You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City - the new bitters?

Naz17

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

I can't get that too worked up about them because they're fooling nobody. Chelsea have been following this modus operandi for far longer and they're still bereft of respect among the world's biggest clubs. 

You have to earn your place at the top table, it takes a long time and you have to do it organically. When you try and take a load of money, especially dark money, and leap to the front of the queue the great clubs and most moderate fans, the ones that really know footy, don't respect you and discount all of your subsequent achievements.

Chelsea's early achievements under Mourinho won't be seen as a golden age by the football history books, they'll be seen as a blip, a temporary insrugency which the footballing gods eventually excreted and the normal order of things were eventually restored.

Seriously, watching them trying to mimic songs, or mimic flags, or even mimic welcoming a bus but doing all poorly, how can you feel anything other than amusement or pity for that? 

They're a fanbase of Tommy Gunns to our Rocky Balboa, a Buble to our Sinatra. Everyone knows it, they know it, Guadiola knows it  - it's why it's driving him slowly insane.

Oh, and man u will always be the biggest cunts in football, there's no comparison. 

Every Liverpool supporter needs to remember this. 

On 08/08/2020 at 18:06, an tha said:

Ferguson was an absolute cunt, a hateful, horrible bastard....but at least he built football teams - including Aberdeen.

As much as hated him, you had to give him his dues...every bit of success this fraud Guardiola has at the cheats is totally hollow.

A horrible question I know, but who would you rather lose a cup final too if you had to choose?

2 hours ago, aRdja said:

A horrible question I know, but who would you rather lose a cup final too if you had to choose?

That is horrible - fuck me! 

I think though i'd have to say Man Utd, as any victory for Man City is rewarding and legitimising cheating and cheating is in my book worse than being horrible bastards.

On 08/08/2020 at 11:07, Elite said:

Much like our league win I don't think they'll care. It's still the biggest prize in club football fans or not.

The no fans part is no issue to me.

For me it is totally devalued by the change in format from last 8 on - in my book you just can't consider it a proper European Cup win when you suddenly change to single leg games for last 8 and last 4.....and in addition have 23 man matchday squads as well (something only usually seen in final)

There's an art to what Klopp does, which is why he loves the game and is chilled, he's enjoying the details and the longer-term development of players.  

Guardiola doesn't look like he enjoys what he does, and every player looks estranged from him, he isn't paternal or fraternal with them, he's just wired and intense all the time and they're all expendable.

Klopp has massively developed Trent, Robbo, Gomez, from unremarkable players when he first encountered them.

He's also found another gear out of otherwise 'ordinary' footballers, not given a second glance by other teams, like Gini, Firmino, Matip, Henderson, to the point they are featured as Balon D'or nominees. 

And then he's found improvements in the games of the elite level players he has bought, such as Alisson, Van Dijk, Salah, Mane, Fabinho. 

Added to that, he's now preparing Elliott, Williams, Jones and Hoever, for life in a world class club.  

And yes, there are still question-marks around the development of some players he has bought; Keita, Chamberlain, Minamino and Shaqiri.

But what has Guardiola done for his Man City team?  

We were all expecting John Stones to push-on and develop, and he seems like the latest to be chucked aside by Guardiola. 

That first season, he brought in Gundogan, Nolito, Sane, Stones, Bravo, Jesus, and Zinchenko.  Personally I'm disappointed by Gabriel Jesus, he's half the player he seemed to be touted as. 

Sane, wow, what a player, but Guardiola just couldn't do anything with him.

He bothered even less with Nolito.  

Since then, 2017, he's basically bought finished articles for big money, so as to avoid the need to develop anyone.  Ferran Torres is perhaps the biggest risk he has taken with a buy in the last 3 years.

But behind the scenes, the same thing is happening with the youth players.   They are signing players left, right and centre from all over the world, many of them for undisclosed amounts.  Tons of them. It's clear that Guardiola hasn't got 'the time' to devote to proper development, and he's just injecting the process with cash.  And at the same time, they're selling these on without ever getting them near the first team. 

Some choice cuts of youth buys since 2017:

Eric Garcia - 1.4m

Douglas Luiz - 10m

Luka Ilic - 2.5m

Mohammed Aminu - 2m 

Phillip Sandler - 2.6m

Morgan Rogers - 4m

Felix Correia - 3.2m

Pablo Moreno - 9m

But I bet you would be surprised to hear how much City raised in the last 2 years from youth-team sales.  It'll be a lot more than we know, due to the amount of undisclosed fees.  Some include:

Maffeo - 9m

Gunn - 13m

Brahim - 15m

Matondo - 11m

Luiz - 15m

Correia - 9.5m

But the weirdest deals stand out:

In 2017 City signed a 24 year old Nigerian winger called Kayode, from Austria Wien, for an undisclosed amount.  

Immediately out on loan to Girona.  Next season, sold to Shakhtar for 3m.  Who then loaned him to Gaziantep.

------

Angelino is a left back who City brought-in when he was 18, but they sold him for £5m in 2018 to PSV without him playing a game for them, but then end up buying him back the following season for £xm, and after 12 appearances last year they subsequently just loaned him out to RB Leipzig. 

------

Which 25 year old American goalkeeper did Man City sign last season for about 7m, but then got sent on loan to Dusseldorf?  Zack Steffen. 

• Upvote 5

Fuck me. Bluto licks city's arse out so cleanly, he must be on their payroll. All he bangs on about is 'elite club' cartels. Not for our martin are the rewards of regular European games and trophies hard won. They are unfair obstacles put in front of a multitude of numerous mega rich owners who are just waiting for the green light to pour their nation's or their own mega wealth into a destitute club and turn them into the next manchester city.

Except, I dont see a host of nations or mega wealthy individuals waiting to pump such sums into English clubs.

I mean does anyone know what bluto actually wants for English and European football? Does he just want to overturn the last 60 odd years of club evolution? Does he want to replace one 'cartel' with another? Or does he just wants fans to turn their back on the game because it's even more a question of who has the biggest wallet?

Im truely baffled by what he wants for the game.