You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City - the new bitters?

Naz17

19 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Grealish works his nuts off for Villa. Wheres this not a team player come from. 

I wasn't referring to work rate, more the fact he's an individual, hogs the ball, always looking for fouls. Where as Pep has his billion pound team built on a system of moving the ball repetitively. I'm terms of the current set up Bernardo Silva is  better suited. 

1 hour ago, No2 said:

I wasn't referring to work rate, more the fact he's an individual, hogs the ball, always looking for fouls. Where as Pep has his billion pound team built on a system of moving the ball repetitively. I'm terms of the current set up Bernardo Silva is  better suited. 

He's a good player and if he goes there he'll get better, I mean whatever we think of Guardiola he's a top coach and like Klopp he improves players. 

Let's face it we all wanted Sterling to fall flat on his face but he never did

The one player I don't want them to get is Kane, then again I don't want Chelsea or Utd to get him either

3 hours ago, Stickman said:

I mean whatever we think of Guardiola he's a top coach and like Klopp he improves players. 

Let's face it we all wanted Sterling to fall flat on his face but he never did

He does? Like when he gave up on Stones so he could then give up on Laporte so he could then give up on Otamendi? Three of his last 4 fullbacks are no better than they were when he got them. Gabriel Jesus is a shadow of the player he was three years ago. Sane went downhill after 2018 - he was great that season.

Buying a bunch of the best players in the world and then having some of them perform well is not improving them.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

He does? Like when he gave up on Stones so he could then give up on Laporte so he could then give up on Otamendi? Three of his last 4 fullbacks are no better than they were when he got them. Gabriel Jesus is a shadow of the player he was three years ago. Sane went downhill after 2018 - he was great that season.

Buying a bunch of the best players in the world and then having some of them perform well is not improving them.

Sane scored 10 premier league goals in 31 appearances in 2019 including the winner against us after that he was injured.

Rivalries aside any team that can spend close to £300M on two players are a disgrace.  You could fund the NHS on that kind of money.  Absolutely disgusting given the current global situation.  

• Upvote 1

City will probably sign Kane for approx £150m and he will be on near enough to £300k pw. Over a 5 year contract that's £225m. That is £45m a year on one player with no sell-on value. How are other clubs expected to compete with that?

Liverpool are one of the richest clubs in the world and can only dream of funds close to that. 

• Upvote 1

On 02/08/2021 at 14:16, stringvest said:

The point I was making is it wouldn't be a tweak, it would be a major change - and in all probability a deal breaker for the likes of us.  Clubs with the most money are almost always going to win, no matter what the competition.

UEFA's own proposals for the Champions League were pretty similar in that certain teams would always be in the competition even if they missed qualification via their national leagues.

Saying it's a major change or a tweak is really just summantics when people want action.

Personally, I dont get the indignation about the ESL considering UEFA's proposal and hardly a word of opposition raised against it.

The way I see it, UEFA and the FA \ PL will never introduce an effective FFP. The only way to be able to achieve that is starting from scratch as the ESL proposed ie the clubs policing it themselves. This is the line in the sand regarding your income, expenditure, player wages and transfer fees. You either sign up to it if you want to come in or you stay outside. If you break our rules, we'll kick you out .

All the noise about city might not buy Kane if they buy Grealish. Perhaps. But next summer, they'll just spend another £100m+ on Haaland or some other flavour of the season.

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

UEFA's own proposals for the Champions League were pretty similar in that certain teams would always be in the competition even if they missed qualification via their national leagues.

Saying it's a major change or a tweak is really just summantics when people want action.

Personally, I dont get the indignation about the ESL considering UEFA's proposal and hardly a word of opposition raised against it.

The way I see it, UEFA and the FA \ PL will never introduce an effective FFP. The only way to be able to achieve that is starting from scratch as the ESL proposed ie the clubs policing it themselves. This is the line in the sand regarding your income, expenditure, player wages and transfer fees. You either sign up to it if you want to come in or you stay outside. If you break our rules, we'll kick you out .

All the noise about city might not buy Kane if they buy Grealish. Perhaps. But next summer, they'll just spend another £100m+ on Haaland or some other flavour of the season.

it would never work.  It's like trying to get the newspapers to self-police.  The clubs would take the piss more than they do now.  

The PL have an ongoing investigation into them for illegal practices. This is clearly them giving 2 fingers to that. Wait until they announce a new agreement for a gazillion pounds a year with a boutique watch manufacturer from Abu Dhabi. 

42 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

And the gullible will still praise the genius of this fraud.

Manchester City's £100m purchase of Jack Grealish means Pep Guardiola is fast closing in on an astonishing £1billion spent since he took over as manager in 2016

E7-kqkIXsAELqtd?format=jpg&name=small

14 hours ago, Razoray said:

City will probably sign Kane for approx £150m and he will be on near enough to £300k pw. Over a 5 year contract that's £225m. That is £45m a year on one player with no sell-on value. How are other clubs expected to compete with that?

Liverpool are one of the richest clubs in the world and can only dream of funds close to that. 

Our most expensive player ever, van Dijk, if you count wages and fee, comes to £25m/season.

I think Alisson is second at about £20m/season, no one else costs us more than about £15m/season, once you work out the pay rises that were issued when there was less of the fees to amortise. 

By contrast, City have probably 10 players who cost them more than £20m/season. Maybe 15 if you count dodgy "sponsorship deals" which aren't included in wages for FFP accounting purposes.

2 hours ago, DalyanPete said:

And the gullible will still praise the genius of this fraud.

Manchester City's £100m purchase of Jack Grealish means Pep Guardiola is fast closing in on an astonishing £1billion spent since he took over as manager in 2016

How does he do it?

10 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

What a lying cunt, don't know how he keeps a straight face.

It was 12 years ago, football has changed since then, let's not get on our high horse about it. When UTD signed pogba Klopp said he would never want to spend mega money on a footballer, 18 months later he brought Van Dijk for £75m. As he said, he meant it at the time but things change.

• Upvote 2