You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City - the new bitters?

Naz17

Guest Pistonbroke

I rarely use FB but read it now and again to see what mates are up to/contact them via messenger. I also have this City fan as a mate, he's in his mid 50's like myself and was forever banging on about City, he's not posted a thing this season. 

Guest Pistonbroke

I notice the BBC don't have a HYS on it. Imagine if this had been us, fucking whole page coverage and the PM would have gotten involved with digs. 

I've had 'The laughing policeman' song ringing in my head this morning. 

UEFA's defence -- "this is our competition, these are our rules, if you want to play in it you need to respect them" -- is pretty strong. Nobody is forcing City to compete in the Champions League.

Q: OK, so if City are banned, what is the fallout going to be?

A: Well, for starters, the team finishing fifth in this year's Premier League will get a spot in the Champions League (assuming City finish in the top four). Right now, that team is Sheffield United, which would be quite the story.

Beyond that, it is going to be a mighty financial blow to the club. Apart from the €30m ($32.5m) fine, they'll be without Champions League revenue for two seasons. That always depends on how far they advance, of course, but considering they made €93m ($100m) last season and prize money has gone up, you'd imagine it will be around $200m or more. Throw in the loss of gate receipts and reduced exposure hurting sponsorship deals (some contracts automatically get reduced if you don't qualify for the Champions League) and the total could easily be north of $300m. That's more than 25 percent of what the club's likely revenue is going to be across those two seasons.

Q: Ouch!

A: Ouch, indeed. But it doesn't end there. If you're making 25 percent less money, you will need to cut costs accordingly. And that might mean sacrificing some players. Then there's the evident fact that some players may wish to move because they don't want to go two years without Champions League football. That applies to the manager, Pep Guardiola, as well. He talked this week about how badly he wants to win his third Champions League.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/manchester-city/story/4052959/what-manchester-citys-uefa-competition-ban-means-and-what-might-happen-next

Ricky-Gervais.gif&f=1&nofb=1

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, magicrat said:

Pretty much agree and I am not defending City.  My point was that if you're not in the club now there is no chance of getting a membership and sharing in the spoils. Everton have history and have won plenty of trophies but there isn't a hope in hell they will ever be a major force again.

It's an issue to break into the elite in this country, because we have 2 clubs who artificially inflate their revenues in order to take 2 of our 4 slots in the CL. Despite this we've still seen spurs break in and become CL regulars while building a £1bn stadium. It is possible.to build a club and compete fairly and would be a whole lot easier if our league had not already been corrupted. 

• Upvote 5

I can’t believe nobody is calling out that Silver Lake thing for the sham it is.  They’ve got false revenue coming out of their arse with every step they take.  They’ve got infinite money and never plan on selling city anyway never mind for a profit.  As if some private equity firm is going to “invest” in them.  What return do they think they’re going to get from this?  It will be just another scam where they’ve given money to this company which they then “invest” in city to over inflate the value of the company so they can claim the revenue for sponsorship is justified.

I would not be surprised at all if this is a bit of a conspiracy by the big European clubs.  Not that they haven’t done anything wrong and don’t deserve it, I’m just shocked UEFA have had the balls to do it.  These are dangerous people which is why you don’t see virtually any criticism in the media.  People are scared of them for what they will do to you in courts, who they can pay off and you wouldn’t put it past them making people disappear.  There must be a lot pressure from the big clubs and the associations to stop them ruining the game.

I feel they have been set up for an appeal by the way UEFA have behaved in this.

It appears that there have been leaks about this case from within UEFA, and that will be turned into mitigation by CAS.

Sure, City have allegedly threatened to bankrupt UEFA, which if they have done, isn’t the smartest move, but incredibly, they could cost UEFA a shitload of money as they go down.

I’m expecting an appeal to drag out, they’ll get next season in the CL, and then the sentence will be reduced in time, perhaps even to a 1 year ban suspended, and the fine to increase to £50m or possibly more. Not that it’ll worry the Sheikhs.

