You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City - the new bitters?

Naz17

1 hour ago, House of Dirk said:

'That song' about the slip has been going so long in some teams cases that Gerrard should get royalties from it.

I wonder if we win it this time will it be confined to history? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, No2 said:

I wonder if we win it this time will it be confined to history? 

The thing that bugs me is that I get it's an incident that will attract a bit of stick, perfectly understandable, what pisses me off is the Big John Terry slip which in the penalties of a Champions League final absolutely cost that club a trophy and yet hardly gets a mention or sung at every ground. The irony that it was Chelsea fans who took on the Gerrand chant is there for all to see.

13 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

The thing that bugs me is that I get it's an incident that will attract a bit of stick, perfectly understandable, what pisses me off is the Big John Terry slip which in the penalties of a Champions League final absolutely cost that club a trophy and yet hardly gets a mention or sung at every ground. The irony that it was Chelsea fans who took on the Gerrand chant is there for all to see.

Isn't that because nobody really gives a toss about John Terry or Chelsea? 

Envy is the root of all the antipathy.

• Upvote 2

On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 15:37, Boss said:

Maddest thing about that clip, is that without actually being told, I would have no idea those were supporters of a team who had scored and then had the goal disallowed. Absolutely soulless. Modern football enablers.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, skaro said:

Wasn't the Europa League Final in 15/16?

Yes it obviously was, not sure what I was thinking.

The season out of Europe completely fucked with my mind when I wrote that.

Cant seem to edit it now though, sorry about that, will never happen again. 

• Upvote 1

One thing that summed up the majority of City’s support in a nutshell was the last 15 minutes against Spurs. After the embarrassing effort with the plastic flags at the start they made no sound after Llorente scored until they thought they’d scored the winner. Zero passion from plastic nouveau fans and ones who probably used to support Chelsea. 

• Upvote 2

They've spent decades watching the rivalry between us and Utd from the sidelines and now they're desperate to have a piece of the action. Hating us makes them feel like a big club. Same thing happened with Chelsea when they won their 

lottery -they were too important for Millwall and West Ham all of a sudden. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Yes, I think there are lots of factors here.

One, as you allude to, is that I think a lot of fans of other clubs are a bit worried that we're not going away any time soon. In fact, it's what is making me calmer in this title run in (that and the fact it's not in our hands, obviously). I fully expect us to challenge for the title again next season. I didn't in 2009 because of the owners, and I didn't in 2014 because of the manager.

Another thing is that the very worst of fans is most prominent. Forums, twitter, etc, they do tend to attract a quite sizeable amount of utter bellends. Confidence built from anonymity. 

Banter culture has led to some of the utter cuntery. Skysports, betting adverts, etc, all gear fans up to hating/laughing at other clubs, rather than supporting their own. Laughing at misfortune, even if it has absolutely nothing to do with your club, or is aimed at teams that are challenging for/achieving things you couldn't possibly dream of. It's a way for the fan of Mansfield to bridge the gap between themselves and us, or Tottenham, etc. 

I think it's partly a generational thing as well. That's not to say there aren't plenty of middle aged twats engaging in this shite, but I think generally if you speak to someone in the pub in their 50s they'll have a considerably mellower view of us as a club (if they don't support a rival) than if you speak to someone in their 20s. They're less affected by all the absolute bollocks that comes with modern football. In fact, they often detest it.

And, more than anything, I think football is always a turbo charged version of wider society. It reflects the utter cuntery of constant one-upmanship. There is nothing more depressing than hearing one group of largely working class (decreasingly so, obviously) people sing about the economic misfortune of another group of largely working class people. The owners of football clubs, up in their boxes must be pissing themselves. It always conjures up images of Roman emperors at the Colosseum. 

'Bread and Circuses.' Copyright Juvenal circa 2 AD.

On 23/04/2019 at 22:56, manwiththestick said:

Another thing is that since then, Chelsea have won it, whereas Liverpool still wait for that elusive league title. 

