You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City - the new bitters?

Naz17

I see it kicked off after the spurs game with city fans piling into some of the spurs fans who had jokingly mentioned VAR to them at the end of the game. Aparently GMP made no  arrests despite this being in the evening, not night time, and clear visibility.

It is rather weird in my opinion that city fans continue to take the moral high ground regarding  the coach incident on Anfield Road and, still say they do not understand why Merseyside Police were not able to identify any of the culprits and therefore make any arrests. This despite it being at night and smoke flares going off, mind you.

Maybe they can tell us why GMP made no arrest on a clear evening and with no smoke flares going off when their mob steamed into the spurs fans, never mind finding excuses why their, oh so righteous fans, caused the ruckous?

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Spendthrift Pep and his band of plucky paupers showing how value for money really works...

‘Manchester City have assembled the first billion-euro squad, says a report by the CIES Football Observatory.

City, who have benefitted hugely since the Abu Dhabi group takeover in 2008, spent (1.014bn/£906m) on their current players with Paris St-Germain (913m euros) and Real Madrid (902m euros) in second and third.

The Premier League champions' squad is worth 32 times the value of Norwich's.

Manchester United have the second most expensive English squad (751m euros).

CIES, the football statistics research group based in Switzerland, looked at the senior players in each team in all four of Europe's biggest leagues - Premier League, La Liga, Serie A and Bundesliga.

Paderborn, promoted to the German top flight in the summer, were found to have the cheapest squad, valued at 4m euros (£3.57m).

The top 10

Club / squad value in euros

1. Manchester City - 1.014 billion

2. Paris St-Germain - 913m

3. Real Madrid - 902m

4. Manchester United - 751m

5. Juventus - 719m

6. Barcelona - 697m

7. Liverpool - 639m

8. Chelsea - 561m

9. Atletico Madrid - 550m

10. Arsenal - 498m 

Selected others

11. Everton - 486m

12. Tottenham Hotspur - 465m

19. Leicester City - 312m

21. West Ham United - 259m’

I don’t know how they do it, I genuinely don’t.

When you factor in the stupid prices PSG/Barce paid over the past couple of years it really is staggering the amount that has been spent to manufacture a club.

45 minutes ago, Einch said:

That Barcelona number can’t be right. Feels like they’ve sounded almost as much as City

All I can think is that Barca have about 5-10 youth players knocking about the squad, while City have one or two with the other fringe players costing 20-30 million each. 

4 hours ago, Einch said:

That Barcelona number can’t be right. Feels like they’ve sounded almost as much as City

It's not a measure of how much they've spent - it's meant to be how much the squad is worth. But it's CIES, so it's likely to be way off. I think at least half of their algorithms are just made up of absolute garbage.

I mean, just to take Liverpool for an example, £639m is WAAAY too low. Think of how much it would cost just to get Michael Edwards to the negotiating table for some of our players (and he probably wouldn't sell these for this amount, this is just to start the conversation). Salah - at least £150m. Mane - at least £100m. Van Dijk - at least £150m. Alisson - at least £120m. Alexander-Arnold - at least £100m. That's £620m for just five of our players.

And again, those are just the figures it would cost a Real Madrid or a Barca to open negotiations, and you're already almost to the £639m they claim our whole squad is worth. It's not even close - in reality it would cost well over a billion, maybe even close to two, to buy our squad, and City's is even more valuable than that.

Football journalists are almost addicted to the type of rubbish that CIES puts out. They put a figure next to it and release a top ten list for "most valuable squad" or "best bargains of the summer" or whatever and it gets clicks so they keep going back to it, but it's stupid.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

It's not a measure of how much they've spent - it's meant to be how much the squad is worth. But it's CIES, so it's likely to be way off. I think at least half of their algorithms are just made up of absolute garbage.

I mean, just to take Liverpool for an example, £639m is WAAAY too low. Think of how much it would cost just to get Michael Edwards to the negotiating table for some of our players (and he probably wouldn't sell these for this amount, this is just to start the conversation). Salah - at least £150m. Mane - at least £100m. Van Dijk - at least £150m. Alisson - at least £120m. Alexander-Arnold - at least £100m. That's £620m for just five of our players.

And again, those are just the figures it would cost a Real Madrid or a Barca to open negotiations, and you're already almost to the £639m they claim our whole squad is worth. It's not even close - in reality it would cost well over a billion, maybe even close to two, to buy our squad, and City's is even more valuable than that.

