You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City - the new bitters?

Naz17

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

Just catching up on this weekends 606's.
Why do City fans want to sack Pep?  Bunch of whining cunts

since he's been at the club, how many players has he bought that have improved the team? they had 2 very good season, 2 mediocre and this one appears to be drifting in the mediocre direction. and they've not made a dent in europe. considering how much he gets to spend, how much he gets paid, i think it is pretty fair to question his ability to do the job. who they would replace him with is anyones guess, but i don't think he's been tremendous for them, in fact i would say certainly below expectations when you consider the european record. 

14 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

since he's been at the club, how many players has he bought that have improved the team? they had 2 very good season, 2 mediocre and this one appears to be drifting in the mediocre direction. and they've not made a dent in europe. considering how much he gets to spend, how much he gets paid, i think it is pretty fair to question his ability to do the job. who they would replace him with is anyones guess, but i don't think he's been tremendous for them, in fact i would say certainly below expectations when you consider the european record. 

His transfer record is a bit concerning for City fans to be honest. There's way too many 'meh' players on it. Mahrez, Gabriel Jesus, Gundogan, Rodri, Cancelo; all players who've come in and, whilst they're useful enough players who've not exactly tanked, they cost shitloads and haven't really nailed down places in the first team or looked much better than they did when they first arrived.

Other than Silva, Ederson and Laporte (and, to be fair to him, Kyle Walker) - who are easily balanced out by flops like Stones, Mendy, Bravo, Danilo and Nolito - he seems genuinely incapable of extracting value from the transfer market.

Compare with Jurgen: I'd put Keita and Oxlade-Chamberlain in that Mahrez/Jesus category, but every other major signing we've made under Klopp has generally been a success and improved us. I know transfers are more complex now than one man's judgement, but there's something that isn't working at City.

• Upvote 2

They want him gone because, as a load of Liverpool fans pointed out a while ago, he’s not that good of a manager.  He’s been outperformed by a manager with basically no budget who has to build players up to sell on to get players he wants and has had to deal with a paper thin budget.

They convinced themselves Klopp was a fraud, who couldn’t train a defence, spent as much money on players as they did, was not as good tactically and relied on motivation, bottled finals, only won the German league because Bayern played shit in those years and wasn’t as good a manager because his trophy haul was much smaller.  Deep down they knew it was all bollocks.  Guardiola’s said Pantomime arm flailing and mad faces at substitutes coming on and jumping around in the changing room gave them enough information to show who the real fraud was.  They can’t stand it now.

I’ve thought before the reason that City can’t fill the stadium is because the fans are bored.  They turned cheat mode on and won the league.  There’s no sense of achievement.  When they win it just feels inevitable and there’s no excitement to it.  The fact that they’ve lost so many games must just baffle them fans.  It’s only going to get worse when he finally leaves.  The age of the “high profile guaranteed success manager” is over.  The stadium is going look even worse when they hire a lesser name and continue on this spiral.

It’s going to be like the Man United fall from grace on fast forward.  After decades of just winning everything United fans are now wandering around bewildered thinking that their club actually stood for something other than Alex Ferguson.  Their attendances are as bad as city’s and the fan base even more entitled and impatient.

1 hour ago, Manny said:

His transfer record is a bit concerning for City fans to be honest. There's way too many 'meh' players on it. Mahrez, Gabriel Jesus, Gundogan, Rodri, Cancelo; all players who've come in and, whilst they're useful enough players who've not exactly tanked, they cost shitloads and haven't really nailed down places in the first team or looked much better than they did when they first arrived.

Other than Silva, Ederson and Laporte (and, to be fair to him, Kyle Walker) - who are easily balanced out by flops like Stones, Mendy, Bravo, Danilo and Nolito - he seems genuinely incapable of extracting value from the transfer market.

Compare with Jurgen: I'd put Keita and Oxlade-Chamberlain in that Mahrez/Jesus category, but every other major signing we've made under Klopp has generally been a success and improved us. I know transfers are more complex now than one man's judgement, but there's something that isn't working at City.

