You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City - the new bitters?

Naz17

2 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

They're flying at the moment so it's not going to be easy but it's not over for me until it's mathematically impossible to catch them. Plenty of games left yet.  Fuck them.

I don't think the players will give up either, unfortunately I have a horrible feeling they'll be 20pts clear by mid-February, if not before. Could be 12pts after the weekend if we lose at Stamford Bridge.

I think the only way to stop them is for us to go on a winning run, starting now & put the shits up them.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Mook said:

I don't think the players will give up either, unfortunately I have a horrible feeling they'll be 20pts clear by mid-February, if not before. Could be 12pts after the weekend if we lose at Stamford Bridge.

I think the only way to stop them is for us to go on a winning run, starting now & put the shits up them.

Absolutely mate. The odds are definitely stacked against us but we've got to hope we can get something going. A(very) long shot but Arsenal might not shit the bed at the weekend and us beating the Chavs would be a great start.

• Upvote 1

On 28/12/2021 at 22:20, Section_31 said:

I'm not arsed if they surpass our trophy haul because it's all meaningless anyway, they'll buy leagues and cups, we know it, they know it, Guardiola knows it, which is why he's turned into such a paranoid and generally odd, miserable bastard. 

Them winning trophies doesn't bother me, what bothers me is a league that's non competitive for potentially years if not decades to come, it's basically the end of the premier League as a competitive sport, with everyone else just competing for 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

That's not a sport I want to watch. The yanks are super capitalists but even they know that's a bad idea, which is why they structure NFL the way they do.

Realistically , it's only a matter of time before we become a rich man's play thing.

Depressing a thought as that may be , it's surely going to happen

• Upvote 1

It's not really about giving up or not, it's just about what the odds are that City would blow it. They've won 3 out of 4 titles and have a pretty decent lead now. So, looking at that it's highly unlikely, no matter what we do. 

If Man United was top right now you could say "well, they'll fuck up, they're not actually good, they have no track record, etc...". City are established in this position.  

12 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's not really about giving up or not, it's just about what the odds are that City would blow it. They've won 3 out of 4 titles and have a pretty decent lead now. So, looking at that it's highly unlikely, no matter what we do. 

If Man United was top right now you could say "well, they'll fuck up, they're not actually good, they have no track record, etc...". City are established in this position.  

Somebody framed it like this the other day and it really put it into perspective how tough ajob we face/how big a mountain it is to climb:

If Man City just match their first half of the season in 2nd half - and lets face it there is little reason to think they won't - they have all their toughest fixtures against the top sides away out the way and have those top sides at home in 2nd half of season - we would need 53 points from our last 19 games to catch them....that is 17 wins and 2 draws....

They've gotten 110 points in the last calender year. Nearest to them was Chelsea with 83. We have 77. That's 11 wins in the league alone in 1 year! 

Imagine if klopp want able to do what he's done over the last 4 years in winning 1 and really challenging in another. 

It wasn't exactly competitive before but its just getting worse. 

The oil cheating cunts 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Scott_M said:

I agree but we’ve shown in the past we can do it. 

We have, but not to quite the same extent with the current team. Failing to adequately refresh the squad cost us last season, and it’s done so again. We turn two of those ridiculous draws into wins and it’s a completely different situation, regardless of City’s cheating.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, niallers said:

They've gotten 110 points in the last calender year. Nearest to them was Chelsea with 83. We have 77. That's 11 wins in the league alone in 1 year! 

Imagine if klopp want able to do what he's done over the last 4 years in winning 1 and really challenging in another. 

It wasn't exactly competitive before but its just getting worse. 

The oil cheating cunts 

Yep, they’re better than ever; not as a result of any great genius, but the fact City’s resources are so ridiculous that their third team would comfortably finish in the top four.

People can talk about our 70s/80s teams and Ferguson’s Utd all they like, but both would have been left fighting for scraps against this sort of operation.

And we have regressed from our 2018/19, 2019/20 peak when we were an absolute machine.

Its natural to do so and it isn't a criticism, sides all have peaks and this teams peak was fucking high...very high, but the big question for me is did we do enough to consolidate and strengthen even more from that peak....?

