You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City - the new bitters?

Naz17

3 hours ago, sir roger said:

Putting all the other issues to one side , I reckon it would not be great for our title hopes next year  for City to be outside Europe 

Is a good point but I dont think they've lost 9 league games, due to playing in the CL this season.

It remains to be seen if they 'get off' with the charges. I always think 'technicalities' are bullshit, the crim gets off but is still a crim. All the city sycophants in the media didnt think UEFA would sanction them in the first place and they'd get off scot free.

7 hours ago, The Gaul said:

I'm just thinking about this a bit more. All the city journalists were briefing before the last verdict that they had been found not guilty. I reckon it's just part of their strategy to legitimise their outrage when the verdict goes against them. 

I was pretty down about the whole thing before I remembered this.

It went down almost exactly like this, actually. About 2-3 days before the verdict came out ALL the City journos were briefed about how happy City were, they had won, etc. Then the verdict came out and it was a lot of outrage, etc.

I reckon it's one of two things:

1. CAS are bent and City have actually won their appeal, or

2. City are worried they've lost, but someone in their PR firm thinks if they leak how they're confident, then they can spin it as "a miscarriage of justice" when the verdict is handed down.

I know, that helps a lot.

5 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I was pretty down about the whole thing before I remembered this.

It went down almost exactly like this, actually. About 2-3 days before the verdict came out ALL the City journos were briefed about how happy City were, they had won, etc. Then the verdict came out and it was a lot of outrage, etc.

I reckon it's one of two things:

1. CAS are bent and City have actually won their appeal, or

2. City are worried they've lost, but someone in their PR firm thinks if they leak how they're confident, then they can spin it as "a miscarriage of justice" when the verdict is handed down.

I know, that helps a lot.

100% they'll be trying to spin miscarriage of justice if they lose. They'll want to take it beyond cas.  I find it interesting from the little I've heard their defence appears to be procedural, I've not actually heard anything that denies the contents of the emails, more about how uefa attained them and the steps they took as a consequence. I think that's because they want to build their legal argument that can be used in a court of law rather than sport. There's no secret they've always taken the view they believe their lawyers can out lawyer uefa's, I think that is and has always been their strategy. 

2 hours ago, The Gaul said:

100% they'll be trying to spin miscarriage of justice if they lose. They'll want to take it beyond cas.  I find it interesting from the little I've heard their defence appears to be procedural, I've not actually heard anything that denies the contents of the emails, more about how uefa attained them and the steps they took as a consequence. I think that's because they want to build their legal argument that can be used in a court of law rather than sport. There's no secret they've always taken the view they believe their lawyers can out lawyer uefa's, I think that is and has always been their strategy. 

UEFA could just say we no longer allow you into our competitions as you are cheating cunts, they sign up to the rules and they alone broke the so fuck them, just stop them from competing. 

See which mercenaries want to join them then.

Guest Pistonbroke

Slap in the face for football and just a green light for clubs with rich owners to do what the fuck they like. Fuck em. 

3 minutes ago, andyj said:

might aswell just scrap FFP

The only real workable solution would involve the EU shifting their position and allowing a flat rate salary CAP as per the NFL. No ambiguously trying to estimate the real value of sponsorship deals, all income and expenditure direct to/from the club. No parent or subsidiary businesses allowed. All accounts fully posted. Any breach involves an immediate ban.

FFP isn't necessarilly fucked, if they got off by a time line technicality, which is what they were aiming for, then it's no real change to FFP. The PL still isn't restrained by the clock as far as I know but they will do nothing.