You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Music Books

Lee909

Echo the shouts for England's Dreaming and Revolution in the Head and i'll add "Morrissey and Marr : The Severed Alliance" by Johnny Rogan  and "Rip it up and start again (post punk 78-84)" by Simon Reynolds.  There's a decent book on The La's out there too called "A Secret Liverpool ; In Search of The La's" and Paul du Noyer's  "Liverpool : Wondrous Place" which gives a history of Liverpool music. Finally, Brian Nash's "Nasher Says Relax" is an amusing look at Frankie's rise in the 80's. Hes also a top fella and a red. 

Letters From Cythera - Jaz Coleman 

Full of personal depth, very truthful account of his career in Killing Joke and predictably covers diverse subjects more Off The Wall than Wacko Jacko.

Their documentary 'The Death and Resurrection Show' is a fine accompaniment.

Also- Playing the Bass with Three Left hands by Will Carruthers (Ex S3) & Spacemen 3 and the Birth of Spiritualized by Erik Morse are essential Rugby scene reading

• 2 months later...

Been reading a wee bit again recently, read these in the last few weeks:-

Respect - David Ritz's biography about Aretha Franklin. Well worth a read this one, I didn't realise how much of a diva she was but still by far the greatest in my eyes. Managed to pick a brand new copy up for £2.50 which was a bonus.

Miles - Ian Carr's autobiography written with Miles Davis. I have a much greater understanding of his music than I did last time I read this (about 10 years ago) & really enjoyed it this time. Love his rants about women & white people although it could do with more in depth music stuff at times.

Iron Man - Tony Iommi's autobiography. I'm in the middle of this now, it's not the most articulate book I've ever read but it's pretty funny in places. I didn't realise quite how much he'd had to go through with his fingers being chopped off, pretty miraculous that he ended up contributing what he did to music.

• Upvote 1

Got The Beastie Boys Book and Chamber Music by Will Ashon about The Wu waiting for me when I’ve finished what I’m currently on. 

Got Goldie’s autobiography but gave up as it was fucking boring (not sure how he managed that with his life story). Also got one on David Rodigan too. 

• 1 year later...