You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

"Least affordable" tickets in league...

an tha

Not surprising really as we all know prices are shocking. I suppose the good news is that if they did a value for money table we'd be topping it at the moment.

Personally i think all top clubs have got it wrong with ticket prices....it is a bit sad to see us as "the worst" though....although i am sure like anything there is probably another measure that could be used to paint a different picture with same numbers!

I honestly belive that a flat £20 a pop for normal tickets would actually not see a dramatic change in matchday revenue....as people would probably be more inclined to spend more money in ground on programmes/kids in club shop etc.

Hike up the prices for the corporate pricks and maybe put a premium on a couple of thousand of these thomas cook whoppwr break tickets they do and i honestly believe that they would come out roughly where they are now....ticket prices are a very small drop in the ocean these days anyway.

• Upvote 2

What a pointless stat that is. The cheapest season ticket price against the average local income is only of any merit if clubs exist in a vacuum that is only there to serve local people.The Everton way if you like.

A more relevant parameter could show what percentage of total capacity is represented by the cheapest and most expensive tickets. Also take into account things like restricted view seats.

One problem with the stat used in the article is that theoretically, a club could offer an adult season ticket for a tenner, and be based in an area where the average income is around £25k. Such figures would make that club the 'most affordable' to watch in that list by a long long way. But what if the club was only offering say 10 seats at that price? Is that really a valid reflection of how affordable the tickets are at that club?

Could season tickets be cheaper? Of course they could. There's an awful lot of opinion that suggests the TV money earned by Premier League clubs is so high that gate revenue represents only a trickle and that clubs could even let fans in for free. I very much doubt that is actually true or feasible, but I do think there are measures clubs can take to increase affordability of match tickets to younger fans who represent the next generation. At the moment, most are being priced out of the game, not just at Liverpool but at pretty much all the other clubs. The average age of fans in the ground nowadays is a lot older that say, back in the 80s.

The Germans probably lead the way for matchday experience and affordability. It's the competitiveness of the Bundesliga that keeps it exciting even though it is really Bayern versus the rest.

I think that's more an issue of inflation vs wage stagnation as much as it being extortionate amount.  Obviously, as the seats get more expensive then there are plenty that I would baulk at the cost of, but around £35 for a football match is not horrific - even if it's a still higher than it should ideally be.

I think that's more an issue of inflation vs wage stagnation as much as it being extortionate amount. Obviously, as the seats get more expensive then there are plenty that I would baulk at the cost of, but around £35 for a football match is not horrific - even if it's a still higher than it should ideally be.

Single game tickets are very expensive though..

Block U3 of Main Stand v West Ham paid £53.

Block U8 yesterday was £46.

It is a lot of money IMHO.

2 games into season and £100 spent (well £150 actually as took Lad first game on a full priced £53 adult ticket)

It is.  All I was pointing out is that the reason why the season ticket they've looked at is the "least affordable" is because of wider economic issues than the greed of the club.

Of course all of that will be a thing of the past come next March, when the great panacea will fix all geographic inequality across the land.  Because we'll all get fucked.

While i agree its too expensive how much do you pay to go for a decent meal,theatre, concerts. Jesus in the cinema comes in at nearly £15 a pop for new 3d films

I pay a hell of a lot less to go and see bands play. Thee Oh Sees are the best live band on the planet and usually cost around 10 euros. You can see the genius that is Nick Cave play a 2/3 hour set for a fair bit less than seeing us play a match. The prices are outrageous now.
  • Upvote 1

Yeah smaller non big name bands are cheaper. Nathaniel Rateliff and Blackberry Smoke have cost me about £25-30 this year but you want to see a major band and its £70 plus. See the Stones etc and your looking at £100 if your lucky.

Theatre is £30 to be up in the gods

The state of those average wages: Chelsea on more than twice as much as Burnley or Leicester.

What a fucking way to run a country.

The fella working in the airport, £920 a month? How the hell would you survive on that these days especially if paying a rent or a mortgage. 

Personally i think all top clubs have got it wrong with ticket prices....it is a bit sad to see us as "the worst" though....although i am sure like anything there is probably another measure that could be used to paint a different picture with same numbers!

I honestly belive that a flat £20 a pop for normal tickets would actually not see a dramatic change in matchday revenue....as people would probably be more inclined to spend more money in ground on programmes/kids in club shop etc.

Hike up the prices for the corporate pricks and maybe put a premium on a couple of thousand of these thomas cook whoppwr break tickets they do and i honestly believe that they would come out roughly where they are now....ticket prices are a very small drop in the ocean these days anyway.

Yes totally agree.

I’ve said this for several years. International support is much more important. Why do people all over the world love PL so much, love English clubs so much?

The key words is intensity. The intensity that stems from people on the stands. The singing, the way fans interact with the play and players, in short - the intensity.

First club to realize the importance of having the priced out loyal fan back on the stands ends up with a huge total revenue.

Match day revenue?

19 home matches sell out at 55£ a ticket (55x52000x19 = £54 mill = 4/10 of Coutinho sale)

Coutinho sale alone is equivalent to the lost revenue you’d have if you let people in for free 2,5 seasons.

Football is just a reflection of society as a whole,most people are losers,as in unable to afford anything without being in debt to afford them, while the winners are the owners and people who run the clubs as they dictate the terms,eg prices and general cost of everything. The only thing that will ever work is to empty the grounds and fans simply won't do this.