Football journalists are almost addicted to the type of rubbish that CIES puts out. They put a figure next to it and release a top ten list for "most valuable squad" or "best bargains of the summer" or whatever and it gets clicks so they keep going back to it, but it's stupid.

It says spent not value. What's interesting is ours is probably worth 2.5 what we paid while theirs is likely to be worth less than what they paid. 

City, who have benefitted hugely since the Abu Dhabi group takeover in 2008, spent (1.014bn/£906m) on their current players

1 hour ago, No2 said:

It says spent not value. What's interesting is ours is probably worth 2.5 what we paid while theirs is likely to be worth less than what they paid. 

City, who have benefitted hugely since the Abu Dhabi group takeover in 2008, spent (1.014bn/£906m) on their current players

You're right, my apologies. On the BBC description of the CIES report it sounds as if it's talking about the current values of the players, and I thought that made sense since that's one of the reports CIES issues every year.

But I've just gone to their website and when you read the original report it's clear it's talking about the amount spent on the team, not the amount it's worth. It would actually be interesting to read a reasonable (i.e., not by CIES) study on potential transfer value of a squad vs. transfer spend. One suspects that Liverpool would be MILES ahead in that table. City spent a lot but got good players as well, but ours are just about as good and cost much less.

23 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

You're right, my apologies. On the BBC description of the CIES report it sounds as if it's talking about the current values of the players, and I thought that made sense since that's one of the reports CIES issues every year.

But I've just gone to their website and when you read the original report it's clear it's talking about the amount spent on the team, not the amount it's worth. It would actually be interesting to read a reasonable (i.e., not by CIES) study on potential transfer value of a squad vs. transfer spend. One suspects that Liverpool would be MILES ahead in that table. City spent a lot but got good players as well, but ours are just about as good and cost much less.

I read it that way myself, it was only on second reading I noticed it was spend. In terms of our squad I would guess only Lovren, Henderson, Lalanna, Keita, Clyne and Ox are not worth significantly more than we paid for them. Robbo, Mane, Bobby and Salah are all worth various multiples of what they cost, Fabinho, Gini, Virgil and Alisson would all be worth close to twice what we paid. Then you have Trent, Matip and Milner who all cost nothing to start with, that's another 120m at least for those.

With City the starting prices are so high it is difficult for them to grow in value. They could make good money on the keeper, Sterling, Jesus, Zinchenko, Foden and Bernardo Silva, then have 3 lads (Sane, Laporte and De Bruyne) that done brilliant and would be worth a fortune if there knees weren't made of spaghetti. Age makes Silva, Augero Otemendi, Fernandiho and Gundogan worth less than they paid, form, ability and injuries have Stones Mendy and Mahrez worth no more than they cost.

In short if both sides sold all their players only one would make enough profit to buy a bigger boat.

What this report doesn't reference is the countless millions City have spent along the way....... a long,long list of players who they've bought at high prices and sold low, having been complete flops, or had moderate success and been moved on quickly. They lost a packet on Robinho, gave Jo away having spent about £29m on him, Managala £26m (more say some reports) and can't give him away, Nolito, Navas....there's a long list of these. Because of their bottomless pit of petrodollars, they didn't pause for breath, just kept throwing money at the project. We, on the other hand, have largely funded our expenditure by increasing the value of some players - Coutinho, Suarez etc - and getting our initial investment back on others - Benteke, Sakho. But at the same time, our costly mistakes - e.g. Markovic almost certainly had a drag on transfer expenditure.

• Upvote 1

The was a graphic doing the rounds 5/6 months ago which tracks the Top 20 club in Europes expenditure since 1992.

It was amazing how to see teams like Blackburn, Leeds & Newcastle be up there and fall away, Real Madrid, Barca & the mancs be there or thereabouts at the top all the way through, various Italian teams coming & going and then in the last 10 years Man City absolutely roar past everybody - in the last 10 years, they’ve spent more than every club in Europe has in 27 years. 

18 hours ago, Scott_M said:

The was a graphic doing the rounds 5/6 months ago which tracks the Top 20 club in Europes expenditure since 1992.

It was amazing how to see teams like Blackburn, Leeds & Newcastle be up there and fall away, Real Madrid, Barca & the mancs be there or thereabouts at the top all the way through, various Italian teams coming & going and then in the last 10 years Man City absolutely roar past everybody - in the last 10 years, they’ve spent more than every club in Europe has in 27 years. 

• Upvote 1