You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City - the new bitters?

Naz17

1 hour ago, Moctezuma said:

This chimes with my experience working down here, actually about two of the lads I know who 'support' them have a significant soft sport for Newcastle 'because, I liked them in the nighties', you just know they were wandering round with those brown ale tops. I've also found that a lot of new emigres to London tended to have Chelsea as their favourite team, especially among the Portuguese and Russian fraternity.

To be honest if they do go into a period of decline it couldn't happen to a nicer club, they are the absolute pits.

As the season has gone on I thought it’s good that they’re going to feel what it’s like being a real football fan.  They were obviously attracted to supporting Chelsea when they were kids because they were winning things and were the London glamour club.  They don’t understand heartache really.  They don’t know that feeling of we are absolutely fucked here and I can’t see a way back.  They always had Abramovich and his money to just buy their way out of trouble.

Now though I honestly think they’re going to completely fall away in the next few years.  I think Abramovich will go and whoever comes in will not be able to do what he did.  If he stays I think it will be even worse.  He’s ploughed billions in without creating anything self sustaining and they’re miles away from the top.  They don’t generate enough revenue to sustain themselves even as a top 4 club and they don’t have the side or the manager to carry them over the line for a couple of years.  It’s too competitive now.

You see these analysis and reports that experts do and think to yourself what planet are these cunts on.  Some fella from Liverpool Uni the other week was saying Man City are now valued at more than Man Utd.  No they aren’t.  All of their revenue is fake and wouldn’t exist if they sold the club to somebody else.  It’s the same with Chelsea.  It’s why the fella linked with buying Chelsea keeps saying it’s overvalued.  You aren’t buying these clubs to make money.  10-20 years ago that was okay for Abramovich and even a few others but even their wealth now can’t buy success because of what city are doing.

It’s going to mean that there’s a load of fans used to success with the tap suddenly getting turned off.  It’s going to create the Everton of the south.  If you read their forums a while back they used to take issue with people saying they were fucked when Abramovich left and it would happen sooner or later.  They were all convincing themselves that he would be there for life and pass it down to his son or something.

Too long didn’t read - it’s going to be glorious watching Chelsea implode.  It’s the equivalent of some cunt you hate winning the lottery live the life for a few years but then the money runs out and they’re back to living the life they hated to begin with but it’s even worse because they’ve lived the high life.

56 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Headlines today suggesting they may get a year ban from Europe over their dodgy dealings highlighted in the German newspaper.

I have to be honest, I couldn't give a shit what they do. 

To me, you either enforce the rules, or change them. 

If they want to have real ffp, grand, enforce real sanctions, ones that actually hinder the team breaking the rules. 

However if they're only going to give some mickey mouse ban, then why bother, just let them spend what they want. 

And as painful as it is to admit. If the shoe was on the other foot, we wouldn't care how much we spent. And that's a fact

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Headlines today suggesting they may get a year ban from Europe over their dodgy dealings highlighted in the German newspaper.

Which as others have pointed out just allows them to throw everything into the domestic competitions. So any of those teams screaming for them on Sunday that thought they might have a chance of a cup, forget it.

Unless the premier league also punish them, it’s useless. They can pay any fines you throw at them.

All we have done this season is add legitimacy to their cheating by making the title race the best ever. It should be a one horse race that the officials would be looking to fix, if were not so brilliant. 

46 minutes ago, 16613 said:

Which as others have pointed out just allows them to throw everything into the domestic competitions. So any of those teams screaming for them on Sunday that thought they might have a chance of a cup, forget it.

Unless the premier league also punish them, it’s useless. They can pay any fines you throw at them.

All we have done this season is add legitimacy to their cheating by making the title race the best ever. It should be a one horse race that the officials would be looking to fix, if were not so brilliant. 

Liverpool were the only thing between City winning back-to-back titles by a combined 45 points. You'd swear people love the title being decided before April. 

Also, should they beat Watford, that's 6 of the last 7 domestic trophies they've won, including the Charity Shield. 

28 minutes ago, A_S said:

Liverpool were the only thing between City winning back-to-back titles by a combined 45 points. You'd swear people love the title being decided before April. 

Also, should they beat Watford, that's 6 of the last 7 domestic trophies they've won, including the Charity Shield. 

