You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City - the new bitters?

Naz17

5 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

That's a good article. Unlike the one from martin samuel who continues his rant that city's owners should be able to spend what they want on the club because, it 'encourages' other potential club owners to pump money into smaller clubs and achieve the success city have.

But Samuel ignores the fact only city have got lucky. I dont see a plethora of smaller clubs waited to be bought by mega rich owners and pump obscene amounts of money into them. neither does it recognise like abramovic did it with chelsea and mansour with city, it just results in hyper inflation of the game's finances. Transfer fees go up and wages go up. Many more clubs struggle to compete.

Tits like samuel then wonder why clubs like bury go out of business and there are no reputable business men stepping forward to try and save them. What's the point if the next club is owned by a country, entity or mega rich owner who could just blow you away at every turn?

You'd think tits like samuel would want a level playing field where every club could compete. Blackpool got in the PL on a shoestring a few years back. Huddersfield did the same. Sure, they'd have needed more money to compete at the top of the PL but that should come via evolution not instant lottery win.

No shock that Bluto is talking shite. 

How many shysters have we seen turn up spend a few quid and nearly kill clubs 

29 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I think this was an investment in the entire portfolio.

Cause them other few clubs they own are well worth 3 billion. Everything to do with City finances stinks. 

All them clubs pay City millions each year for scouting and football advice

6 hours ago, magicrat said:

Pretty much agree and I am not defending City.  My point was that if you're not in the club now there is no chance of getting a membership and sharing in the spoils. Everton have history and have won plenty of trophies but there isn't a hope in hell they will ever be a major force again.

And yet here are Wolves and Sheffield Utd - two clubs recently in the Championship - on the cusp of doing so.

Guest Pistonbroke

Whilst tossing and turning trying to get to sleep, I thought up a new verse for that lovable Manc song 'Don't look back in anger.' Be great if this got sung to the cunts when we play them.

'And so City can cry, and we all know why there's no Champions League

No Champions to beat, and they'll look back in anger the fucking cheats'

I'll probably get negged for this, 

But isn't the ffp rule just a ply to keep the status quo in football. As in, never allowing smaller clubs the chance to compete at a higher level? 

Say for instance I miraculously come across 20 billion pound, why shouldn't I be able to spend it on making Liverpool the greatest team since sliced bread, or even my local team here in Ireland, shamrock rovers? 

I personally think an annual wage cap is the real answer to ffp. 

7 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Well - there really is no place for a medium sized club at that table. And you don't buy your way in anyway.

But over the last 10-15 years teams like Dortmund, Atletico, Sevilla have played their way into the mix. The Red Bull clubs are trying to do it now.

Sheffield United are a very real possibility to get in this year. Poch and Rednapp did it. Fat Sam nearly got Bolton in. Moyes, hilariously, got Everton in to the qualifying. Leicester played Seville and Atletico Madrid in their foray. Wolves look a good outside bet. Every year there's at least one team that could, realistically, be considered challengers to get in, make the money, improve with said money, consolidate position and finally be part of the 'elite'.

It not difficult if you do it properly. Most of the Prem teams ae in the top fifty richest teams in the world, they should be giving it a good fucking go as they have massive financial advantages over 90% of other European teams! They're just run in a stupid way.

I'd say it's more about good strategic planning, luck and giving it a good fucking go and believing you can, not flat out cheating, but, you know, that might be the romantic in me.

13 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

I'll probably get negged for this, 

But isn't the ffp rule just a ply to keep the status quo in football. As in, never allowing smaller clubs the chance to compete at a higher level? 

Say for instance I miraculously come across 20 billion pound, why shouldn't I be able to spend it on making Liverpool the greatest team since sliced bread, or even my local team here in Ireland, shamrock rovers? 

I personally think an annual wage cap is the real answer to ffp. 

Because it's competative sport not a pissing contest between represive states/crooks/weird cunts off TLW who stumble across B20?

• Upvote 1

Until recently we lost our best players to more "elite" clubs. Our recent success has been down to selling assets and using that money to buy well through proper footballing people being good at their jobs. Our football on the field has increased our success off the field. An oil state walking in and just being able to spend billions forever isn't sport, totally destroying the league's pay structures doesn't just elevate them it destroys other clubs around them. FFP has come in and look at our league now with TV money and a more level playing field with finances other wealthy people have invested in British clubs, many before whete turned off by no FFP. Many sides now have top coaches and class players, wolves Leicester, Sheffield examples of well run clubs with money. United a super rich club that spends what it earns but doing shite because it's footballing decisions have been shite. Then theres Everton a wank stain... nothing to add about them just thought I'd say it.

• Upvote 5

28 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Sheffield United are a very real possibility to get in this year. Poch and Rednapp did it. Fat Sam nearly got Bolton in. Moyes, hilariously, got Everton in to the qualifying. Leicester played Seville and Atletico Madrid in their foray. Wolves look a good outside bet. Every year there's at least one team that could, realistically, be considered challengers to get in, make the money, improve with said money, consolidate position and finally be part of the 'elite'.

It not difficult if you do it properly. Most of the Prem teams ae in the top fifty richest teams in the world, they should be giving it a good fucking go as they have massive financial advantages over 90% of other European teams! They're just run in a stupid way.

