You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Today's site issues

dave u

My fault, kind of.

I was trying to do some necessary work in the background on upgrading the site, but it had some, shall we say, unforeseen results!

The upshot of it was the database was fucked and I had to restore to the back up that I (thankfully) had taken before I started messing around.

So all posts made today after 3.45 ish are lost unfortunately. 

Sorry!

And now to another equally serious problem; the record levels of TLW server failure.

Now, some TLW members argue that server failure is the result of my mismangment and underspending. Well they could not be more wrong. Because we all know what really causes server failure on this website, don't we gentlemen? Server failure on this website is caused by pixies.

I don't mean the nice, ordinary ones who sit on toadstools playing a whistle. I'm talking about the nasty, evil, malevolent pixies. The tiny green ones, with the black pointy beards, who go around our servers - and we've all seen them - that go around our servers casting their wicked spells and bringing about mass database failures on a scale not seen since the Millennium bug.

• Upvote 1

And now to another equally serious problem; the record levels of TLW server failure.

Now, some TLW members argue that server failure is the result of my mismangment and underspending. Well they could not be more wrong. Because we all know what really causes server failure on this website, don't we gentlemen? Server failure on this website is caused by pixies.

I don't mean the nice, ordinary ones who sit on toadstools playing a whistle. I'm talking about the nasty, evil, malevolent pixies. The tiny green ones, with the black pointy beards, who go around our servers - and we've all seen them - that go around our servers casting their wicked spells and bringing about mass database failures on a scale not seen since the Millennium bug.

Dave Usher - the Mourinho of server management ?

While we're talking about site issues, for a long time I would get one of those redirect type pages that would pop up and tell me I've won something, and to click on the OK button to claim my prize etc. I would have to close the whole browser down to get out of the bloody thing. Not seen that happen for a while though, might be gone.