You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City - the new bitters?

Naz17

Just had a look at Pep's career and he doesn't half have a blind spot with defenders. He's spent £1.3b on players in his management career - but almost half of it (£564m) has been spent on defenders, £433m since he's been at Manchester City alone. Nearly half a billion quid on a position where you need four fucking players.

To put into perspective, he's spent nearly as much on defenders as Jurgen has spent on all players throughout his entire managerial career: £663m. And just £135m of that has been on defenders, and £76m of that was on van Dijk who's been unquestionably the best defender in the league since he arrived.

But Pep isn't a chequebook manager, oh no. He's a coach.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Manny said:

Just had a look at Pep's career and he doesn't half have a blind spot with defenders. He's spent £1.3b on players in his management career - but almost half of it (£564m) has been spent on defenders, £433m since he's been at Manchester City alone. Nearly half a billion quid on a position where you need four fucking players.

To put into perspective, he's spent nearly as much on defenders as Jurgen has spent on all players throughout his entire managerial career: £663m. And just £135m of that has been on defenders, and £76m of that was on van Dijk who's been unquestionably the best defender in the league since he arrived.

But Pep isn't a chequebook manager, oh no. He's a coach.

Bit like the one on the OFAH 'Jolly Boy's outing' .

He hasn’t been a chaque book manager, he hasn’t needed to buy. He inherited a squad at Barca with four world class players and they did well. When Real caught up he bailed out and went to Bayern where hewas no better that Heynkes and inherited a great squad. Only at City has he had to buy players, and his buying record is mediocre at best, as for coaching who has he made into a better player? He is a media construct, a fucking fraud. If he had any balls he’d be back at his ‘“first love” Barca now, rebuilding the team and the club. 

• Upvote 3

Do we have any resident Primeira Liga SME’s in here? Or anybody who’s watched Benfica in Europe or Portugal internationals?

Basically, I’m trying to establish if this guy is any good. 

There is an article on BBC interviewing some Portugese coaches talking him up, which I’d sort of expect. 

But he obviously wasn’t their 1st choice. It’s quite conceivable that after Kouibally, Giminez & the Sevilla player, he’s 4th choice. 5th if you class Ake as well.

They have got shut of Otemendi though, which instantly improves him. 

8 minutes ago, Peter Cormack said:

He hasn’t been a chaque book manager, he hasn’t needed to buy. He inherited a squad at Barca with four world class players and they did well. When Real caught up he bailed out and went to Bayern where hewas no better that Heynkes and inherited a great squad. Only at City has he had to buy players, and his buying record is mediocre at best, as for coaching who has he made into a better player? He is a media construct, a fucking fraud. If he had any balls he’d be back at his ‘“first love” Barca now, rebuilding the team and the club. 

Agree with most of this. Even at City, he inherited a world class spine - Kompany - Fernandinho - de Bruyne - Silva - Aguero. Sterling's about the only player who has obviously imporved - but we was on an updard develoment curve anyway. Other players e.g. Stones have gone backwards.

World's greatest coach, my arse.

14 minutes ago, Peter Cormack said:

He hasn’t been a chaque book manager, he hasn’t needed to buy. 

Not sure about that. 

A quick Google tells me he’s signed quite a lot of players. 

What I will say though, is it’s been the players he’s inherited who’ve performed the best - Valdes, Puyol, Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Messi, Pedro, Neur, Miller, Lahm, Robben, Ribery, etc etc etc. 

Similar at Citeh. Can only really say Ederson, Laporte & Bernardo Silva have been outright successes. 

There are a lot of expensive flops of the past 12 years. Obviously not everybody is a flop on the below lists but there are a lot of them...

Barca

B12826DB-87FE-4AD5-BADA-661C935DB8FE.png

Bayern

0162F562-EF93-4929-AA3F-CDE045B4B3E2.png

And it’s similar at City. His best performers have been the players he’s inherited - Aguero, Sterling, Fernandinho, De Bruyne...

E89A33A6-21E0-4C91-AF65-35FF95EB678A.png

22189D91-2449-4539-AEBE-255AAAB625B8.png

What Guardiola has never, ever done, is be the underdog. 

