You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City - the new bitters?

Naz17

Generally indifferent to them and always have been, they're not really considered to be members of the top table in Europe and there's not much they can do about it.

Ironically I think to an extent we've scuppered their business model. I think their owners knew they could but the league if they put enough money in but that doesn't buy you an international following (which is what their owners want as they see the club essentially as an extension of their propaganda arm.)

That's why they got Guardiola and wanted him to bring in attacking footy, they wanted the Barcelona vibe to attract the foreign fans.

But IMO I reckon we've took the shine off that. Most of the kids in places like Afirca and the middle East are gonna be pretending they're Sallah and Mane, while we've got the American market sewn up due to our owners and pedigree. 

If we play city at the Harlem Fudge Packer stadium in the summer how many are gonna be there to see us and how many to see them? 

One thing that has started to grate on me though is Guardiola going a bit Moyes and trying to paint them as some kind of plucky underdogs. Mindblowing stuff.

• Upvote 2

Genuinely think they are as nasty as Chelsea fans. They are horrible spiteful bastards. Their thread on Kaldoon on bluemoon was hillarious. Having said that i don't know any blue mancs so maybe it's just bluemoon and their away fans.

I mean United and us hate each other in a way that befits two of the biggest clubs in the world, but there is a respect there. Everton was a great club and it more saddens me that younger reds and blues will have a different derby experience than older ones. The two tribes doc on bt was great to watch but showed we've lost so much in the city....i mean blues cheering on Mancs in 2014 and this year....they should be ashamed of themselves. When the Manc clubs used to go to Goodison, the security operation used to be bigger for the pol than when they played at anfield. Now the bluenoses are just short of giving the mancs happy meals and a pint to a man and woman.

The bad feeling between us and City will be ramped up big time in the next few years because nobody is going to finish above us and them. 

6 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

Who doesn't? Even his own brother thinks he's a massive twat.

I know he's been a City fan even when they were shit, but the arrogance of him, gegging in on the celebrations in the dressing room not to mention his politics! He's a fucking whopper!

• Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

They still don’t get it. Their players and fans singing “champione” the plastic dickheads.

I just marvel at the dickheads who dont know this is Italian and so it's campione not champione.

And am I just being sensitive or did those twats take a sly dig at us having their shirts with '19' on the back? I know its 2019 but wouldnt they rightly have number 4 or the number of titles they have won instead seeingas the title year is 2018 / 19?

6 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I just marvel at the dickheads who dont know this is Italian and so it's campione not champione.

And am I just being sensitive or did those twats take a sly dig at us having their shirts with '19' on the back? I know its 2019 but wouldnt they rightly have number 4 or the number of titles they have won instead seeingas the title year is 2018 / 19?

Nah mate, they're not that bright!

They've become the most toxic fans in the country. Worse than Everton and United by far. They're still absolute nobodies and try to manufacture these rivalries with us with this hatred that is so contrived and forced. It's pathetic. No one cares besides the fact that they are rich in ways that aren't fair, but besides that they are so vanilla. 

7 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Soaking Gary Neville with ale even though he wanted City to win the league.

To be fair to Neville, he honestly said he doesn't like either club but United have the much bigger rivalry with us and he's terrified of us dominating for years.

City fans can't buy that kind of rivalry overnight because even though they have one of the best club teams ever, they are a plastic non entity.

35 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

To be fair to Neville, he honestly said he doesn't like either club but United have the much bigger rivalry with us and he's terrified of us dominating for years.

City fans can't buy that kind of rivalry overnight because even though they have one of the best club teams ever, they are a plastic non entity.

City can't be considered among the best ever until they win a few European Cups. Winning English trophies is all well and good but the CL on at least a few occasions is still the measure of greatness.

• Upvote 1

It's the engineered rivalry that makes me laugh, like it has been there for ages. Chelsea tried that one on us too, especially in the Shitcoat (Part 1) years. This could have oh so easily gone tits up for them. Sphincters would have been twitching and arse cheeks floundering had Brighton taken that lead to 24 minutes rather than the 24 seconds or whatever it was. But their thick as fuck, neanderthal, sister fucking former Stockport County supporting populace would have been too arrogant to have dealt with that. It would have been all about our luck, money spent etc because we had the temerity to not let them win the league before the clocks went forward.

They are a poisonous set of fans, more extremist than Scum or Bitters fans as they have to be able to quantify their hatred of the 'dippers', 'swamp rats' , 'murderers' or whatever unoriginal name they have taken ownership of. 

These forum threads on other sites make me laugh too, whilst I am at it. The ones dedicated to 'Lets all laugh at loserpool' and their ilk. Our traditional red and blue friends really do not have much to laugh at. Our sky blue friends use it as a stick to beat us with. Whichever way they dont have the agency to describe how I feel about all of this. I am not crying, I have a sense of pride in my team that I perhaps have never felt before. I have plenty of people in 'real life' to tell me how I am supposed to feel.  I hope they enjoy the moment. We are not done by a long chalk.

41 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

City can't be considered among the best ever until they win a few European Cups. Winning English trophies is all well and good but the CL on at least a few occasions is still the measure of greatness.

They won't be considered a truly great team until they win the Champions League. Having said that, i do think they are the best club team in world football right now with us a very close second. 

They are every bit as good as the Mancs treble winning team. I think Liverpool in the 70s and 80s was the greatest English club side of all time, but not much in it. Mancs would say their treble winning team. I think that must irk City fans - they can't genuinely enter that debate with this team until they win big ears. 

I just hope that becomes more their focus next year and they take the foot off the gas even slightly.

