You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brighton, Home, 17:30KO. Chris Hughton's Ma.

Oh Buoy

I’m not ready to call Gomez v Lovren either way, but i will say Gomez looked really composed today. i thought he was shaky in both of our other games. 

Overall it was an ugly win but its also a game we lose last season, perhaps etch a draw because there are times we play better once the other side scores. Alisson looks the business even if he might be a bit “too confident” on the ball at times. I didn’t watch Brighton’s game against the Mancs but from what I was told they went at them, they didnt go at us. We’ll see if thats a sign of things to come but perhaps the tide has shifted where teams are so afraid of getting a hiding that they play this way and yet we still have enough to get the win. Meanwhile they have a go at those cunts and steal games. Obviously they arent our only competition, nor our main knes on paper, but its still nice to see.

Much better in the air for me is Lovren.

I'm not sure whether or not I agree, I think it's too early to tell (being good in the air at CB is different than FB. For example, let's see how good Lovren is with a diagonal ball over his head...), but one thing to consider is that even if that is true, is that something that should mean he should play ahead of Gomez?

Gomez, who is 21, has been pretty much flawless this season. First time he has been partnered with VVD for any period of time, he's strong, he's quick, he's getting the valuable game time he needs to do what we bought him to do, which is develop into a first team player. For me, if we are just going to bring Lovren back in, we might as well sell Gomez. He needs games to develop into a world class CB, which is where he is heading. He did his time developing at RB. We've got to support these young talents. I know you didn't mention bringing Lovren back in, so that's not really aimed at you. More a general comment.

If we drop Gomez for Dejan 'fucking' Lovren, I can't tell you how disappointed I'd be.

• Upvote 3

Gomez has been impressive playing in his natural role, he's 21 so will make mistakes but should develop and improve, we've already seen peak Lovren.

Ugly win yesterday and I loved it. We definitely would have dropped points previously (last season against Stoke). In fairness despite not playing too well we still should have been 3-0 by half-time.

I think our midfield looks better with Hendo in it. My preference would be Hendo anchoring with Keita slightly in front left and Oxo-Chambo slightly front right.

With that not being an option at the moment I'd like to see Hendo Keita Milner.

I know Gini has played well but he shackles the midfield a bit with shorter passing.

I'm not sure whether or not I agree, I think it's too early to tell (being good in the air at CB is different than FB. For example, let's see how good Lovren is with a diagonal ball over his head...), but one thing to consider is that even if that is true, is that something that should mean he should play ahead of Gomez?

Gomez, who is 21, has been pretty much flawless this season. First time he has been partnered with VVD for any period of time, he's strong, he's quick, he's getting the valuable game time he needs to do what we bought him to do, which is develop into a first team player. For me, if we are just going to bring Lovren back in, we might as well sell Gomez. He needs games to develop into a world class CB, which is where he is heading. He did his time developing at RB. We've got to support these young talents. I know you didn't mention bringing Lovren back in, so that's not really aimed at you. More a general comment.

If we drop Gomez for Dejan 'fucking' Lovren, I can't tell you how disappointed I'd be.

I very much agree. Gomez is the future. He's 21, which is barely credible. Lovren is going to provide the same mix of good, great and terrible performances so we should be seeking to improve on that.

I actually thought VVD looked a little off his usual game today. Early on, anyway. A few misplaced passages. Looked a bit hurried and unsettled. He did settle down as the game went on though.

Gomez has been excellent over the last two games, but then I'd be hesitant to call him over Lovren without seeing how he fared under a sterner test.

I think our midfield looks better with Hendo in it. My preference would be Hendo anchoring with Keita slightly in front left and Oxo-Chambo slightly front right.

With that not being an option at the moment I'd like to see Hendo Keita Milner.

I know Gini has played well but he shackles the midfield a bit with shorter passing.

Same criticism is made of Hendo when he plays deep, nature of the beast, you have to be a bit more careful when playing DM. Perhaps we will see what Can brings to the role shortly, but for now vary happy with this version of Gini

Routine.

Usually I would be unhappy with scraping a 1-0 win but I'm not bothered at all, I am more interested in the 0 at the moment than how many we score at the other end. To me, our goalscoring speaks for itself even if the front 3 aren't at it at the moment.

It's about sending a message to other teams - just rock up to Anfield for your defeat and try and keep it tight, because those easy chances aren't coming. Teams turn up at the Emptyhad thinking "let's keep it 3-0" and we are starting to make teams think the same.

• Upvote 1

Martin Keown is such an intense man.

There's a clip on YouTube where he basically said he was prepared to get a bit physical with Alex Ferguson for being a cunt with the ref, etc. Funny

He's never been snidey towards is, Keown, and he could easily be, having played in some big games against us over the years. I've always thought he was sound.

Gomez is doing OK but let's see how he stands up to the much tougher tests ahead....Tottenham, Chelsea and Man City make up 3 of our next 5 league games.

He's heading in the right direction though and seems to benefit from having VVD next to him...hopefully he can stay injury free and continue to develop.

There's a clip on YouTube where he basically said he was prepared to get a bit physical with Alex Ferguson for being a cunt with the ref, etc. Funny

He's never been snidey towards is, Keown, and he could easily be, having played in some big games against us over the years. I've always thought he was sound.

I can’t see a him having a laugh with his mates over a pint of ale.

Haha. Fuck. I really am a racist. I mean Mane.

They're all small, move the same way, and are all direct in similar areas. To be fair, it might be my eyes, because sometimes I confuse Robbo for Mane, at which point it's not racism it's dementia.

Fuck, you do have bad eyesight. Easy to tell Robbo from Mane. Different coloured boots.