You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bastarding phone adware

Redder Lurtz

I'v got a Samsung S8. Keep getting ads pop up which interrupt all other apps. The screen goes very dark then an ad pops up in a browser with a FB Messenger logo in the too left. I've even tried uninstalling messenger but it@s still happening. The ads are weird - Suzuki, Yorkshire Water. Bizarre and very annoying. Any ideas, TNF?

I'v got a Samsung S8. Keep getting ads pop up which interrupt all other apps. The screen goes very dark then an ad pops up in a browser with a FB Messenger logo in the too left. I've even tried uninstalling messenger but it@s still happening. The ads are weird - Suzuki, Yorkshire Water. Bizarre and very annoying. Any ideas, TNF?

Install Malwarebytes and blitz the bastard mate.

If Malwarebytes does not work have a look in your installed app list. Possible that you have installed something clicking it. Have a look particularly under zz or starting with a full stop. I had this a couple of weeks ago but can't remember the name of it. Uninstalling said strange named adware and a reboot worked for me.

Backed up everything, factory settings restore and it's still happening ffs

If you have a virus wouldn't that also have been backed up and then restored? 

Have you downloaded any anti virus software like AVG and run it?  It may be that you have to reset it and then reload all your apps and info into the phone.

Found the little bastard. It was in a compass app I downloaded. Found it by chance when restarting the phone as there was a very brief popup window labelled compass. I uninstalled it and it's gone.

Quite ironic that an app designed to help you find things hid adverts that was hard to find.