Imagine how hollow the Gerrard song would sound being aimed at the supporters of the reigning title holders? Hell, even winning the Champions League would go a long way to shutting it up. 

Won-Fuck-All Spurs can still brag about finishing higher than Liverpool more regularly of late FFS. Basically, start winning shit and the pisstaking about not ever winning shit loses its meaning. 

• Upvote 1

If we don't win the league you will get bitter Evertonians rejoicing despite them.winning fuck all for 25 years and finishing 41 or more points behind us. 

When Man Utd won most everything for 21 years I was happy that they didn't win more but sad and embarrassed that Liverpool were miles away from competing with them. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Doctor Troy said:

If we don't win the league you will get bitter Evertonians rejoicing despite them.winning fuck all for 25 years and finishing 41 or more points behind us. 

When Man Utd won most everything for 21 years I was happy that they didn't win more but sad and embarrassed that Liverpool were miles away from competing with them. 

We've moved on as a fan base and team as we now don't worry about using another team to vicariously hate as true rivals,or win trophies through. Some other clubs are stuck in that pit of sinking sand so will never move forward.

32 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

91 points and we still most likely won't be champions. I just can't get my head around that considering you have seen the title won for far less points in recent years. 

We wouldn't have won it last season with 91 points either.  Until Guardiola leaves the Premier League it will probably never be enough. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TK421 said:

We wouldn't have won it last season with 91 points either.  Until Guardiola leaves the Premier League it will probably never be enough. 

Probably won't but that depends on other sides actually turning up against them. Too many teams just right the game off but their back 4 is vulnerable and too many teams include top 6 don't go at them

9 minutes ago, TK421 said:

But I think 25 out of the 27 Premier League season it would have been enough.  Fucking Ben Johnson bastards

5 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Probably won't but that depends on other sides actually turning up against them. Too many teams just right the game off but their back 4 is vulnerable and too many teams include top 6 don't go at them

I don't think we can depend on other teams.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Red_or_Dead said:

But I think 25 out of the 27 Premier League season it would have been enough.  Fucking Ben Johnson bastards

No doubt it would be enough if we weren't up against them.  Whilst Guardiola is there, we need to raise our own standards rather than relying on theirs to fall.  The combination of him and all that money doesn't give much hope to the rest.

He usually has a burn out and wants a break at some point as he is so heavily focused on the job. 

He keeps getting linked to Juventus but it would be a bit boring for him if he went there as they piss the league even easier than City have. 

I don't think he will leave City until he wins the Champions League with them.

I think he may even leave football together if it takes him.a few more seasons to eventually win it. He drops hints every now and again that he doesn't want to be a manager for a very long time. 

8 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

He usually has a burn out and wants a break at some point as he is so heavily focused on the job. 

He keeps getting linked to Juventus but it would be a bit boring for him if he went there as they piss the league even easier than City have. 

I don't think he will leave City until he wins the Champions League with them.

I think he may even leave football together if it takes him.a few more seasons to eventually win it. He drops hints every now and again that he doesn't want to be a manager for a very long time. 

"What first attracted you to Bayern, City and Juventus..."

He'll win the league, improve the football, and fuck up in Europe.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Leyton388 said:

91 points and we still most likely won't be champions. I just can't get my head around that considering you have seen the title won for far less points in recent years. 

Could end with 97 and not be enough.

People talk about raising our level to compete with the cheating gets....well how much more can you raise it than this?

It is an obscene level - unseen in history.

..If 100 pts is what you need now then it is just fucking mad.

It would help if teams actually bothered to turn up against the cunts rather than just writing the game off. I mean palace went there and won ffs and Newcastle did a number on them. 

If this is a sign of things to come where 97 points and only 1 loss won't win you the league due to those cheating cunts then what's the fucking point? 

29 years without a league title and we are about to have our greatest points total and league Champaign and it counts for nothing. 

• Upvote 4