs they have. 

Their football is robotic and extremely boring to watch, there’s a lack of jeopardy when they play, it’s the antithesis of why people love the game.

Their players also bore the shit out of me, and that wasn’t the case. Previous iterations of their sides had character and personality. The likes of Robinho, Adebayor, Bellamy, Richards, Zabaleta, Kolarov, Kompany, Tevez, D. Silva, Ballotelli, Aguero, Yaya Toure, Nasri and Dzeko all had character and identity compared to the mundane shite they serve up now.

51 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

It’s what I’ve been saying for years, they’re just unbelievably dull, nobody gives a fuck when the win anything. Their existence is just met with pure apathy.

Nothing about them is remotely interesting, there’s something dystopian and shit about that shite stadium, the double advertising hoardings, the shit camera angle, the dead atmosphere, their lack of fans and lack of songs they have. 

Their football is robotic and extremely boring to watch, there’s a lack of jeopardy when they play, it’s the antithesis of why people love the game.

Their players also bore the shit out of me, and that wasn’t the case. Previous iterations of their sides had character and personality. The likes of Robinho, Adebayor, Bellamy, Richards, Zabaleta, Kolarov, Kompany, Tevez, D. Silva, Ballotelli, Aguero, Yaya Toure, Nasri and Dzeko all had character and identity compared to the mundane shite they serve up now.

They also have the blandest strip in the league.

1 hour ago, LFC 6 Times said:

There was a good point made in the latest Second Captain's podcast that Guardiola's vision is a game without transitions because transitions are where control is lost and there's vulnerability. Of course, if anyone actually does manage to have a counter attack, they just get Teflon Rodri to pull them down with no yellow card.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Em City said:

There was a good point made in the latest Second Captain's podcast that Guardiola's vision is a game without transitions because transitions are where control is lost and there's vulnerability. Of course, if anyone actually does manage to have a counter attack, they just get Teflon Rodri to pull them down with no yellow card.

I’m surprised no one really pulls them up on the tactical fouling. That sort of thing is where Ferguson has never been equalled - he’d mention it so often that refs would be on the lookout and, despite not wanting to go against their paymasters, in the position of having to do something about it.

52 minutes ago, Em City said:

That is a great point. It's why us at our best is their best opponent, because we thrive the most when we can get quick transitions. It's a great clash of styles. Unfortunately, so few teams have the quality to break effectively against them. It's very difficult.