You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City - the new bitters?

Naz17

4 hours ago, skaro said:

That's fair enough.

He's built nothing, anywhere. 

He's won things, yes.

But he's never turned things around.  

Never improved things.

That's been obvious I think for quite some years now... and that's the "finally" I'm disputing.

If it's about the media only just acknowledging it, sure fair enough, but the media is pretty much full of makey-uppy, bandwagon numpties, who are very late to the party on this one.

At least Mourinho did Porto.

I think that’s a bit unfair, John. 

Barca weren’t at their best when he took over and he had to shift some of the bigger ego’s in the dressing room. 

What is ignored though, although when he took over at Barca from Rijkaard they weren’t at their best, they were still very good with some excellent players - Valdes, Marquez, Puyol, Xavi, Eto’o, Henry, Abidal, Toure, Iniesta and Messi coming through the ranks etc.

What he did was take Rijkaards style and improve on it.

Rijkaard won Barca their 2nd European Cup (2006 - 2 season before Guardiola took over) but everyone now forgets about it because of what came after. Listening to some they think Guardiola had done a Leicester with them.

I will confess though, Guardiola’s Barca club side is the best football side I’ve ever seen. 

I loved watching them. We’re running them close now but we’ll need a couple more titles and European Cups to be comparable. 

On City, his 2 title winning sides were miles better than the ones Mancini & Pelligrini had. 

I still think my points made earlier in the thread have some truth in them - his best players are the ones he inherited, although not disastrous in the transfer market he has signed a lot of expensive flops and, most importantly, I don’t think he’s got the stomach for the fight when he’s challenged. 

• Upvote 1

What Guardiola did at Barcelona should be inarguable. It was an incredible team and he had a lot to do with how good they became. He changed a lot there and tactically he had loads of amazing ideas. For example, what he did with Busquets, Messi at false 9 with two forwards around him and then also Mascherano at centre back, which at the time people didn't understand because Mascherano is like 5 foot 8.

Since then though, you have to say he's done the bare minimum, both at Bayern and City. Incredible consistency and dominance in the league for a couple seasons and some domestic cups, but with the means he's had that is nothing to write home about.

51 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Barca weren’t at their best when he took over and he had to shift some of the bigger ego’s in the dressing room. 

What is ignored though, although when he took over at Barca from Rijkaard they weren’t at their best, they were still very good with some excellent players - Valdes, Marquez, Puyol, Xavi, Eto’o, Henry, Abidal, Toure, Iniesta and Messi coming through the ranks etc.

Rijkaard won Barca their 2nd European Cup (2006 - 2 season before Guardiola took over) but everyone now forgets about it because of what came after. Listening to some they think Guardiola had done a Leicester with them.

I will confess though, Guardiola’s Barca club side is the best football side I’ve ever seen. 

I loved watching them. We’re running them close now but we’ll need a couple more titles and European Cups to be comparable. 

On City, his 2 title winning sides were miles better than the ones Mancini & Pelligrini had. 

I still think my points made earlier in the thread have some truth in them - his best players are the ones he inherited, although not disastrous in the transfer market he has signed a lot of expensive flops and, most importantly, I don’t think he’s got the stomach for the fight when he’s challenged. 

Yeah, his Barca side were the best I've seen, even if they bored the arse off me. Each season they were overwhelming favourites for every trophy, and it took a massive upset for them not to win.

Still preferred watching them in the Rijkaard era with Ronaldinho, though.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Scott_M said:

I will confess though, Gradual’s Barca club side is the best football side I’ve ever seen. 

I was admittedly being very blunt and harsh, Scott - however, I don't think a lot of the things you are saying here are at terribly at odds with my points.  

OK, I'll concede he elevated Barcelona, but as you say, on the back of their being European Champions only two years previously and his inheriting that list of players.

He's never worked with an OK, fringe or average team and taken them through the roof.  Barcelona, Bayern, Man City were all very good League-winning clubs under recent managers before he arrived.

Of course, maybe I'm completely blinded by Klopp's ridiculously good achievements, starting from much lower bases at Dortmund and Liverpool.  

Maybe I belong on Blue Moon!

The choices Klopp has made in terms of clubs suits him. He's had time and trust to rebuild clubs and make them very strong over a long-ish period of time. Same for Guardiola. He's gone to clubs with great squads and made them uber dominant in their respective leagues. Conscious choices by both managers and different choices.

Managers like Guardiola, Ancelotti, Mourinho have all went to the biggest clubs and the latter two went smaller when the success went away. Maybe that fate will await Pep one day but he's got no reason to go to a small club just to prove something. Klopp is just a different kind of manager who has looked for different situations than other top managers. 

6 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

One of these things is not like the others.

Spot on. 

Ancelotti is a legit manager, improves players at every club he's been with and isn't a prick either. 

Fair play to Everton. They got the best manager they possibly could, no doubt about that. 

Regarding klopp besides taking now 3 teams to relative glory, haven't his previous two teams also had sustained success since he's left, mainly from the practices and ethos he has left behind? 

He doesn't just come in and give a few fairies a hug and make them play better, he tends to change clubs so much that they can continue their success long after he's gone. 

If that's not the sign of a true great, then I don't know what is. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

5 hours ago, chrisbonnie said:

Spot on. 

Ancelotti is a legit manager, improves players at every club he's been with and isn't a prick either. 

Fair play to Everton. They got the best manager they possibly could, no doubt about that. 

Regarding klopp besides taking now 3 teams to relative glory, haven't his previous two teams also had sustained success since he's left, mainly from the practices and ethos he has left behind? 

He doesn't just come in and give a few fairies a hug and make them play better, he tends to change clubs so much that they can continue their success long after he's gone. 

If that's not the sign of a true great, then I don't know what is. 

Indeed, I look at Jota for example... and the comments Klopp made about him after the Arsenal game.

One for the future, not just a bench warmer for the Fab 3 now.

Klopp doesn't want to leave us in the shit when he leaves.

I probably haven't truly loved an individual at Liverpool since the 80s.  Since Barnes probably (and Kenny always, of course).

But this bloke Klopp is definitely starting to do it for me.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, skaro said:

Indeed, I look at Jota for example... and the comments Klopp made about him after the Arsenal game.

One for the future, not just a bench warmer for the Fab 3 now.

Klopp doesn't want to leave us in the shit when he leaves.

I probably haven't truly loved an individual at Liverpool since the 80s.  Since Barnes probably (and Kenny always, of course).

But this bloke Klopp is definitely starting to do it for me.

Just starting ! Et ben ...,

13 minutes ago, Chocoholic said:

This Brewster deal has really set the batshit crazy loons on BlueMoon off this time

image.png

image.png

image.png

Haha, fucking mental. There again, these players we're shifting arent sat on £100,000 or more a week to just sit on the bench or be squad members. City have that Garcia lad on £125,000 a week and before this season, I think he'd player 9 times including sub appearances for them.