You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City - the new bitters?

Naz17

1 hour ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

It's an interesting change of approach from City. You've got two big financially doping sides with them and PSG, but they followed different strategies. PSG were willing to break records, but City supposedly were operating under a structure where they were never supposed to be spending astronomical individual fees. 

In a way it worked, as shown by the leagues of spectacularly dense fans who draw false equivalences between us signing Van Dijk for £75m and City spunking cash like Brewster's Millions. It's easier to look past half a dozen players bought at £50-60m when you don't hold the record transfer. A handy whataboutery get out clause.

You have to wonder why the sudden volte-face then. Is it just backing Pep to win the CL, or does the ongoing investigations into them lurk in the background? Spend big now before a ban? Or perhaps, given all but the most myopic have woken up to their sportswashing, the PR exercise is a futile facade now. The lawyers are working overtime, the leaked stories aren't stopping, and your own fans are too thick to realise booing the CL anthem amplifies it all; may as well let the mask slip. Let Palpatine become the Emperor.

I think Pep just saw Grealish's calves and got a stiffy.

17 minutes ago, No2 said:

Miguel Delaney said on a podcast earlier in the summer and that they were really sensitive to perception, always cautious not to be seen as having all the worlds most expensive players and they were ultra self conscious about media and social media reporting of their success compared to LFC and Utd. After their success was ignored by all concerned again this summer a decision was made to go and get players the media couldn't ignore, fuck the cost and the pretending it's not a plastic club built on oil money.

Yeah, and going for two salt of the earth English lads won't hurt. Still seems a bit of an odd change of tack, following PSG's route. Becoming the status quo winner of your league through insane spending only lessens your achievements, as nobody lauds anything but European success, and the big story is when you don't win the league, like PSG last season.

It's funny seeing loads of Evertonians whingeing all of a sudden about City spending loads of cash. Because it means that the top six is a closed shop and they aren't allowed to spend because of FFP. Now they are livid because they are being excluded even though they've got a billionaire owner.

Obviously didn't matter when City won the league by one point beating us to the title in 2019 or winning tge league again this season just gone. No, they were the finest football team ever assembled in English football. 

Also never bothered them when they were spending half a billion on shit players whilst saying we were skint and can only afford a loft conversion instead of a new stadium like them. 

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

God what a prick.

20210806_154046.jpg

I get more pissed off with all the media gobshites turning a blind eye as to how the mancs stack the odds in their favour, instead dressing it up like he's the second coming. I'd like to think that past journalists would have consistently pointed this out but maybe that's just me.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

I get more pissed off with all the media gobshites turning a blind eye as to how the mancs stack the odds in their favour, instead dressing it up like he's the second coming. I'd like to think that past journalists would have consistently pointed this out but maybe that's just me.

There’s three journalists on Twitter that have got City’s number and aren’t afraid to call them out, Miguel Delaney, Tariq Panja and Nick Harris. I love the way City fans follow the three of them around defending their owners, it’s unbelievable the hoops they jump through on behalf of the sheikh and his minions. Most of it is just that these journalists want to protect the Mancs/Liverpool/Arsenal established order even though at least one of these journalists is a Southampton season ticket holder. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Damn, when you see it laid out like that, it really would be an epic failure not to win multiple European trophies with that squad 

I think you can argue that Guardiola has massively underperformed relative to resources as it is. Three league titles & some heavily diminished domestic cups is a poor return for a billion spent on an already outstanding squad over five seasons.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

I think you can argue that Guardiola has massively underperformed relative to resources as it is. Three league titles & some heavily diminished domestic cups is a poor return for a billion spent on an already outstanding squad over five seasons.

Never rated him. 

15 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

He was brought in to win the Champions League because Mancini and Pellegrini couldn’t/didn’t.

Given the resources all three have had, it’s been an epic fail so far, but it’ll happen one day and all the previous failure will be conveniently forgotten about.

1 hour ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Yeah, they're approaching PSG level, where it's almost assumed they'll win the domestic trophies. Anyone else doing so is a deviation from the growing norm. Yet, any season without a European Cup is still a failure considering the stupendous outlay.