You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City - the new bitters?

Naz17

Pep Guardiola is facing a mounting injury crisis with the fitness of Ilkay Gündogan, Rodri, Aymeric Laporte, John Stones and Oleksandr Zinchenko all in the balance as Manchester City enter a crucial three-match, eight-day period.

On Tuesday, Wycombe Wanderers visit the Etihad Stadium in the Carabao Cup

Very crucial.  Fucking hell.

On 18/09/2021 at 13:33, Halcyon Days said:

This is still my favourite article on them, bang on the money this. Thanks again to whoever posted this originally.

https://medium.com/@NcGeehan/trollerball-188bfad1e63a

The thing which is hard to understand is that if the plan to own Man City is subvert their reputations for being absolutely horrible cunts, behaving like horrible cunts to get their own way all the time strikes me as an odd way of going about it.

Their entire operation seems to consist of "we should be able to do anything we want and if you won't let us we'll just destroy it for everyone". Unfortunately we have governing bodies in FIFA, UEFA and the FA who haven't got the balls to tell them to fuck off. 

If you take us out of the equation in 18/19 and 19/20 you're pretty much looking at a scenario where every year is City winning the league by about 20 points minimum almost every year.

Who the fuck wants to watch that?

Same with PSG in France, spending Barca/Real/Premier League money in a league full of teams with almost zero to spend (in comparison to bottom end of the Premier for instance) and acting all billy big bollocks like you've actually achieved something. 

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Chairman Meow said:

The thing which is hard to understand is that if the plan to own Man City is subvert their reputations for being absolutely horrible cunts, behaving like horrible cunts to get their own way all the time strikes me as an odd way of going about it.

Their entire operation seems to consist of "we should be able to do anything we want and if you won't let us we'll just destroy it for everyone". Unfortunately we have governing bodies in FIFA, UEFA and the FA who haven't got the balls to tell them to fuck off. 

If you take us out of the equation in 18/19 and 19/20 you're pretty much looking at a scenario where every year is City winning the league by about 20 points minimum almost every year.

Same with PSG in France, spending Barca/Real/Premier League money in a league full of teams with almost zero to spend (in comparison to bottom end of the Premier for instance) and acting all billy big bollocks like you've actually achieved something. 

There's 2 different target audiences though aren't there. The domestic one. The international one. 

The domestic one, as we have seen, has brainwashed the city fans and then the rest of the country seem pretty made up with the set up as long as it stops us (or I guess the Salford team too if they were to challenge). The anything but Liverpool stuff when we won the league was strong. 

The international one from what I can tell, couldn't give 2 fucks. In the main it seems all about winning and nobody really cares how or why, as real Madrid proved for years with their cheating. 

The main objective seems.to be "we're not really cunts, how can you not believe us, look how much we love sport". I would say there would have been a much bigger reaction (like ESL) to city dodging ffp with UEFA or the subsequent refusal to cooperate with the PL if anyone really gave a shit. The only people up in arms about them are teams like us who can't compete with them but could otherwise. 

Sportswashing works. 

• Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

There's 2 different target audiences though aren't there. The domestic one. The international one. 

The domestic one, as we have seen, has brainwashed the city fans and then the rest of the country seem pretty made up with the set up as long as it stops us (or I guess the Salford team too if they were to challenge). The anything but Liverpool stuff when we won the league was strong. 

The international one from what I can tell, couldn't give 2 fucks. In the main it seems all about winning and nobody really cares how or why, as real Madrid proved for years with their cheating. 

The main objective seems.to be "we're not really cunts, how can you not believe us, look how much we love sport". I would say there would have been a much bigger reaction (like ESL) to city dodging ffp with UEFA or the subsequent refusal to cooperate with the PL if anyone really gave a shit. The only people up in arms about them are teams like us who can't compete with them but could otherwise. 

Sportswashing works. 