We will play them in the Community Shield I guess.  Rather not personally, we could do with the extra weeks preparation 

If they do get a ban, this would be the 2nd time they've been found guilty of breaching FFP, so presumably if they wanted to play in Europe again, they would need to adhere to the rules in future.  I think this would severely affect them. Without the over inflated sponsership  deals, and lack of world wide support, their income would be severely reduced, and put them well behind Utd, us, Arsenal and probably Spurs/Chelsea.

A team that can't sell 10,00 of their FA Cup Semi Final tickets, and have to put Final tickets on general sale, are not a Big Club.

2 minutes ago, R BENO said:

If they do get a ban, this would be the 2nd time they've been found guilty of breaching FFP, so presumably if they wanted to play in Europe again, they would need to adhere to the rules in future.  I think this would severely affect them. Without the over inflated sponsership  deals, and lack of world wide support, their income would be severely reduced, and put them well behind Utd, us, Arsenal and probably Spurs/Chelsea.

A team that can't sell 10,00 of their FA Cup Semi Final tickets, and have to put Final tickets on general sale, are not a Big Club.

They’d just pay off more people, have more sponsorship deals to compensate for the inflated deals, pay more of the wages and transfer fees off the books.  Somebody needs to come up with a better way of stopping them. Reducing squad size to about 18 players above the age of 21 is probably the best way as most clubs operate like that anyway.  Clubs can create better teams than them we’ve proven that.  It’s the squad size and quality that gives them the massive advantage.

Their response today referencing the below is telling:

“The implications are that either Manchester City’s good faith in the CFCB IC is misplaced or the CFCB IC process is being misrepresented by individuals intent on damaging the club’s reputation and its commercial interests. Or both.”

Basically, we’ll sue you for any loss of revenue we can claim to have suffered and can you afford to take the risk. Shades of TTIP about that; right or wrong morally, if it stops us earning money we will take you to court. And Fury’s legal wrangle with WADA which threatened to bankrupt them.

41 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Their response today referencing the below is telling:

“The implications are that either Manchester City’s good faith in the CFCB IC is misplaced or the CFCB IC process is being misrepresented by individuals intent on damaging the club’s reputation and its commercial interests. Or both.”

Basically, we’ll sue you for any loss of revenue we can claim to have suffered and can you afford to take the risk. Shades of TTIP about that; right or wrong morally, if it stops us earning money we will take you to court. And Fury’s legal wrangle with WADA which threatened to bankrupt them.

Not really as UEFA/FIFA/FA are the organisers of a competition and they operate on an invitation basis, so If City wanted to pursue this avenue they would be well within the rights to say ‘as you contravene the stated rules of the competition we will not be inviting you back. You are free to pursue commercial opportunities in other federations and competitions. Now take your beige Harlem Globe Trotter experience to the artic you cheating clampette gimps. Yours, sport’

1 hour ago, R BENO said:

Norwich - purely on the back of repeats of "Delia Smith's TV Christmas Recipe Special" - have a bigger world wide supporter base than Man City.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, magicrat said:

We will play them in the Community Shield I guess.  Rather not personally, we could do with the extra weeks preparation 

Nope, losing FA Cup Finalist have always played the double winners every time as far as Im aware. Course the FA would be gauranteed a capacity crowd if we are the opponents so they could decide to hand us the spot.

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Nope, losing FA Cup Finalist have always played the double winners every time as far as Im aware. Course the FA would be gauranteed a capacity crowd if we are the opponents so they could decide to hand us the spot.

The league runners up always play in the shirld if someone does the double.

When utd beat us in the 96 final, we didnt play them in the shield.

I 'sort of' couldn't begrudge them winning the league due to the streak they put together, but the more I think aboutit the more I think about them the more I think they embody pretty much everything that's wrong with sport and politics. Fined repeatedly for breaking rules and threatened with bans, trying to manipulate and scam their way to success so they can fulfill a role as a propaganda and advertising wing of a despotic regime  that wants more people to go shopping there. 

To paraphrase the chaps in Band of Brothers, this is 'why we fight'. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 16613 said:

I think it depends. Keeping them out of the Champions League until they complied would have a big impact. The top players and managers wouldn't spend a long time there if they didn't get to play in it.