You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Crystal Palace 0 Liverpool 2 (Aug 20 2018)

tlw content

palacereport1.jpg

I love these type of battling wins. I almost called it scruffy there but that would be doing the lads a dis-service. I actually thought we played really well. Could have been better, much better in fact, but we’re not going to hit sixth gear every week and sometimes the front lads will almost look human. Almost. 

Look at Mo. He clearly wasn’t at it, his touch wasn’t there and everything seemed just a little bit off all night. Yet he won a penalty, caused a Palace player to get sent off and also had an assist. The real beauty of this win was that the front players were generally below par but the the rest of the team got the job done. How many times in the past have the front three needed to bail us out because others have been found wanting? 

The times are a changin’ though. We might have as much talent at the back as we have at the front now. Virg, Trent, Robbo… They’re all top drawer. Hopefully we can the keeper to the mix too, he’s made a solid start. 

Defensively we were great against Palace. Not perfect, they still had a chance or two, but by and large this was a proper big boy performance from the lads at the back. There’s no bigger boy than Big Virg though is there? What a performance. 

It’s rare that I ever say this, but I’ll take great pleasure in saying it now. Gary Neville was right. Van Dijk is a fucking monster. The lavish praise that came Virgil’s way afterwards from Carragher and Neville was fully justified. Carra was touting him as the best centre half in the world and as good as Hansen. I don’t disagree but it’s hard making such bold claims when he’s been here less than a year. 

When you watch him though it’s impossible not to be smitten. He cruises through games and rarely looks like anything is causing him any difficulty. He just bullied Benteke all night and won virtually every header. Not only does he win headers, he directs them to his team-mates and gets us on the attack. Complete and utter dominance and he’s never flustered by anything, just cool and calm all the time. Having someone like him can make all the difference. 

These games are traditionally always difficult for us. Long ball teams who defend deep and are well organised can be like kryptonite to us sometimes. Palace are always tough at their own place. Klopp has won all four of his visits to Selhurst but it’s never easy and they always give us a tough game. This was no different. Well actually it was a little different. They were tough to break down but they rarely looked capable of hurting us because we were so solid. 

Everyone knows we’re fucking scary to play against and the forwards put the fear of God into everybody. I like the idea that we might be developing a reputation as being absolute bastards to play against too though. I don’t want teams just worrying about our attack, I want teams to think “oh fucks sake, we’ll do well to even lay a glove on these today”. We’re defo getting there. 

Another point made by Neville that’s worth repeating is how the defensive record over the last 32 games or so compares favourably with anybody. As he said, it’s title winning numbers. Since Van Dijk arrived he’s done exactly what it was hoped he’d do. We’ve tightened right up and he’s got that ability that many great have of making everybody around him look better. 

Lovren looks like a world beater when he’s alongside Virgil, and Gomez was terrific against Palace I thought. The full backs look confident too and having Alisson there helps too. It’s not that he’s had loads to do but he’s another fucking beast. Just a big bastard with a huge presence and swag. Him and Virgil just exude that machismo, just strutting around out there knowing they’re the best at what they do. Even if they aren’t the best, just giving off that vibe is worth it’s weight in gold. 

Alisson was pinging passes around like Xabi Alonso. Starting attacks with raking 60 balls out to the wings and shit. It was a sight to behold. Having that in our locker just makes us even more terrifying. It’s going to reach a stage where teams will be too scared to even try to attack because of what we can do. 

Take corners for example. I don’t have any stats to back this up but my perception is that these days we’re more likely to score from opposition corners than they are. Honestly, when the other team get a corner I’m more excited than when we get one. It’s mad, but it can’t just be me surely? They get a corner and I’m like “Here we go, showtime!”. 

The cross comes in, it’s headed out and then fucking look out, the red arrows are off. It’s catch 22 for the opposition. They know the best chance they have of doing anything is by getting lucky from a ball into the box but if they throw players forward and we win the header they’re in deep shit. 

In the closing stages of this game Palace knew their only hope was if they nicked something from a set-piece, so they had to commit men forward. And when they did, big Virg won the header and nodded it to Mo. Sadio then took off through the middle and that was that. Fantastic strength and balance from Mané to finish it too. Great goal, I loved that. 

We almost did something similar earlier too. Virgil cleaned out the header, Bobby latched onto it and released Mo in on goal. We didn’t score but it resulted in Palace’s boss young right back getting his walking papers. I thought it was harsh myself. I have no idea what the fuck Mo was trying to do. It looked like he was playing for the red card because his touch was woeful and would have taken him too wide if he’d actually chased after it instead of just continuing in a straight line and drawing contact from the kid. It was a bizarre incident, proper Shane Long behaviour that. 

