You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City - the new bitters?

Naz17

7 hours ago, Anubis said:

E7-kqkIXsAELqtd?format=jpg&name=small

To be fair, there probably isn't one waiting in their youth team. He sold Sane to make space for Foden, didn't he?

I'm not particularly bothered by what the prick said 12 years ago, and I'm sure there are plenty of what would now be seen as hypocritical quotes from Klopp from his time at Dortmund.

EDIT - @SlugTrail beat me to it

In footballing terms ,I didnt think kane was a Guardiola type of player, as spurs built there team around them.

I thought they would have got haarland. 

Saying that, they do create loads of chances ,so he will unboutably get them goals.

Some spurs fans on talk sport last night were they saying they would bite citys hand off.

As for spending money we were as guilty as anyone once the premier league began,chelsea and now city were the obvious outcome.

I wonder how many liverpool fans around the world would be complaining if we were in their shoes?

7 minutes ago, SlugTrail said:

It was 12 years ago, football has changed since then, let's not get on our high horse about it. When UTD signed pogba Klopp said he would never want to spend mega money on a footballer, 18 months later he brought Van Dijk for £75m. As he said, he meant it at the time but things change.

Fair point but, I remember a League cup game about 4 years ago, massive first leg lead and from what I can remember kids never got a look in. Surely it would be in your DNA somewhere?

12 minutes ago, m0e said:

To be fair, there probably isn't one waiting in their youth team. He sold Sane to make space for Foden, didn't he?

I'm not particularly bothered by what the prick said 12 years ago, and I'm sure there are plenty of what would now be seen as hypocritical quotes from Klopp from his time at Dortmund.

EDIT - @SlugTrail beat me to it

I think the Delap kid actually is very highly thought of.

36 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

Fair point but, I remember a League cup game about 4 years ago, massive first leg lead and from what I can remember kids never got a look in. Surely it would be in your DNA somewhere?

9 nil first leg lead but you can never be sure. Look at the subs, 2 first teamers out of the 3.

SmartSelect_20210805-135229_Chrome.jpg

Ibrahimovic failed under Guardiola. Hopefully Kane will go the same way. 

I can't think of a Number 10 like Grealish who flopped.

They can sign who they want. We need to focus on ourselves. If we get 90+ points again, they'll have too be on top form to finish ahead of us.

At what point as a fan of another team who is in direct competition to them do you think fuck it and walk away from football at the highest level?  Where do you say, fuck it. They've spent £300 on two players hoe can my team compete?  

May as well just play 38 friendlies. 

17 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

They are surely more likely to hit 90 plus points than we are. We've both shown we are capable but their squad and then you throw in Grealish and Kane who are brilliant players, they can keep two elevens fresh with no drop off quality. Cheating oil state twats.

Yeah, they probably are more likely to get 90+ points than us, but apart from the 2 games we have against them, there isn’t anything we can do to influence that. 

1 hour ago, m0e said:

I think he is.

Are you suggesting they don't need to buy a striker because of him, though?

No, if that was here I wouldn't be happy with that gamble on going from one of the best ever premier League era strikers to an untested kid, so unfair to put it on them. 

Not sure that extends to dropping £260m on the attack though.

39 minutes ago, Pete said:

At what point as a fan of another team who is in direct competition to them do you think fuck it and walk away from football at the highest level?  Where do you say, fuck it. They've spent £300 on two players hoe can my team compete?  

May as well just play 38 friendlies. 

Those people would have already walked when a Russian gangster bought Chelsea two excellent XIs.

Nome of this is new in any way.

4 hours ago, m0e said:

I think he is.

Are you suggesting they don't need to buy a striker because of him, though?

He looks decent but the goals I've seen him score on YT are youth sides playing a high line v City, which is not going to happen in the PL. Put it this way, I'm more excited by Leyton Stewart. 

1.31 Billion spent in 13 years while taking over the richest and best squads in every job he's been in. 

He's obviously a great coach but he's made sure everything is stacked in his favour at every club he's been in. 

City have looked at the 2 most popular players in England and thought to themselves: that's going to get us some love in the press.

Well worth the quarter of a billion, I say.

"Cos I don't care too

Much for money..."

It's an interesting change of approach from City. You've got two big financially doping sides with them and PSG, but they followed different strategies. PSG were willing to break records, but City supposedly were operating under a structure where they were never supposed to be spending astronomical individual fees. 

In a way it worked, as shown by the leagues of spectacularly dense fans who draw false equivalences between us signing Van Dijk for £75m and City spunking cash like Brewster's Millions. It's easier to look past half a dozen players bought at £50-60m when you don't hold the record transfer. A handy whataboutery get out clause.

You have to wonder why the sudden volte-face then. Is it just backing Pep to win the CL, or does the ongoing investigations into them lurk in the background? Spend big now before a ban? Or perhaps, given all but the most myopic have woken up to their sportswashing, the PR exercise is a futile facade now. The lawyers are working overtime, the leaked stories aren't stopping, and your own fans are too thick to realise booing the CL anthem amplifies it all; may as well let the mask slip. Let Palpatine become the Emperor.

1 hour ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

It's an interesting change of approach from City. You've got two big financially doping sides with them and PSG, but they followed different strategies. PSG were willing to break records, but City supposedly were operating under a structure where they were never supposed to be spending astronomical individual fees. 

In a way it worked, as shown by the leagues of spectacularly dense fans who draw false equivalences between us signing Van Dijk for £75m and City spunking cash like Brewster's Millions. It's easier to look past half a dozen players bought at £50-60m when you don't hold the record transfer. A handy whataboutery get out clause.

You have to wonder why the sudden volte-face then. Is it just backing Pep to win the CL, or does the ongoing investigations into them lurk in the background? Spend big now before a ban? Or perhaps, given all but the most myopic have woken up to their sportswashing, the PR exercise is a futile facade now. The lawyers are working overtime, the leaked stories aren't stopping, and your own fans are too thick to realise booing the CL anthem amplifies it all; may as well let the mask slip. Let Palpatine become the Emperor.

Miguel Delaney said on a podcast earlier in the summer and that they were really sensitive to perception, always cautious not to be seen as having all the worlds most expensive players and they were ultra self conscious about media and social media reporting of their success compared to LFC and Utd. After their success was ignored by all concerned again this summer a decision was made to go and get players the media couldn't ignore, fuck the cost and the pretending it's not a plastic club built on oil money.