You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City - the new bitters?

Naz17

Is a points deduction really enough?

They have been systematically cheating for ages and have picked up trophy after trophy because of it. Surely being stripped of those trophies and relegated is the only suitable punishment? A points deduction, especially in the current season when there is no CL on offer for them, is entirely meaningless.

1 minute ago, M_B said:

They have been systematically cheating for ages and have picked up trophy after trophy because of it. Surely being stripped of those trophies and relegated is the only suitable punishment? A points deduction, especially in the current season when there is no CL on offer for them, is entirely meaningless.

Should be forced to appoint David Moyes and keep him as manager for 5 seasons.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, M_B said:

I suppose Milner will have to make do with his genuine Premier League win and medal this season. To go with his World Club Cup, Super Cup and Champions League medals. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

If any appeal from City resulted in the ban being quashed completely it could have serious repercussions. UEFA haven't found them guilty and banned them off a lack of evidence. They have top lawyers themselves and it is quite clear City have been breaking the rules, rules set up by an organisation which every team within that organisation should adhere to. 

Their ban could be reduced on appeal, but not quashed imo. It would just push UEFA and the top clubs into bringing on the European Super League and City would definitely not be invited to participate. Fans could whinge all they wanted, if it went ahead they'd still follow pay for it and follow things. 

The courts can only decide and judge on any evidence given, they can't tell UEFA how to run their organisation as such. UEFA could easily say 'Well fuck you, here's our new plans for a Super League, based on X criteria' Criteria which City couldn't meet. 

It can’t be quashed agreed but reduced in the face of City’s bottomless money pit is likely. Banning them for two seasons seems like an opening gambit from UEFA and will wind up as one . 

2 hours ago, Anubis said:

You said that for any medium sized clubs would take years to get a chance at Top four. I’m pointing out that Wolves and Sheffield are close. Leicester may very well do it.

True but what they will never get to be a Madrid , Liverpool or Barca .Its a minor miracle we managed to climb back on our perch . I never believed it would happen until Klopp tipped up and the owners backed his vision 100% . There are no more Klopps out there willing and able to do what he has achieved without a blank cheque book. 
City were never be content to be a Spurs or Leicester and saw themselves as the new Utd .

4 hours ago, chrisbonnie said:

I'll probably get negged for this, 

But isn't the ffp rule just a ply to keep the status quo in football. As in, never allowing smaller clubs the chance to compete at a higher level? 

Say for instance I miraculously come across 20 billion pound, why shouldn't I be able to spend it on making Liverpool the greatest team since sliced bread, or even my local team here in Ireland, shamrock rovers? 

I personally think an annual wage cap is the real answer to ffp. 

So it's more equitable for the team which happens to be acquired by the richest person to be the most successful? I mean, FFP's not perfect, but if it's impossible to have a salary cap like in most American sports to make things even for everybody in a financial sense, you still need something to govern spending. Small clubs can be competent and compete for trophies in given years, that's been proven. 

• Upvote 1

The only 'sympathy' I have for city is and Ive been saying it for years, is that the FA and PL should have taken action when abramovic bought chelsea and started chucking his money about. Not only did that cause hyper inflation in the English game that affected clubs even down in League Two (or whatever it was called back then) but resulted in that club buying up players to stop potential opponents buying them.

City havent done the latter to any great degree but they certainly contributed to another round of hyper inflation in football finances. Similarly, how the fuck PSG have managed to escape leaves me bemused. But again, I suspect city have been hoisted on their own petard by the 'leaked' emails which confirms their wrong doing. No such evidence is available regarding PSG as far as Im aware.

Again, Real Madrid enjoy virtual state sponsorship with dodgey deals yet have managed to escape censure.

12 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Again, Real Madrid enjoy virtual state sponsorship with dodgey deals yet have managed to escape censure.

Yeah, didn't they do a deal a few years ago when they where in massive debt where they sold their training ground to the local council for an extortionate figure then the council rented the land back to them for little or nothing. 

Dodgy cunts. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Not sure on the Judicial timelines regarding their case but I reckon their arrogance will be their downfall. They know damn well that they cheated, but like a rich kid are getting daddy to try and use his muscle to get good grades. Obviously they will take it to CAS which means the English season will have finished before CAS make a ruling, probably between May_July as they'll want it sorting out before the new season starts. This means any consequential punishment from the FA would have to be effective from next season. City can try and take it to the Swiss High Court but as has been said, they rarely take on any cases unless their is doubt, surely if CAS back UEFA  then the Swiss HC won't touch it. UEFA might already know this as it wouldn't be against the realms of possibility that CAS have given them the nod so to speak. 