Mourinho to be fair to him has, Ferguson has, Klopp was brought in specifically because he has. Klopp, like Rafa, made their reputations disrupting leagues that were dominated by clubs with vastly superior resources and pulling power. 

Guardiola has only ever dined at the top table, now we're feeding him big dollops of shit and he doesn't like the taste. 

• Upvote 6

16 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Do we have any resident Primeira Liga SME’s in here? Or anybody who’s watched Benfica in Europe or Portugal internationals?

There is an article on BBC interviewing some Portugese coaches talking him up, which I’d sort of expect. 

But he obviously wasn’t their 1st choice. It’s quite conceivable that after Kouibally, Giminez & the Sevilla player, he’s 4th choice. 5th if you class Ake as well.

I watch a few Benfica games and he looks very good. It is the Portuguese league like but he will probably the 2nd best CB in the league after VVD. 

4 minutes ago, aws said:

Never rated him. Nor his tiki-taka boring shite. 

Amen. What pissed me off about it is that the new generation of footy fans who aren't really into footy - you know the type, they usually have more than one club - think that's what footy is. The arrogance of Barca and the Spanish press was that you should basically stand there and watch them batter you 6-nil, and that if you didn't, you were spoiling the fun and are anti football. 

Fuck that. What's boss about footy is seeing an outgunned opponent pull off a great result through sheer tactics, balls and guts. 

Give me the choice between a Houllier Liverpool side beating a Beckham and Giggs era mancs in their prime with a free kick, or us now battering Fulham 18-nil, and I know which one would give me the hard on.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Stacksy has undoubtably watched every minute he’s played.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Amen. What pissed me off about it is that the new generation of footy fans who aren't really into footy - you know the type, they usually have more than one club - think that's what footy is. The arrogance of Barca and the Spanish Catalan press was that you should basically stand there and watch them batter you 6-nil, and that if you didn't, you were spoiling the fun and are anti football. 

Fuck that. What's boss about footy is seeing an outgunned opponent pull off a great result through sheer tactics, balls and guts. 

Give me the choice between a Houllier Liverpool side beating a Beckham and Giggs era mancs in their prime with a free kick, or us now battering Fulham 18-nil, and I know which one would give me the hard on.

Honestly, the rest of the country thinks they're utter cunts.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

I don't know myself, but the general consensus on Dias that I've seen is that he's a rough diamond. Physically gifted with potential, but very aggressive, read rash. So hopefully might be some comedy moments with him. 

And yeah, definitely not first choice. They probably did the deal because they could get a discount with Otamendi going the other way. Kounde the Sevilla player, would have been better. He's shown more and at a higher level, but him, Koulibaly and Gimenez were the more expensive deals. They've basically just settled on the cheapest deal. 

3 hours ago, Stouffer said:

What is this "Cityzens" load of old toss anyway?

They obviously always called themselves the Citizens as a nickname. But because that's an actual word, they couldn't copyright it and register trademarks. So they were dead clever and changed the I to a Y and it looks really hip with the kids. Or something. L

3 hours ago, Scott_M said:

He’s definitely Benfica’s best player but this is the worst Benfica team in a generation, playing in the weakest Primeira I’ve ever seen. Really hard to judge. 

5 hours ago, Scooby Dudek said:

I don't wish to put words in Leytons mouth but I believe what he is saying is people in the media are finally mentioning the fact he just spends money as opposed to be the greatest coach of all time with no context whatsoever.

That's fair enough.

He's built nothing, anywhere. 

He's won things, yes.

But he's never turned things around.  

Never improved things.

That's been obvious I think for quite some years now... and that's the "finally" I'm disputing.

If it's about the media only just acknowledging it, sure fair enough, but the media is pretty much full of makey-uppy, bandwagon numpties, who are very late to the party on this one.

At least Mourinho did Porto.

5 hours ago, Scott_M said:

A good friend of mine is just back from Portugal. He worked in Lisbonne, became friends with Benfica fans, went to many games.

He told me the new les is a good player, leader on the pitch, hard man. I guess we’ll see if he lives up in a new and better league.