You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City - the new bitters?

Naz17

There's no way City provided 'proof' of the above-board nature of their sponsorship deal. Even without the hacked emails, Uefa would have been within their rights to say okay, what was the second highest bid you received so we can guage your value in the marketplace? This lad has them sussed:

• Upvote 10

12 minutes ago, magicrat said:

Be interesting to see how many renew their season tickets .

The whole ground obviously.  In fact there is another 10 whole grounds worth of people paying the value of a season ticket to be on a waiting list to get a season ticket too.  Don’t ask me for any evidence or I’ll send 100 lawyers around to your house.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, deiseach said:

There's no way City provided 'proof' of the above-board nature of their sponsorship deal. Even without the hacked emails, Uefa would have been within their rights to say okay, what was the second highest bid you received so we can guage your value in the marketplace? This lad has them sussed:

this #taintedtitles is really becoming a thing isn't it.

I think the idea that they’re just going to sell up is fanciful though.  They’re just going to get better at covering this up.  It’s funny how brazen they’ve been when you think about it.  The Etihad sponsorship thing is just completely laughable and they’ve basically got away with it as well.  The FA/premier league are not going to take titles off them and even if this ban sticks it’s just delaying the inevitable it feels like.

If they had any sense originally they would have fully paid the wages off the books as some sort of sponsorship of the player, they would have set up hundreds of fake smaller sponsorship deals for the club and probably most importantly they should have paid off who they needed to at UEFA.  After this all settles down they won’t be so stupid going forward.

The arrogant reaction in the media will be because the guys in charge there will be shitting themselves that they will suddenly disappear in some accident because of the embarrassment they’ve created and they’re doubling down.

1 hour ago, PestiRed said:

Always amazes me in these cases what people put in their emails. Although the incompetence for me was the aggressive strategy from day one towards UEFA. 

Yeah, I don't get it either. I've never put anything sensitive in an email since I called a client a fucking cunt in an internal email and accidentally copied him in in 1998! In my defence he was a fucking cunt, so it would stand up in court. 

35 minutes ago, deiseach said:

City absolutely had "proved" their deals were above board. It's why these years they're being done for now cover the same period as their last fine and subsequent return of some of the fine. It was a closed case. 

• Upvote 2

Just been reading some of the mental gymnastics going on with city fans, it truly is mad.

These are the ‘sensible’ ones.

They’re saying that it didn’t come from the owner, it came from companies that the owner controls and therefore not affecting FFP. Verdict, innocent.

We’ve admitted guilt and that’s alright, because they are looking for wrongdoings and we told them about them so they should let us off. Verdict, innocent.

CAS isn’t looking for guilt, it’s looking for proof and they don’t have any really as the files we’re hacked illegally. Verdict, innocent.

UEFA will owe us 450m if they fail so they won’t bother to fight it any longer. Verdict, innocent.

Only some of the sponsors are ME based, therefore they’re not all dodgy.  Verdict, innocent.

Genuinely alarming that such idiots have internet access. 

31 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Just been reading some of the mental gymnastics going on with city fans, it truly is mad.

These are the ‘sensible’ ones.

They’re saying that it didn’t come from the owner, it came from companies that the owner controls and therefore not affecting FFP. Verdict, innocent.

We’ve admitted guilt and that’s alright, because they are looking for wrongdoings and we told them about them so they should let us off. Verdict, innocent.

CAS isn’t looking for guilt, it’s looking for proof and they don’t have any really as the files we’re hacked illegally. Verdict, innocent.

UEFA will owe us 450m if they fail so they won’t bother to fight it any longer. Verdict, innocent.

Only some of the sponsors are ME based, therefore they’re not all dodgy.  Verdict, innocent.

Genuinely alarming that such idiots have internet access. 

You’ve got to start asking the question of how many on twitter and Bluemoon are actually paid employees of City or bots created by them.  They fake absolutely everything.