I'd say it's more about good strategic planning, luck and giving it a good fucking go and believing you can, not flat out cheating, but, you know, that might be the romantic in me.

What's the story with wolves though. 

How exactly have they got so much money at the moment? 

Not being smart, just genuinely interested. 

It wasn't long ago every top team in Europe was looking at neves from Porto, then one day you put on sky sports news and he's after signing for a team in the championship. 

Guest Pistonbroke
5 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Until recently we lost our best players to more "elite" clubs. Our recent success has been down to selling assets and using that money to buy well through proper footballing people being good at their jobs. Our football on the field has increased our success off the field. An oil state walking in and just being able to spend billions forever isn't sport, totally destroying the league's pay structures doesn't just elevate them it destroys other clubs around them. FFP has come in and look at our league now with TV money and a more level playing field with finances other wealthy people have invested in British clubs, many before whete turned off by no FFP. Many sides now have top coaches and class players, wolves Leicester, Sheffield examples of well run clubs with money. United a super rich club that spends what it earns but doing shite because it's footballing decisions have been shite. Then theres Everton a wank stain... nothing to add about them just thought I'd say it.

Exactly, these fuckers just play Poker and go All in on every hand. 

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

How exactly have they got so much money at the moment? 

It wasn't long ago every top team in Europe was looking at neves from Porto, then one day you put on sky sports news and he's after signing for a team in the championship. 

Promotion from Championship = investment from sponsors, TV/PL money and spending it wisely. Then they made EL which equals more money. Not even comparable to what City have done over the years. 

6 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

How exactly have they got so much money at the moment

It is pretty shady, TBF. 

They are a holding company for the agent Mandes and his clients.

Owned by a Chinese company they use his players, mainly Portugese, and put them in the shop window for him, a quid pro quo if you will. He gets them players and exposure they, maybe, wouldn't be able to get and when they succeed he acts as broker for both sides, making him very, very wealthy. 

It's dodgy, but it's not City dodgy, or at least nothing has come out yet...

1 minute ago, Pistonbroke said:

Promotion from Championship = investment from sponsors, TV/PL money and spending it wisely. Then they made EL which equals more money. Not even comparable to what City have done over the years. 

I never mentioned city. 

So wolves don't have a rich owner then, well, one of these mega rich oligarchs or sheiks? 

I'm still undecided on my opinion. 

It's similar to the abramovich thing back in the day, but being honest, we all looked at them with envy, wishing we could have done the same. 

I'm happier we've done it our way, the perceived "hard way" if you will. 

I've been having a bit of fun on Facebook, nicking pictures off here and taking the piss. There is one mate who is a diehard City fan but always pretty reasonable and a good lad. He is a proper leftie and I have often joked that he should come on TLW as he would fit in really well.

Anyway he finally reacted to my piss takes this morning and we had this interchange, his posts in italics -

At least we've only got ourselves banned.
Not like we've killed anyone is it

If you know anything about Heysel you'll know we didnt. Come on Dean you have to take it, bin dippers, murderers, always the victim (hillsborough) its pay back time.

In reality, City have been waiting for the farce that was UEFA's investigation to be over, so it can be moved on to an independent investigation.
All Blues know how corrupt UEFA are, and how0 much they've tried to protect the cartel, by u
se of FFP. So let's see how it stands up in court. Let's see what a sham this investigation is.
Blimey, and they thought we booed their fecking anthem before, just wait until the Real Madrid game, you won't be able to hear the bloody thing, over the booing of the crowd.
CORRUPT BUNCH OF BASTARDS.

You spent money you didnt earn and lied to cover it up. You broke the rules, whether you like the rules or not. Lance Armstrong had the best team around him yet took steroids to give him the edge, exactly what city have done. You're not the only ones though to be fair, its just that you got caught.

3 minutes ago, A Red said:

I've been having a bit of fun on Facebook, nicking pictures off here and taking the piss. There is one mate who is a diehard City fan but always pretty reasonable and a good lad. He is a proper leftie and I have often joked that he should come on TLW as he would fit in really well.

Anyway he finally reacted to my piss takes this morning and we had this interchange, his posts in italics -

At least we've only got ourselves banned.
Not like we've killed anyone is it

If you know anything about Heysel you'll know we didnt. Come on Dean you have to take it, bin dippers, murderers, always the victim (hillsborough) its pay back time.

In reality, City have been waiting for the farce that was UEFA's investigation to be over, so it can be moved on to an independent investigation.
All Blues know how corrupt UEFA are, and how0 much they've tried to protect the cartel, by u
se of FFP. So let's see how it stands up in court. Let's see what a sham this investigation is.
Blimey, and they thought we booed their fecking anthem before, just wait until the Real Madrid game, you won't be able to hear the bloody thing, over the booing of the crowd.
CORRUPT BUNCH OF BASTARDS.

You spent money you didnt earn and lied to cover it up. You broke the rules, whether you like the rules or not. Lance Armstrong had the best team around him yet took steroids to give him the edge, exactly what city have done. You're not the only ones though to be fair, its just that you got caught.

Seems like a bellend.

• Upvote 4