You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Large 2bn Arab Takeover Rejected

Nope

I have a pretty good grasp on what I said, as I'm the one who said it. It's retarded. 'It is' did not single you out.

you singled me out in a bizarre and passive-aggressive way and it wasn't very nice.

I've got some thicker skin you can try on if you'd like?

Sorry if I've offended you. I didn't mean to cause you genuine discomfort, I was frustrated at what I perceive to be bad-AIDS of the argument, so apologies if you actual are put out by it.

We succeed because Klopp is a genius, not because FSG are great owners. My evidence for this is the 5 years of failure predating Klopp. FSG lucked out buying one of the biggest franchises in the world for an insanely low price because a bunch of cowboys ran it into the ground and tried to embezzle funds. 

Have they run it well from an investment standpoint? Yes. They've increased the value of the asset, which is their principle aim. Building the training ground and the stadium brings more money back in the long run.

Are they going to give us the financial backing needed to offer the kind of wages that United and City give out to stop our best players being sold? Are they going to pay the money required to put us on top, above or equal to City and United in terms of investment? The answer to both those questions is no.

• Upvote 1

We succeed because Klopp is a genius, not because FSG are great owners. My evidence for this is the 5 years of failure predating Klopp. FSG lucked out buying one of the biggest franchises in the world for an insanely low price because a bunch of cowboys ran it into the ground and tried to embezzle funds. 

Have they run it well from an investment standpoint? Yes. They've increased the value of the asset, which is their principle aim. Building the training ground and the stadium brings more money back in the long run.

Are they going to give us the financial backing needed to offer the kind of wages that United and City give out to stop our best players being sold? Are they going to pay the money required to put us on top, above or equal to City and United in terms of investment? The answer to both those questions is no.

Exactly. Bring on a bottomless pit of cash and let us take on City on a level playing field. We're not far from them even with tight owners (compared to the sheikh at least), imagine how much better we'd be with a generous owner that spends his OWN money, and not just what the club manages to generate.

We succeed because Klopp is a genius, not because FSG are great owners. My evidence for this is the 5 years of failure predating Klopp. FSG lucked out buying one of the biggest franchises in the world for an insanely low price because a bunch of cowboys ran it into the ground and tried to embezzle funds.

Are they going to give us the financial backing needed to offer the kind of wages that United and City give out to stop our best players being sold? Are they going to pay the money required to put us on top, above or equal to City and United in terms of investment? The answer to both those questions is no.

Think if they hadn't spent money in the summer they would have defo been taking the piss and everyone would be out with their pitchforks.

Despite the success of the main stand and the never ending season ticket list they seem reluctant to move on with the ARE. Talking of how long it will take to pay back when we pissed away the equivalent money on Andy Carroll, Stewart Downing and Charlie Adam.

They aren't bad owners but just do enough.

• Upvote 1

Obviously in the football ownership stakes there are only degrees of evil but for me at least it's very important to be able to really get behind the club that there not be anyone who is too far down that scale associated with it.

That article in medium about City's owners that came out last week is quite eye-opening and I can genuinely say that I'd rather be consistently finishing sixth under FSG than winning titles under Mansour. Not saying FSG are a bunch of saints but at least they're not openly engaged in human trafficking and torture. Almost made me feel bad for the City fans - it's not their fault but it has to be soul-destroying to see your club bought by the likes of that.

Much, much rather we just kept things the way they are. Gordon and the owners seem to have finally gotten a competent setup going at Liverpool and we can win trophies without resorting to the oligarch/oil baron money, so let's just do that.

The most dispiriting part is, the first we'd hear about it would be when photographs were being taken on the pitch of the new owners.  People like you and me  (or as we're sometimes known, "fans") wouldn't get a say.

On a separate, but notable point, this huge bid and its attendant guaranteed riches for FSG happened BEFORE they broke records on spending.  Would they have forked out for VVD and Alisson if that bid hadn't have materialised and encouraged them to...?

We succeed because Klopp is a genius, not because FSG are great owners. My evidence for this is the 5 years of failure predating Klopp. FSG lucked out buying one of the biggest franchises in the world for an insanely low price because a bunch of cowboys ran it into the ground and tried to embezzle funds.

Are they going to give us the financial backing needed to offer the kind of wages that United and City give out to stop our best players being sold? Are they going to pay the money required to put us on top, above or equal to City and United in terms of investment? The answer to both those questions is no.

This is correct.

Hasn't some super rich Brit been linked with them

Yeah, the guy who has sneaked into being the richest Brit - Jim Ratcliffe. He's worth over 20bn. Rich as fucking fuck. If not richer. I'm not sure if he would be in it to through loads of money around or not. He's apparently 'publicly shy', so hopefully he'd realise that he'd go from being able to walk down the street to everybody knowing who he is.

I can’t help feeling that, if FSGs principle aim is to make a capital profit, turning £230m into £2bn in 7 year’s is job done. They’re not going to repeat that level of profit.

That suggests they have other objectives. Perhaps they are long term investors looking to run the Club on a sound financial basis? And the best way to produce a sustainable profit is to be successful on the pitch.

We cynically invent alternative motives for FSGs ownership but maybe their interests are much more closely aligned to ours than some might think.