Sport Lawyer on the radio:

"I have worked at UEFA in the past & what I know beyond doubt is this: there is no way on earth UEFA would have taken such dramatic action without the case against Manchester City being watertight. they should think twice before poking the wasps nest."

1 hour ago, Moo said:

On the Guardiola stay or go issue, I think he'll stay and this has made it more likely.  He's so obsessed with his own image that he won't want this as a stain on his character both in terms of admitting wrongdoing but also not wanting to be seen as leaving a sinking ship. 

I’d say the opposite. He doesn’t run the business side of the club and he doesn’t invest the money. None of this (other than being willing to buy the many many expensive players) necessarily rests at his door.

he can walk under the guise of it being an excuse why he has to move on.

1 minute ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I’d say the opposite. He doesn’t run the business side of the club and he doesn’t invest the money. None of this (other than being willing to buy the many many expensive players) necessarily rests at his door.

he can walk under the guise of it being an excuse why he has to move on.

Indeed it doesn't rest at Guardiola's door, although I'm sure he's fully aware of the nature of his job, however he's such a paranoid and sensitive soul that there's every chance he will take this personally.  I hope he does walk out on them with his "honour" implicit, but I just don't think he's a particularly honourable man. 

Guest Pistonbroke
11 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

Sport Lawyer on the radio:

"I have worked at UEFA in the past & what I know beyond doubt is this: there is no way on earth UEFA would have taken such dramatic action without the case against Manchester City being watertight. they should think twice before poking the wasps nest."

Exactly what I said a while back mate. UEFA have top lawyers working for them and they aren't likely to proceed with something that could cost them a fortune and tumble their house of cards. A lot of the articles being written are just purely down to arrogance, from people Ironically playing the victim they accuse us of. Everyone with a shred of intelligence knows the cunts have cheated and have taken things too far in an attempt toy cover it up or bypass loopholes. 

Guest Pistonbroke
3 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

With pep in charge we've annihilated them this season. I thought with their money and as long as Pep is there we've little chance but Klopp is another breed. 

I agree. However, if Pep walks (think he will myself) then City would have to get extremely lucky to land a manager who could deal with the ego's and a squad made up of 40 midfielders, 6 shit defenders and a few ageing attackers. They'd be fucked mate, less money to spend and lots of potential signings fucking them off. Plus, how many of the current players will be greedy enough to ride out the ban on huge wages whilst not giving a fuck about things? 

1 hour ago, Moo said:

On the Guardiola stay or go issue, I think he'll stay and this has made it more likely.  He's so obsessed with his own image that he won't want this as a stain on his character both in terms of admitting wrongdoing but also not wanting to be seen as leaving a sinking ship. 

He's maintained all along his bosses have told them they were innocent. I think walking away when they're guilty is dead easy and actually the honourable path. 

1 hour ago, Sugar Ape said:

This reminds me in some respects of how we dealt with the Suarez/Evra situation. I’m not talking about whether Suarez actually did it as that has been done to death, rather the respective responses from the clubs. 

At the time I was all for taking the FA to court and slagging everyone off in the press, but I’m just a fan and we always want that. In reality cooler heads should prevail at the club and deal it with quietly and professionally.  

In retrospect it would have been much better just releasing a statement saying we wouldn’t comment while investigations were ongoing and then going on the offensive behind closed doors. All the stuff with the players wearing the T-shirts in support etc... just poisoned the atmosphere around it all even more. 

Since then we’ve learnt to do our business quietly and influence things behind the scenes like the Mancs did under Ferguson. 

City are making the same mistakes being so belligerent about the whole thing and doing stuff like complaining about Uefa leaking to the press while they leak things to the press themselves, similarly the statement they released was ridiculous and I doubt it’ll impress people at the CAS, it would have been much better for them releasing a less combative statement and saving their arguments for the appeal. 

As it is stands now they look deranged blaming Uefa for being judge, jury and executioner. I mean, who else was meant to enforce the Uefa rules and bring charges if they had evidence of wrongdoing?

I’m not bothered if they get the ban reduced to one year, the symbolism of having the guilty verdict upheld and permanently tarring their reputation as the cheating cunts they are is all important. 

City have always maintained they would try to out lawyer uefa if they came after them. This is an entirely predictable situation. From what I have read, there would appear to be plenty of evidence that would stand up in court. The difference between that and the Suarez/evra thing is there wasn't anything that could stand up in court. It was the evidence of one man. 

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, El Rojo said:

We should organise an open-topped bus soon to celebrate our 2014 and 2019 titles.  

You forgot about that all important League Cup title. 

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, Philtrum said:

And the Community Shield. 

May as well get their stadium off them. Could hold a bonfire night party there later in the year.