You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City - the new bitters?

Naz17

Guest Pistonbroke
52 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Apparently Silva has previous for this too. 

He asked Mendy why he was naked when he was wearing a black T-shirt. 

21 hours ago, elBooth said:

"Honestly, I don’t know what will happen,” the City manager said. “They should put their focus on another issue because they don’t know which guy you are talking about. Bernardo is one of most lovely people I ever met in my life. He speaks four or five languages and that is the best way to understand how open-minded he is and one of his best friends is Mendy. He’s like a brother for him.

The image is not about the colour of the skin. He took a picture of Benjamin when he was young and he related it to this cartoon, which was quite similar for the image."

“Honestly, I don’t think what happened about that. If they want to do that and ask for Bernardo, I think he will be open to talk. But first you have to know exactly which person you are talking about.

There are many situations with people, with white people and you look at a cartoon and the face is quite similar as your face and you put it in there, it is quite similar."

Oh yeah bud, the likeness is uncanny.  I'm struggling to figure out which is the picture of the little boy and which is the picture that's drawn with historically stereotypical views of black people.

bernardo-silva.jpg

I wish I could insert a gif of somebody digging a hole he couldn't get out of but I am as good at that as Guardiola is at race relations.

Guest Pistonbroke
4 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I wish I could insert a gif of somebody digging a hole he couldn't get out of but I am as good at that as Guardiola is at race relations.

Image result for Digging your own hole gif

36 minutes ago, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

Elmer.jpg

Doesn't this highlight the problem though. No-one looking at that would think it's racist, but if both were black it would be racist. John Barnes has come out and defended Silva saying what he did wasn't racist, it's just someone saying his mate looks like this character. The fact that they are both black is not an issue.

• Upvote 3

Guest Pistonbroke
4 minutes ago, R BENO said:

Doesn't this highlight the problem though. No-one looking at that would think it's racist, but if both were black it would be racist. John Barnes has come out and defended Silva saying what he did wasn't racist, it's just someone saying his mate looks like this character. The fact that they are both black is not an issue.

What about his jibe about Mendy being naked because it was dark and he was wearing dark clothes? That's about as racist as you can get. 

4 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

What about his jibe about Mendy being naked because it was dark and he was wearing dark clothes? That's about as racist as you can get. 

Sorry, not aware of that bit - just thought he posted a picture and said Guess who?

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, R BENO said:

Sorry, not aware of that bit - just thought he posted a picture and said Guess who?

Check the video out above which I posted. It's a different occasion but certainly suggests that BS thinks it is funny to take the piss out of someone's colour. 

9 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Check the video out above which I posted. It's a different occasion but certainly suggests that BS thinks it is funny to take the piss out of someone's colour. 

Hadn't read through the thread before posting and just seen that now. Pretty shameful that. Think it highlights the differences and tolerance levels of what is perceived as racist in different countries, as we're seeing in Italy etc.

In Silvas' mind that is probably funny, but no right minded British person would dare to post that.

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, R BENO said:

Hadn't read through the thread before posting and just seen that now. Pretty shameful that. Think it highlights the differences and tolerance levels of what is perceived as racist in different countries, as we're seeing in Italy etc.

In Silvas' mind that is probably funny, but no right minded British person would dare to post that.

With Racism in football being used by those in charge to improve their image then it is utterly stupid by BS. As ever with humour one should suss out the environment around them before attempting it. Regardless of the fact it may be seen as humour from where he comes from and his background it's racist, and I reckon he knows that. 

37 minutes ago, aws said:

Cultural differences didn't cut much ice in the Suarez case.  Just referring to someone's colour was sufficient no matter the circumstances or intent if I remember correctly. 

I believe both himself and captain leader legend were found innocent of racism but done for merely making reference to race.

2 minutes ago, No2 said:

I believe both himself and captain leader legend were found innocent of racism but done for merely making reference to race.

That's my recollection too. So it looks like Silva is guilty of exactly the same offence  even if there was no bad intent. But my bet is he'll get a slap on the wrists. 