The Palace fans were already furious with him over the penalty at the end of the first half. I would have been too in their shoes. I’m in my own shoes though so I clearly have a different take on it. It was penalty. It was soft and Mo defo went to ground very easily, but you have to look at it from the referees position. He sees Sakho holding him then letting go. Then he has a nibble at the ankle. Then he has another nibble and Mo tumbles over. From where Oliver is that’s a pen all day. 

Of course he then spent much of the opening 20 minutes of the first half giving them all kinds of soft decisions to try and make up for it. One foul against Mané on the edge of the Palace box was so wrong it was actually hilarious. Sadio got shoved, as he went to ground he stuck out his leg and toe poked the ball to a team-mate. A Palace player then collided with him and Oliver gave a free-kick. It was amazing. He then booked Trent after a trademark Zaha dive. 

I’m not going to complain about Zaha’s antics though given that Mo was doing the exact same thing. What I would say about Zaha though was I didn’t like how was giving it the Billy Big Bollocks all night. Mate, you’re playing for Palace despite spending the whole summer waiting for a top six club to come in for you. You’re a good player but reign it in a bit, yeah? And don’t be giving verbals to Big Games James either as that’s a battle you aren’t going to win. 

That was great actually. Zaha stiff armed Milner in the throat trying to hold him off, and Milner just fucking launched himself into a tackle that cleaned everything out. Brilliant. I love Milner I do. Probably in my all time top ten favourite players. He simply has to win a major trophy with us before his time is done. It would be scandalous if he didn’t as no-one deserves it more. 

His penalty record has been iffy of late but there is no other outstanding candidate to take them. Personally I’d probably let Mo have them, or maybe rotate it on a game by game basis. That way it makes it difficult for keepers to prepare if they don’t know who it will be. Milner, Mo, Sadio, Big Virg, let them all have a go. 

The pen came at the perfect time because it looked like Palace were going to hold out until the break. They were quite comfortable really. We’d started well but fizzled out and chances were few and far between. Salah almost scored a goal that would have been replayed for years due to the part played in it by Keita. The turn away from Townsend was glorious, the pass over the top to hit Mo in stride even more so. Mo’s first touch was good but the keeper was on him quickly and getting it over his head and back down into the goal was not really on. Should have gone around him. 

We had some other promising situations with nice moves around the box, but they really led to clear chances and Palace actually went closest with a brilliant effort from Townsend that hit the bar from 25 yards. That came after a sloppy ball from Keita. That moment aside he was impressive and rarely gave the ball away. 

Same with Gini. Quietly effective again in the 6 role. Hendo looked sharp when he came on for Milner too. We’re stacked in midfield at the moment. So much depth there that Fabinho can’t even make the bench. There are a lot of players desperately waiting for the CL to start so that Klopp will begin to rotate a bit, because getting in the first choice line up is going to be a job and a half. 

Everyone who plays has to deliver because if they don’t there’s someone ready to step in. It’s a great situation to be in and it already looks like it’s raised the level of individuals, especially in midfield. 

If we’re to live up to the optimism that is surrounding the club right now, winning games like this one will be the key to it. You just can’t afford to drop silly points anymore. City have set the bar so high that there’s so little room for error. We dropped loads of stupid points last year, in so small part due to not holding onto leads. 

It never really felt like we’d relinquish this 1-0 lead but you never know. All it takes is a lucky bounce or a mistake from someone. The inevitable feeling of “we’re going to concede” wasn’t really there though. Every ball into the box was headed away by Van Dijk or dealt with by Alisson, and we kept the ball very well and took the sting out of the game. Of course it helped with Palace only having 10 in the closing stages, but I don’t even think it would have made much difference. 

There’s a poise and a calm about the team at the moment, and much of it stems from Mr Cool at the back. As long as he stays fit we’re going to be right up there. 

The encouraging thing is we know the front three will rarely be this subdued again. Mané was alright to be fair, but Bobby and Mo were below their normal level. Sadio’s finish was fucking great and I just have a feeling he’s going to light it up this season. I’ve said before I’m expecting huge numbers from Mané this year and the 20 he managed last season will be well within his sights as soon as Christmas. 

He was also involved in the funniest moment of the night when at full time he saw his Senegal boy Kouyate (who was on the bench for Palace) and just leapt into his arms as though they were team-mates celebrating victory together. Poor Kouyate must have been thinking “fucks sake Sadio, get off you’re making me look a twat in front of my new fans!”. 

We couldn’t have asked for a better start. Two wins, two clean sheets, winning away at Palace under the lights. Perfect really. Need to keep it going with another convincing home with this weekend against Brighton. City are not going to drop many points so we need to just keep pace with them and make sure we’re in position to capitalise if and when they do. 