When Klopp says nights like Barcelona are worth more than trophies I know exactly what he means.  It’s the reason he came here and didn’t go to Disneyland.  He was being polite as well.  What he means is nights like Barcelona here mean more than trophies at places like City.  A trophy here would mean more than nights like Barcelona but when you’ve got clubs like City just buying trophies it’s not the be all and end all for him.  Trophies there are inevitable just like they were at Chelsea and they are at Real and Barcelona.  It’s why the managers change so often because they’re essentially irrelevant.

What’s transpired at City has shown you can’t buy what we have.  I said it a while ago and I still feel it now.  There are more people genuinely bothered about our club than any other club in the world.  Man Utd, Barcelona and Real may have massive revenues and people buying their shirts etc but look at the state of their fan bases.  Real pretty much boo any and all of their players regardless of what they achieve.  Barcelona away fans were getting into a spat in the airport with Messi.  Man Utd fans on redcafe are nominating a team to support next year because they’re fed up with their own.  They finished second themselves last year.  Can you imagine any of this shit going on here?

The problem the city owners are going to find is that when you buy success and get it so quickly there’s no draw for the fans any more.  It’s why they’re playing in front of half empty stadiums.  Even their own fans are bored.  The half that are there will be mostly corporate paid for tickets as well.  It explains the reaction to the potential late winner they scored against spurs.  Most of those cunts probably don’t know what offside is never mind VAR.  Imagine how bad it’s going to be when they go through a dry spell for a year or two which will happen at some point.  Bluemoon is full of foreign glory hunters who are trying to prove what great supporters they are by just reeling off the classic scouse abuse.  The united forums have been full of it for years.  The funny thing with the United ones is that now those supporters have actually followed united for a decent amount of time they’re now less inclined to go down that route.  You can see them popping up saying they don’t understand why United fans from Manchester hate Liverpool so much and why are they so bothered about us when they’re absolutely shite themselves.  It’s a great to time to be a red trophies or not.

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Even if they do they still won't be considered a major European club as long as their success is put down to the fact they're able to outspend any club in the world. 

It was the same with Chelsea. They have won the CL and numerous leagues over the past ten years and it matters not a jot, they're still firmly in the second tier of European clubs.

It takes decades to build a reputation and also, in my view, it has to predate the era of big money and big spending. I remember Erikson's Lazio blowing big money on players in the 90s, proper stupid money on all sorts of class players, I still didn't put them alongside Juve and Milan and certainly wouldn't now either. 

What pisses most of our rivals off still isn't just our pedigree, but the fact that we've built things properly again from the foundations up. We're not buying our way to the top (quite the opposite, we've had to build even as predators have come in and nicked our best players - something city don't have to contend with due to their spending power, still).

If I'd have been a rival fan I'd have been genuinely fucking devastated watching the atmosphere at Anfield against Barcelona. If you're not a Liverpool fan you'll never know what that feels like and it's something only a handful of clubs - all of them outside of England - can come anything close to. Certainly City never will, never. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Even if they do they still won't be considered a major European club as long as their success is put down to the fact they're able to outspend any club in the world. 

It was the same with Chelsea. They have won the CL and numerous leagues over the past ten years and it matters not a jot, they're still firmly in the second tier of European clubs.

It takes decades to build a reputation and also, in my view, it has to predate the era of big money and big spending. I remember Erikson's Lazio blowing big money on players in the 90s, proper stupid money on all sorts of class players, I still didn't put them alongside Juve and Milan and certainly wouldn't now either. 

What pisses most of your rivals off still isn't just our pedigree, but the fact that we've built things properly again from the foundations up. We're not buying our way to the top (quite the opposite, we've had to build even as predators have come in and nicked our best players - something city don't have to contend with due to their spending power, still).

If I'd have been a rival fan I'd have been genuinely fucking devastated watching the atmosphere at Anfield against Barcelona. If you're not a Liverpool fan you'll never know what that feels like and it's something only a handful of clubs - all of them outside of England - can come anything close to. Certainly City never will, never. 

Foreign people love the passion of our support. You meet a group of Dutch and Germans for example and they find out you're a liverpool fan and they are high fiving you, while with other English clubs there is a fair bit of disdain.

We get passion like no other English club. Maybe the Mackems/Geordies have it to an extent and the Celtic fans have it up north, but nothing even close to us.

14 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Foreign people love the passion of our support. You meet a group of Dutch and Germans for example and they find out you're a liverpool fan and they are high fiving you, while with other English clubs there is a fair bit of disdain.

We get passion like no other English club. Maybe the Mackems/Geordies have it to an extent and the Celtic fans have it up north, but nothing even close to us.

Was partly gutted about not having Ajax in the final as we all would have been singing YNWA. 

• Upvote 1

We need to be careful about saying big nights or coming 2nd means more - we don't need to give the media or other clubs any ammunition.

Winning trophies is everything and all that matters.  I will stick with Shankly rather than "this means more". 

We are getting close and lets win number 6.

• Upvote 3

56 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

What pisses most of our rivals off still isn't just our pedigree, but the fact that we've built things properly again from the foundations up. We're not buying our way to the top (quite the opposite, we've had to build even as predators have come in and nicked our best players - something city don't have to contend with due to their spending power, still).

The Chelsea thing is a really interesting case.  I’ve got to know a gang of lads from London quite well over the past 4/5 years.  Half of them are Chelsea fans the others support QPR, Watford, Spurs and Arsenal.  They’re all in their mid 20s and the Chelsea fans know nothing other than success really.  The thing I find weird is that most of the Chelsea fans brothers and dads all support different teams.  In the last year they’ve stopped watching football generally other than the big games.  It looks like the tap has been turned off for them.  Abramovich has fucked off and it looks like Hazard is about to as well.  They’ve got a transfer ban and in all likelihood a manager who will be looking for a payoff within the next 12 months.  It’s going to be interesting to see how they react to a continuous period of failure.  In all likelihood I think they will just not bother at all.