I don't understand the "Mendy is fine with it" line. If the only person it was intended to be seen by was Mendy, he'd have sent him a WhatsApp or something. Once he's putting it out in the public domain, he has to accept it will be judged in that way. As shown by the video with the black tshirt, it's clear Silva thinks using skin colour to make a joke is ok. I don't want to be the person who makes the rules on shit like this, as life is easy for me because I'm white. However, I think judging by how things are normally judged today, especially by the fa, I think it clearly has to be deemed at racist. 

• Upvote 5

Let's get a couple of things clear.

It isn't the same thing if somebody posts a picture of a white guy with a white cartoon because its a complete false equivalence; racism doesn't work both ways and it shouldn't. You see, racial prejudice can indeed be directed at white people (e.g., white people can’t dance or a white man can't jump) but it does not hold the same weight of impact because of the systemic relationship of power. When backed with power, prejudice results in acts of discrimination and oppression against groups or individuals...and white people have never been historically oppressed. 

But let's remove all of that context and narrow this down to a footballing conversation: the same thing still applies. Which race of players is continually subjected to monkey noises and racist chants in big football leagues across the world? Black people. So whilst Silva's actions may seem on the surface as a harmless joke (FWIW, I do not think he is racist, just a really dumb cunt), but then so can anything...right? I'm sure the ultras in Italy would tell you that monkey chants are just a cute animal noise. Have you ever heard of somebody joking with a white guy as to why he looks naked when wearing a white t shirt? No you haven't, because skin color is primarily the topic of jocular badinage when it is aimed at black people. Why? Because their skin color (and that of other ethnicities) is seen as a deficiency or imperfection, historically.

Secondly, the idea of 'it's just a bit of banter between mates' doesn't fly once you post it on social media. I don't give a fuck if Mendy found it funny. Hell, Mendy would have got mildly turned on by it and jacked off. Anybody consuming that content has the right to be offended, and not only behalf of themselves. My godson is a young black footballer - how does he compute that? What if one of his team mates photoshops his face onto that comparison as opposed to Mendy's?

Fuck Silva and fuck his bald cunt of a manager. They may not be racist but they are certainly obnoxious, tone-deaf and insanely arrogant.

• Upvote 19

9 hours ago, No2 said:

Had a gander on bluemoon about the scouts spying on them, pure fume that no one else gives a shit. Page after page about no one reporting it bar The Times and the FA and Premier League aren't investigating. 

I don't understand why the FA would be involved. We've come to a settlement with city that city are happy with. We admitted no guilt, which indicates proving guilt might be difficult. I don't see what there is to be investigated, when city were happy for our 1m to help them meet their ffp requirement. 

2 hours ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Let's get a couple of things clear.

It isn't the same thing if somebody posts a picture of a white guy with a white cartoon because its a complete false equivalence; racism doesn't work both ways and it shouldn't. You see, racial prejudice can indeed be directed at white people (e.g., white people can’t dance or a white man can't jump) but it does not hold the same weight of impact because of the systemic relationship of power. When backed with power, prejudice results in acts of discrimination and oppression against groups or individuals...and white people have never been historically oppressed. 

But let's remove all of that context and narrow this down to a footballing conversation: the same thing still applies. Which race of players is continually subjected to monkey noises and racist chants in big football leagues across the world? Black people. So whilst Silva's actions may seem on the surface as a harmless joke (FWIW, I do not think he is racist, just a really dumb cunt), but then so can anything...right? I'm sure the ultras in Italy would tell you that monkey chants are just a cute animal noise. Have you ever heard of somebody joking with a white guy as to why he looks naked when wearing a white t shirt? No you haven't, because skin color is primarily the topic of jocular badinage when it is aimed at black people. Why? Because their skin color (and that of other ethnicities) is seen as a deficiency or imperfection, historically.

Secondly, the idea of 'it's just a bit of banter between mates' doesn't fly once you post it on social media. I don't give a fuck if Mendy found it funny. Hell, Mendy would have got mildly turned on by it and jacked off. Anybody consuming that content has the right to be offended, and not only behalf of themselves. My godson is a young black footballer - how does he compute that? What if one of his team mates photoshops his face onto that comparison as opposed to Mendy's?

Fuck Silva and fuck his bald cunt of a manager. They may not be racist but they are certainly obnoxious, tone-deaf and insanely arrogant.

That's incredibly baldist! For shame!

You're spot on.