You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City - the new bitters?

Naz17

45 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Apparently the traffic was bad. 

Stop laughing at the back. 

It's true, the city centre is at a near standstill with one of the major routes to the Emptihad inaccessible from the west.  However that's been the case for four days, since some panels blew off a building, so people have had plenty of time to make alternative arrangements or work out an alternative route. 

It's just apathy, buying success is no fun once the novelty wears off. 

2 minutes ago, Moo said:

It's true, the city centre is at a near standstill with one of the major routes to the Emptihad inaccessible from the west.  However that's been the case for four days, since some panels blew off a building, so people have had plenty of time to make alternative arrangements or work out an alternative route. 

It's just apathy, buying success is no fun once you get found out.

Fixed.

2 minutes ago, coachpotato said:

Fixed.

Nah, their support has been pathetic for ages as shown by their manager and players calling them out on it. They're not even convincing themselves when they pretend to enjoy supporting City. 

• Upvote 1

From the Manchester Evening news in 2018

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-city-etihad-attendance-fixtures-15141980

Manchester City are headline news for their attendances after an investigation into crowd figures appear to show inaccuracies at the Etihad.

According to Greater Manchester Police figures, there was an average difference of 7,482 between the official attendance given by the club and the actual numbers recorded there in 12 games the police attended in the first half of last season; basically it suggests that one in every six seats at the stadium was empty, putting the club at 83 per cent capacity rather than the 97 per cent claimed.

It is hardly uncommon at grounds up and down the country to see empty seats, as reflected in the fact that six of the seven clubs included in the BBC study had different figures. And while City record their official attendance based on ticket sales, they did accept in a statement to M.E.N. Sport that not every fan that buys a ticket for a game attends it.

"Manchester City record various data sets in relation to the number of people inside the Etihad Stadium on a match day including fans, staff and contractors for operational and security purposes.

"The attendance figures published by the club are based on ticket sales, both match by match and seasoncards, of which the latter sold out in record time ahead of the 2018/19 campaign.

So basically, they are buying their own tickets.

7 hours ago, Alex_K said:

Etihad looks half-full if that for a home league match. What an absolute shower that club is. "Profitable, sustainable football club" - since when did Comical Ali lay roots down in Manchester

Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 19.34.35.png

Didn't know UEFA had given the fans a two year ban as well 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

"If they are happy we are suspended, I say to the president of Barcelona, give us two appeals," the 49-year-old added.

Paraphrasing the late, great Harry Kane there.

His comments are even better in their entirety, and show that Guardiola has well and truly shrouded himself in Infowars-strength tinfoil.

When asked about Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu supporting Uefa over City's punishment, Guardiola said: "I don't know if they spy me but they know me, it is not necessary to spy me.

"If they are happy we are suspended, I say to the president of Barcelona, give us two appeals," the 49-year-old added.

"I ask right now the people trust what they have done. Don't talk too loud Barcelona. That is my advice, because everybody is involved in situations.

"We are going to appeal and hopefully in the future we can play Champions League against Barcelona."

New thread on Bluemoon ‘Don’t blame the fans for the empty seats’ 

It’s truly astonishing, they jump through so many mental hoops to try and prove that they’re a big team with a big fan base. 

‘It’d be full if ticket prices were cheaper’

’Getting to a purpose built stadium with excellent transport links is difficult after rush hour traffic has finished on a Wednesday’

’They don’t have gluten free pies, but I’d definitely go if they did’

’I once went in 2012, so I’ve done my time, how dare you question my support’

’I refuse to go in the winter break because Klipperty is a cunt, or something’

’Fucks chance I’m leavin’ the house when mercury is in retrograde, fuck that’

No, no you wouldn’t.

Their fan base is small, their team is small, their mentality is small and nobody is bothered to show up to watch a game become a non contest after twenty minutes. The fair weather fans who jumped on the band wagon after 2012 are back under their rock, or back to supporting Chelsea, or now us. 

In ten years it’ll be ‘you remember when city...’ just like Blackburn before them.

From Bluemoon:
"We just have to accept City's support as we knew it has gone. The passion in the main has evaporated destroyed by the incessant bile and negativity directed at the club and supporter base, apathy now prevails and Soriano and Co have a lot to answer for turning the Etihad into the 'Theatre of Cheese', we have arguably the oldest supporter base in the division and fans have had enough quite obviously, there is little or no fight left sadly."

Err, since when did City have a large support in the first place? Maine Road had 35000 seats and they never bothered expanding it because there never was the demand. City have always had a small fan base compared to the big clubs, or even one city clubs like Newcastle. That's exactly why the Etihad has so many empty seats. Not because fans are staying away for whatever 'moral' reasons, it's because they don't have enough fans to fill the place! 

They need to downsize the Etihad to around 40,000 if they want to have a packed stadium for each home game.

I honestly don’t think it’s about support size.  They’ve filled the ground for big games plenty of times.  It obviously has an impact but not enough to warrant the sheer number of empty seats at games like last night.  I think it’s about boredom.  They’ve been rich for a while now and won a lot of trophies.  There’s no enjoyment in turning up to watch a formality which is what the vast majority of their fixtures are.  Add this to the fact they’ve now all but lost the league.  Why would they go?  What are they getting out of it?

• Upvote 1