Good post that. And I agree signing players isn't one man's job anymore. But you've only got to look at the difference between our same recruitment team and Rodgers against how it's worked with klopp to see how massive an influence the manager is. And obviously recruitment doesn't just end the day you sign a player, it should be very rare you're buying a player for 100% what you've seen previously in his career and not expect to get more (thiago would maybe be an example). The ability to bring in a bed down players and then get them to become the best possible version of themselves is part of that recruitment journey. Klopp does that in spades. I don't think guardiola does that too much at all. So for instance using one of your examples, Mahrez isn't a terrible player, he's alright. But he's the player at city who was drifting towards the end of his time at Leicester - he has good days but too many are mediocre. They haven't even got him to perform back at the level he did for long periods at Leicester. Then compare that to what klopp has done with mane and Salah. It's completely chalk and cheese. 

1 hour ago, Manny said:

The ironic thing is, they have too much depth. There are some missteps in there, but on the whole, the issue is they have so many players that many of them just never get a consistent run of games. They rotate almost too much.

Cheque manager or not, given what they have been through to get to where they are now & what they've achieved you'd have thought they'd have some respect for him.

They come across as a privileged bunch of cunts. I swear some of them would be happier back in league two. 

3 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Thing is with Guardiola, they signed Soriano and Begiristain before him with the intention of eventually bringing him in. The whole structure is built for him. 

Yup. It's why they desperately want him to sign a new deal despite the fact the team looks to be in decline and he's someone who has only done great things in periods of 3, 4 years.

It'd be funny if he left after this season because I bet the club would be gutted, yet their supporters would probably be happy with it at this point.

It's the 'more money than sense' syndrome. They dont stop to think who is better to bring in. We've grown tired of this one, we're bored, let's chuck it away and use the money to bring someone else in.

This is the thing with martin samuel's 'let them spend cash' mantra. It emboldens fans to think they know better and when the old regime has served it's purpose, bin it off and spend more cash to replace it.

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yup. It's why they desperately want him to sign a new deal despite the fact the team looks to be in decline and he's someone who has only done great things in periods of 3, 4 years.

It'd be funny if he left after this season because I bet the club would be gutted, yet their supporters would probably be happy with it at this point.

I hope he signs a new deal and wastes few more billions, some on bringing Messi to that club so that we can see him in PL. 

33 minutes ago, Bad Red Bull said:

I hope he signs a new deal and wastes few more billions, some on bringing Messi to that club so that we can see him in PL. 

Thing is, he could waste another 4 or 5 billion and there'll still be plenty of money for the next manager and the next and the next after that.

They are getting found out without Silva and with Aguero getting older and missing half the games. They also never replaced Kompany. Of-course you can never write them off and I think it will still be us and them ahead of the rest come May but without De-Bruyne they aren't that great. Sterling is a little cunt. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Thing is, he could waste another 4 or 5 billion and there'll still be plenty of money for the next manager and the next and the next after that.

I'm not so sure of that. I think the ownership have reached the point they set out to. While they will want to win it will be no more important than any other business they own. They have investor's from China and America that own 30% of the club. You don't pump in £100m of your own money unless the other owners are putting in the equivalent and let's be honest, unless you own oil fields you don't endlessly throw money at football players. They are established as a top 4 club, 9 times out of 10 they will finish in the top 4 but the days of buying 4 strikers and hoping one clicks are gone.

4 minutes ago, No2 said:

I'm not so sure of that. I think the ownership have reached the point they set out to. While they will want to win it will be no more important than any other business they own. They have investor's from China and America that own 30% of the club. You don't pump in £100m of your own money unless the other owners are putting in the equivalent and let's be honest, unless you own oil fields you don't endlessly throw money at football players. They are established as a top 4 club, 9 times out of 10 they will finish in the top 4 but the days of buying 4 strikers and hoping one clicks are gone.

Moneyball baby.

6 hours ago, Pete said:

Cheque manager or not, given what they have been through to get to where they are now & what they've achieved you'd have thought they'd have some respect for him.

They come across as a privileged bunch of cunts. I swear some of them would be happier back in league two. 

A lot of the older generation would probably prefer to be League 2. My dad is a City fan and he doesn't like what's happened since the Sheik came in. He also hated Guardiola from day one.

I was at the Etihad a good few times for away games. There's a pub about a mile or two up the road from the stadium. Does be quiet enough and mostly old lads in it. Good to talk footy with them, they don't like the new stadium and a good few of them haven't even been in it. They were saying it's all not the same and feels like a different club.

We've had a bit if craic with a few of them on a few different occasions. The jist of the conversations with most of them is always the same. I think they're like Del Boy, they finally became millionaires, but really want to go back to wheeling and dealing.

• Upvote 1