You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City - the new bitters?

Naz17

13 hours ago, rb14 said:

Hah. "shorter jrnys" is a tautology, so the joke is absolutely on them. 

I may be being daft, it's been a long day and I am very tired. But "shorter jrnys" is not a true tautology in your example. A tautology is when you say the same thing twice using different words. In the example you use the 'shorter' means decreased travel time, it does not refer to a shortening of the word journey. 

Examples of tautology are as follows:

1. The hot summer sun was scorching.

2. I personally made this card for you with my own hands.

3. The soggy ground was wet and covered in mud.

4. I apologize because I am very sorry that I broke your bowl.

5. The teacher assisted me by helping me to complete the math problem.

• Upvote 1

I'm kind of with you. Truth is, I can't conceive of a shortening of "jrnys" without losing the original word itself - "jrns", "jnys" and "jrys" is ludicrous. So perhaps I could have suggested "shorter jrnys" is impossible syntactically AND, as Evelyn Tentions suggests above, impossible. 

I stand corrected and, as ever, remain your loyal servant. 

56 minutes ago, rb14 said:

I'm kind of with you. Truth is, I can't conceive of a shortening of "jrnys" without losing the original word itself - "jrns", "jnys" and "jrys" is ludicrous. So perhaps I could have suggested "shorter jrnys" is impossible syntactically AND, as Evelyn Tentions suggests above, impossible. 

I stand corrected and, as ever, remain your loyal servant. 

The pedants club welcomes you

2 hours ago, 16613 said:

I may be being daft, it's been a long day and I am very tired. But "shorter jrnys" is not a true tautology in your example. A tautology is when you say the same thing twice using different words. In the example you use the 'shorter' means decreased travel time, it does not refer to a shortening of the word journey. 

Stop breaking my bowls you cunt. 

My guess is Guardiola will have one more crack at the Champions League with City (maybe in the knowledge they might be banned the year after) and then rock up somewhere else. Juve may well just appt somebody for a year knowing he will turn up there next summer.

If he's speaking the truth about claims he was told everything was above board then jumping ship now is best way of saving face. Abandoning them next year just before they're banned would be a bit shithousery.  Kompany heading for the exit has a similar feel to it. 

16 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Didn’t he come out and say it’s a load of bollocks and that it definitely won’t happen? 

He did but it was reported pretty much everywhere in the Italian media that he will go to Juve with specific dates for the announcement as well. Maybe something will come out about City being banned from European competition, and he jumps ship. Who knows.

Doesn't mean it's right, but when a story spreads like that it might have something in it. Now there's a big denial from the City and Spanish journos.

22 hours ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

Not a tautology (saying the same thing) but an impossibility. Unless you use a short cut through another dimension, the journey will be the same distance.

You've made him look like a bit of an oxymoron there. 

22 hours ago, 16613 said:

6. 10 years at Everton for boss who proves you don't need trophies to be a winner but he is a winner.

Been watching some of his recent press conferences and the feeling I get with Guardiola is it's more about what he doesn't say than what he does.

He didn't deny being paid 'off the books'. Just saw his arse about being asked the question and deflected it into an issue of "I've just won the treble and you ask me this NOW???"

Also, whenever he's asked about FFP, he doesn't say they aren't guilty, he says he doesn't know anything about it and that his bosses tell him not to worry because they haven't done anything wrong. He then says he trusts them.

To me that's setting himself up for his get out of jail free card if UEFA find them guilty. He can say "nothing to do with me guv" and walk off into the sunset, dazzling people with the reflection off his stupid bald head.

• Upvote 10

7 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Honestly this is probably just a sign of how sad and pathetic my life is but if he leaves them I will celebrate like I would have celebrated them dropping points to Palace or United in the last few games of the season.

I can’t see him going anywhere.  The money he will be getting paid “off the books” will be astronomical.  They’re also his best chance of winning the champions league.  As much as we can buzz off them for never winning it, it’s only a matter of time if things carry on as they are.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see them win quite a few after breaking their duck as well 

It wouldn't surprise me if he isn't being paid off the books because they know the footballl world is watching. What's more likely for me is that he's been promised that once he decides he's done with football he can take up a UAE football ambassador role on about £10m a year, and the job is his for as long as he wants it. Nice little earner with hardly any hours and zero stress.

Obviously I despise City but I am also struggling the comprehend the recent images of 'plucky United or Chelsea' and it pisses me off. The same United who were spending more money than us while we were champions? Or who gazumped the transfer market long before others? Whose manager bullied refs and the footballing authorities and got away with it because they were the goose that laid the golden egg? Fuck off with all that shite.

Their CEO calling everyone else that isn't cheating jealous. Going on about their poor investment, well I suppose when you have unlimited funds and don't have to worry about investments or sponsorships you can be quite confident.

The fucking balls on these cheats, and fuck all of the other teams and their fans. They wanted these cheats to win. 

He has all but named Liverpool and Utd as the club's briefing against them, great to hear. Throw in the big Spanish club's and Bayern and you basically have every elite club in Europe chipping away at the cheating cunts. UEFA will have too go in hard with that amount of power wanting action.