Money talks above everything in football.

Regarding the Premier League, I think they’d do well, in terms of credibility, to look at how Premiership Rugby handled a very serious but objectively lesser offence by Saracens. It would be entirely proportionate for Pep & co to be enjoying derbys against Salford and Oldham next season, but it’s hard to imagine English football authorities acting so decisively, although a simple points deduction for a single season would be a far lighter sanction than the one UEFA have handed down.

Guest Pistonbroke
9 minutes ago, coachpotato said:

I feel they have been set up for an appeal by the way UEFA have behaved in this.

It appears that there have been leaks about this case from within UEFA, and that will be turned into mitigation by CAS.

Sure, City have allegedly threatened to bankrupt UEFA, which if they have done, isn’t the smartest move, but incredibly, they could cost UEFA a shitload of money as they go down.

I’m expecting an appeal to drag out, they’ll get next season in the CL, and then the sentence will be reduced in time, perhaps even to a 1 year ban suspended, and the fine to increase to £50m or possibly more. Not that it’ll worry the Sheikhs.

Money talks above everything in football.

I'm not sure City can get out of this one, plus their shitty club will be tarnished forever regardless of any appeal and following outcome. They'll definitely appeal, it keeps them in the CL for next season and will realistically be their last chance to win it for a long while, I'm not a Real fan, hate the cunts, but I hope they knock City out. 

One thing for sure. If the FA don't act and City are banned from the CL, it will make it harder for us to defend our title. They'll still have a huge squad and no European football to contend with. 

I just hope this is the beginning of the end as they slither back under their Moss Side rock. 

This going all the way to the Swiss Supreme Court . City will try and make it so expensive EUFA will crumble. The FA will be too scared of shelling out squilliions to take them to task and some sort of much watered down / suspended sentence would be my guess . The cunts are so rich they can’t be held properly accountable. 

10 minutes ago, magicrat said:

15 minutes of fame is not a seat at the top table mate

You said that for any medium sized clubs would take years to get a chance at Top four. I’m pointing out that Wolves and Sheffield are close. Leicester may very well do it.

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, magicrat said:

This going all the way to the Swiss Supreme Court . City will try and make it so expensive EUFA will crumble. The FA will be too scared of shelling out squilliions to take them to task and some sort of much watered down / suspended sentence would be my guess . The cunts are so rich they can’t be held properly accountable. 

If any appeal from City resulted in the ban being quashed completely it could have serious repercussions. UEFA haven't found them guilty and banned them off a lack of evidence. They have top lawyers themselves and it is quite clear City have been breaking the rules, rules set up by an organisation which every team within that organisation should adhere to. 

Their ban could be reduced on appeal, but not quashed imo. It would just push UEFA and the top clubs into bringing on the European Super League and City would definitely not be invited to participate. Fans could whinge all they wanted, if it went ahead they'd still follow pay for it and follow things. 

The courts can only decide and judge on any evidence given, they can't tell UEFA how to run their organisation as such. UEFA could easily say 'Well fuck you, here's our new plans for a Super League, based on X criteria' Criteria which City couldn't meet. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Hahahahahaha. Like those TV companies would be rushing to take on the CL as City strut their stuff against lesser teams from those leagues, being as the better ones would be participating in their own CL equivalents. People like this need serious help. 

HorlocksWalk

Meh
So set up some friendlies with top African, Asian, South American sides on European nights and give them free to the TV companies

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, Jennings said:

Gary Lineker has turned the conversation to Heysel instead. Trending on twitter. 

He's a right bell end of late, the bitterness he is showing this season is revealing his true colours, the jug eared cunt. He'll be out of a job anyway if that right wing Murdoch bitch is given the reigns of the BBC. 

5 minutes ago, magicrat said:

i agree mate but i still think they will lose. If we believe  70% of what we have read/heard on telly then they are going to have to get rid of a huge paper trail or come up with some huge fairytale story of it being a huge vendetta against city.