On 13/02/2020 at 11:48, Sugar Ape said:

Anyone on Twitter will know the chief City writer for the MEN, Stuart Brennan, is deranged but this article is gloriously batshit. 

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-city-liverpool-guardiola-klopp-17736066

How Jurgen Klopp copied Pep Guardiola to create Liverpool FC success

Man City manager has never hidden the fact his success has been based on the quality of his players - now the Merseysiders have followed the same formula

The fact that the tribe of media punditry is teeming with former Liverpool players has set that skewed narrative. But it simply isn’t true, whichever way you look at it.

No-one should take away from what Liverpool have achieved – they are a brilliant team, the best in the world right now, and their brand of high-tempo, high-quality football has set a new bar so far this season.

Their coach has done a magnificent job of building a team and getting them toned and tuned to near-perfection.

But the likeable Jurgen Klopp has only become successful after tearing up his blueprint, dropping his principles, and following the example of Pep Guardiola.

Three years ago, Klopp was sniffily having a pop at Manchester United for spending £89million on Paul Pogba, declaring he would walk away from football if it boiled down to spending big in order to win.

Roll on a couple of years, and Klopp was happily overseeing the biggest annual transfer spend in British football history, as the best part of £240million gave him Virgil Van Dijk, Fabinho, Naby Keita, Alisson, and Xherdan Shaqiri.

No quibble with that – all good buys, who have not only added value to the squad but have also increased their individual values on the transfer market.

Asked to explain his quite stunning U-turn, Klopp was, at least, honest, saying: “Did I change my opinion? Yes. It's better to change your opinion than not have one at all. That's a problem, whatever bull**** you say, no one will forget it.

“It's still kind of true. I couldn't have imagined the world could have changed. £100million was a crazy number but since then the world changed.”

So it was a huge change of mind and heart which turned Liverpool from contenders to Champions League winners and now Premier League certs.

Guardiola never had such noble pretences. He has always been up front about his position – he needs the best players in order to play the highly technical brand of football he loves. And the best players cost money.

This week, Guardiola underlined his view, saying: “I won because I had extraordinary players at big clubs. The incredible managers don't have these players. They don't have these clubs.

“I'm a good manager, but not the best. Give me a team not like Manchester City and I'm not going to win.”

There is too much modesty in Guardiola’s claim – he has made average players very good, good players great, and great players even greater since arriving at City.

And it is evident that assembling top-class players without having a plan and coaching that plan extremely well, does not get results.

City have spent big under Guardiola, but since Klopp’s spectacular U-turn, there is little difference between the two – Liverpool have coughed up about £236million and City around £244million.

That alone is an admission that to be the best, you have to spend bigger than the rest.

Klopp and Guardiola are the best out there, and now they are singing from the same hymn sheet in terms of spending, the battle is truly on.

Mental replies from him in the Twitter thread as well. 

The narrative of this season’s title race has already been written – grand old Liverpool, steeped in history and tradition, conquering the dirty oil money of shallow, plastic Manchester City.

He got that part spot on

• Upvote 1

"City have spent big under Guardiola, but since Klopp’s spectacular U-turn, there is little difference between the two – Liverpool have coughed up about £236million and City around £244million."

yeah he missed out the bit that we sold players to raise funds to buy better players where as city mainly just brought 

55 minutes ago, index1000 said:

The narrative of this season’s title race has already been written – grand old Liverpool, steeped in history and tradition, conquering the dirty oil money of shallow, plastic Manchester City.

He got that part spot on

I got as far as the first sentence, in which he accredits Guardiola with the remarkable innovation of "buying good players" as a route to success.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, andyj said:

"City have spent big under Guardiola, but since Klopp’s spectacular U-turn, there is little difference between the two – Liverpool have coughed up about £236million and City around £244million."

yeah he missed out the bit that we sold players to raise funds to buy better players where as city mainly just brought 

Maybe he's forgotten where they got Sterling from.