Definitely. I've said all along their schtick seems to be at two levels. There's the overt, altruistic level - where they build a mega football campus in a run down area and offer cheap tickets to locals. A lot of people will sneer and (rightly) point out that they haven't done it for nothing, that there's something in it for them on the PR side, but then a lot of people will (to an extent, rightly) reply "so what - it regenerates a horrible part of the city and gives something to kids etc."

This "City as a force for good" thing is only part of the PR thing though. The main part of it is profile. Manchester City were a yo-yoing, irrelevant punchline until the Abu Dhabi boys came to town - now they're the biggest juggernaut in world football. It's a subliminal message that they're here to stay, that they can't be stopped and that their Midas touch elevates everything to success - so get on board or get trampled.  And it's why they bought City rather than us or United - they don't want to share that story of dominance with anyone else, they want their arrival to be Year Zero so it needs to be a non-entity.

For a while I thought LFC under Klopp were the best thing that could happen to them - a genuine rival to give their 'project' some proper legend and stop their achievements being shrugged at, but to be honest I think they wish we'd fuck off so they can get back to winning everything in sight. They're not interested in the long term effects of that, they just want to be seen as unstoppable.

There's also the whole "£50m of signings brainwashes thousand fans into defending your regime on social media" thing, but that's another part of the depressing tale.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Manny said:

Definitely. I've said all along their schtick seems to be at two levels. There's the overt, altruistic level - where they build a mega football campus in a run down area and offer cheap tickets to locals. A lot of people will sneer and (rightly) point out that they haven't done it for nothing, that there's something in it for them on the PR side, but then a lot of people will (to an extent, rightly) reply "so what - it regenerates a horrible part of the city and gives something to kids etc."

This "City as a force for good" thing is only part of the PR thing though. The main part of it is profile. Manchester City were a yo-yoing, irrelevant punchline until the Abu Dhabi boys came to town - now they're the biggest juggernaut in world football. It's a subliminal message that they're here to stay, that they can't be stopped and that their Midas touch elevates everything to success - so get on board or get trampled.  And it's why they bought City rather than us or United - they don't want to share that story of dominance with anyone else, they want their arrival to be Year Zero so it needs to be a non-entity.

For a while I thought LFC under Klopp were the best thing that could happen to them - a genuine rival to give their 'project' some proper legend and stop their achievements being shrugged at, but to be honest I think they wish we'd fuck off so they can get back to winning everything in sight. They're not interested in the long term effects of that, they just want to be seen as unstoppable.

There's also the whole "£50m of signings brainwashes thousand fans into defending your regime on social media" thing, but that's another part of the depressing tale.

There's nothing to argue with there at all. Which is why sovereign money shouldn't be allowed into the game. The game itself (by that I mean the governing bodies) are defenceless against them. It's not just on the pitch they become unstoppable, they break and fracture the institutions off it. While I don't think think abramovic was good for the game, at least the sporting project appeared to be a motivator and his sportswashing element was just to perhaps legitimise himself. 

We're stuck with all this now and I don't really see how we ever rid the game of it. 

20 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

There's nothing to argue with there at all. Which is why sovereign money shouldn't be allowed into the game. The game itself (by that I mean the governing bodies) are defenceless against them. It's not just on the pitch they become unstoppable, they break and fracture the institutions off it. While I don't think think abramovic was good for the game, at least the sporting project appeared to be a motivator and his sportswashing element was just to perhaps legitimise himself. 

We're stuck with all this now and I don't really see how we ever rid the game of it. 

Have you been asleep? It isn't sovereign money, it's a rich dude spending his personal cash.

23 hours ago, Chairman Meow said:

The way they’re going about it makes any achievement hollow and pointless. A part of Guardiola soul will have died once he’s done there.

24 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I like how young City fans all seem to buy retro shirts from before their time, when City were shit. It reeks of desperation to prove some kind of fan credentials. "Look, look, I remember *checks Wikipedia* erm Neil Quinn"

They needed an EIDOS sponsored one. Eleven Idiots Dream of Success or Embarrassed in derby on Sky

• Upvote 3