For me the answer is no and that is why we are just that bit short now.

• Upvote 4

42 minutes ago, an tha said:

And we have regressed from our 2018/19, 2019/20 peak when we were an absolute machine.

Its natural to do so and it isn't a criticism, sides all have peaks and this teams peak was fucking high...very high, but the big question for me is did we do enough to consolidate and strengthen even more from that peak....?

For me the answer is no and that is why we are just that bit short now.

We absolutely didn't do enough. I know there's loads of revisionism on here with all the pro-fsg fellas changing their tune as the reality of another summer let down hit home, but I don't remember 1 poster on here not agreeing we needed at least 3 players this summer (centre back, midfielder and forward) when last season finished. Many were saying more was required - I certainly had a view 3+ like for like going out of the squad except for Gini as I'd counted his cover in the 3. We all know we do the absolute bare minimum every window. 

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, elvis said:

Realistically , it's only a matter of time before we become a rich man's play thing.

I think this will be the final nail in my footballing supporting coffin. It’ll be completely dead to me apart from being something to pay a passing interest in

1 hour ago, Belarus said:

I think this will be the final nail in my footballing supporting coffin. It’ll be completely dead to me apart from being something to pay a passing interest in

Well it's either going to be becoming the rich man's play thing, and the soullessness that comes with that, or others will become the rich man's play thing and we get left behind and go on the slippery slope of knowing we'll never win anything again but patting ourselves on the back for being a "real club" which was born not manufactured etc

1 hour ago, Aventus said:

Well it's either going to be becoming the rich man's play thing, and the soullessness that comes with that, or others will become the rich man's play thing and we get left behind and go on the slippery slope of knowing we'll never win anything again but patting ourselves on the back for being a "real club" which was born not manufactured etc

Don’t think there’s much back slapping going on at the minute. Just a very stark dread of the soul completely being ripped out if it all. It’s not far away as it is and has been hanging by a thread at times over the last decade or so for me.

If that fucking super league hadn't had a rule where the original 12 were guaranteed entry, it would've fucked City and the other state and gangster backed clubs from pouring in their ill gotten wealth. It would've been a gross,but level playing field. 

As it stands,they operate with immunity from any consequence of their spending. 

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, elvis said:

Very much doubt it mate. These mega wealthy individuals like Abramovich and States dont generally want to make someone else instantly mega rich by giving them a shitload of money. They tend to buy cheap and instead, inject the money into the club and build it up.

It's why Abramovich bought chelsea, the Qatarii's bought PSG, Mansour's Abu Dhabi bought city and the Saudi's bought newcastle.

It could be that Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos decides to buy the club but I wouldnt put money on it any time soon or even in the future.

11 hours ago, Aventus said:

We already are a rich man's play thing. Except the play isn't sporting, it is financial. We were a rich man's play thing when Moores was the owner too, he just didn't have much wealth outside of his holding in the club. 

8 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Very much doubt it mate. These mega wealthy individuals like Abramovich and States dont generally want to make someone else instantly mega rich by giving them a shitload of money. They tend to buy cheap and instead, inject the money into the club and build it up.

It's why Abramovich bought chelsea, the Qatarii's bought PSG, Mansour's Abu Dhabi bought city and the Saudi's bought newcastle.

It could be that Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos decides to buy the club but I wouldnt put money on it any time soon or even in the future.

Even Bezos' ex could have a lash at owning a club and treat any failure like the inconvenience of a parking ticket. 

Yuck. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, A_S said:

Even Bezos' ex could have a lash at owning a club and treat any failure like the inconvenience of a parking ticket. 

Yuck. 

Yep. Said it before, if we become a rich man's 'play thing' and just become another chelsea, city, psg, newcastle who bought and buy success, I'll go down and start watching Marine more often.

You'd think people would be quite pleased that in these times of over £140m transfer fees, players earning over £500,000 a week, a club that lives within its means, should be held up as the way others should operate.

But no, some folk just want the club to spend, spend and spend some more.

• Upvote 1