You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City - the new bitters?

Naz17

10 hours ago, JoeBuck01 said:

It’s a funny one with City - in many ways I quite like them.  The massive underdog  against “them” and definitely the good mancs who we have a lot in common - see the atmosphere of the 2016  Final versus the venom of 2003. 

of course we’ve had our mighty kick offs with them - the carnage after the 88 quarter final, all the windscreens cowardly being put through during the 84 reply, and of course when they cheekily came on The Kop a week before Paris ( and got away with it because 28000 were there that night).

still, Pep is sound and if one Club deserved the £1 billion Lottery ticket, it is them. 

Everton weren't in either of those finals. I think you have false memory syndrome.

8 minutes ago, Special K said:

The BBC's sport headlines are just full of sycophantic bullshit. It's like Guardiola has performed some sort of a miracle.

It's every media source at this stage. Typical fare:

UNLIMITED FUNDS IRRELEVANT - PEP IS A GENIUS AND THIS IS FOOTBALL'S GOLDEN AGE 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

It's every media source at this stage. Typical fare:

UNLIMITED FUNDS IRRELEVANT - PEP IS A GENIUS AND THIS IS FOOTBALL'S GOLDEN AGE 

Yeah, martin 'bluto' smauel 'this isnt germany' where Bayern have just won their 9th (is it?) consecutive title. city have won 3 of the last 4 Premier Leagues and if it wasnt for us last season, would be half way to emulating Bayern.

Hopefully, we can go again next season but as we need a rebuild, my head says it will be even tougher even if my heart says hell yeah. city will be the team to beat. again.

City and the sycophancy they probably pay for has done wonders for removing the last vestiges of passion I had for the game. Yeah, 2018-20 was a wonderful, unexpected interlude that questioned their dominance, but the ineffectual FFP, court of arbitration shenanigans followed by this season have made it clear ‘normal’ service is resumed and is here to stay.

If nothing changes fundamentally at UEFA and the Premier League, a decade from now they’ll be second only to Real Madrid in terms of European Cups and will overtake their red neighbours for league titles within 20 years and, you know what? I’m fine with it.

It’s going to be highly amusing watching the game decline and a super league touted as the only thing that can possibly save it by the same pundits who reviled that concept while not just turning a blind eye to, but actively cheerleading for a corrupt, unsustainable and broken status-quo.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Making the big assumption that we get back to a high level next season, do people think it's a good thing for us that Chelsea are also in the mix rather than it being a two-horse race?

The way I see football, you can have a very good team and a shite \ no so good manager and you maybe win the domestic cups if you concentrate on them. You might even win the Europa or Champions League. But the latter of those two will be harder as UEFA's 'more games' means tactical nounse plays a greater part in winning the prize.

Similarly, very good teams with so so managers dont win the Premier League. Roll it all up and this is why, in my opinion, we won cups between 1990 and 2019 but not league titles.

Despite him being called a fraud on here by some, Tutchel is anything but. He's followed in Jurgen's steps to an extent. He has a very good team that lampard was out of his managerial depth with.

While the football authorities loosen the FFP regulation due to covid, teams like city and chelsea backed by oil nations and oligarchs will gain an advantage. This is the antithesis of what should be happening.

chelsea will likely be challengers next season. Sooner or later, united's plethoral of penalties which has handed them routes back into games they were either losing or drawing, will stop. The gimp is tactically inept like lampard. Yes, he will no doubt be able to frustrate teams like ourselves, city and chelsea with draws from time to time but that doesnt make him a tactical genius or mean he can alter his tactics when the penalty appeals arent answered.

Jurgen's task is going to be in either re invigorating the team to 'go again' or rebuilding it in selected areas, bringing in not only players hungry for success but also single minded winners.

I dont think it makes much difference if you have a two or three way fight for the title. it makes it more nervey to be part of but at the end of the day, you've still got to be top of the pile to win it.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Making the big assumption that we get back to a high level next season, do people think it's a good thing for us that Chelsea are also in the mix rather than it being a two-horse race?

Good thing, I reckon. Guardiola's style generally is to bludgeon his way to a massive lead, then watch the others fall away as the scoreboard pressure mounts so that the closing stages of the title race are more of a procession. The only exception really was 2018/19 but we saw the following season the effect that had on him and his team. This season has been more of a normal Guardiola title - except they started their charge a bit later (but got away with it as his main challenger has been Ole's united, which says it all).

If he's under pressure from Jurgen and Tuchel from the off next year I think they'll struggle to hit their usual rhythm - not saying they won't win it, but it's a good thing IMO.

3 hours ago, SlugTrail said:

I dont know how this Genius does it, he takes the second best team in the league and adds a sprinkle of magic (and another 4 first team players) and manages to win the league. Its a blueprint that all clubs should follow.

Screenshot_20210512-085629_Chrome.jpg

I nearly got caught knocking one out at 6.30 this morning as I read Micah Richards telling BBC just how good this fella is.

In a normal season the cunt is running scared of us.

Fuckin made up when he got rinsed in Gomorrah.

10 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Those videos from the Emptyhad last night were absolutely pathetic. 

If I was a player, I’d look at those videos and think “what’s the fucking point?”.

The two hundred grand a week they’re all on days the don’t give a shit how many fans turn up.

What a bumbder.

I bet he was gutted there was nowhere open to celebrate by listening to some difficult jazz, sipping as small glass of  Château Lafite 178 red wine and eating caviar & hard-cooked egg with the yolks and whites chopped separately.

Klopp would have been drinking Erdinger from the players boots and playing air guitar to Master Of Puppets. 

A6E9FD63-A42C-4691-BF6E-6A4257DF9427.jpeg

• Upvote 1