Star man is Big Shexy. 

Team: Alisson; Alexander-Arnold, Gomez, Van Dijk, Robertson; Wijnaldum, Milner (Henderson), Keita (Lallana); Salah, Firmino (Sturridge); Mané:

• Upvote 7

We need to give Big Virg a free kick or two. If he doesn’t score it then at least it will break an opposition player in half.

Personally I thought Henderson was annoying when he come on. They had 10 men and weren’t pressing whatsoever. We were passing it around the back and they looked dead. Henderson then gets in the ball and decides he’s going to twat a 60 yard Hollywood ball to Trent. It gave Palace the ball back when they had no chance of getting it otherwise and it led to their free kick. It was unbelievable really and really unprofessional. Maybe he’s feeling the competition for places and thinks he needs to impress. I hope Klopp took him aside and absolutely slaughtered him for it. His game is being safe and I don’t mind that. If he decides he wants to not be safe then that’s him out of the side for me.

Disgusted by Lallana at the moment. Utterly shit hair, offers nothing on the pitch. Hopefully we get a decent fee for him.

Been meaning to mention this for a while. Meant to put it in the diary but when I had the thought it was on the week off so don't think I've written it anywhere until now.

I ripped Hernandez during the World Cup and made some reference to "if there was any 30 year old who was going to come out with his hair bleached he'd have been number one on my list".

Lallana is in the same category. Muthafucka is 30 years old and he's running around looking like a fuckin' Gremlin.

Me ma was right about him all along.

• Upvote 2

We need to give Big Virg a free kick or two. If he doesn’t score it then at least it will break an opposition player in half.

Personally I thought Henderson was annoying when he come on. They had 10 men and weren’t pressing whatsoever. We were passing it around the back and they looked dead. Henderson then gets in the ball and decides he’s going to twat a 60 yard Hollywood ball to Trent. It gave Palace the ball back when they had no chance of getting it otherwise and it led to their free kick. It was unbelievable really and really unprofessional. Maybe he’s feeling the competition for places and thinks he needs to impress. I hope Klopp took him aside and absolutely slaughtered him for it. His game is being safe and I don’t mind that. If he decides he wants to not be safe then that’s him out of the side for me.

I thought Hendo looked really sharp and got us settled right down and passing it around.

Also don't get why Klopp was moaning about the full backs as I thought they were both very good. They can play better, but they were still good I thought.

• Upvote 1

I thought Hendo looked really sharp and got us settled right down and passing it around.

Also don't get why Klopp was moaning about the full backs as I thought they were both very good. They can play better, but they were still good I thought.

Trent’s delivery has been really shitty the last two games. Probably a reference to that.

I've been thinking exactly the same about conceding corners. In 12 months I've gone from bricking it to quiet expectation. Maybe we should start conceding them on purpose rather than throw ins.

Let's hope Woolster can give us the stats for goals conceded against goals scored on the break from corners last season.

I've been thinking exactly the same about conceding corners. In 12 months I've gone from bricking it to quiet expectation. Maybe we should start conceding them on purpose rather than throw ins.

Let's hope Woolster can give us the stats for goals conceded against goals scored on the break from corners last season.

I bet it's close. We've scored at least four or five from other teams corners.

Because when teams defend compactly like Palace did and like most small teams will, the full backs will be allowed space out wide so they need to be clean technically, provide constant overlaps and deliver useful service, things they failed to do Monday.

TAA and Robertson were both fine defensively but were terrible going forward and it handicapped the attack.

Hendo must have had about 40 completed passes in the short space of time he was on the pitch. Critcising him for one misplaced pass is a bit OTT I think.

Thoroughly professional performance.

He also completed a text book point shortly after coming on.

Really good finger and arm extension.

• Upvote 2

Been meaning to mention this for a while. Meant to put it in the diary but when I had the thought it was on the week off so don't think I've written it anywhere until now.

I ripped Hernandez during the World Cup and made some reference to "if there was any 30 year old who was going to come out with his hair bleached he'd have been number one on my list".

Lallana is in the same category. Muthafucka is 30 years old and he's running around looking like a fuckin' Gremlin.

Me ma was right about him all along.

he will be back at southampton in no time.

Would you really have a different take had the penalty been at the other end? The only reason there is any controversy over it is because the hacks have identified a narrative seam they will be able to mine endlessly this season, i.e. previously pure-as-driven-snow Mo is a diver! He'll be doing well if he gets one more penalty this season.

Slightly disagree on Salah. We need to be more shithouse, win pens and get players sent off. That's one of the benefits of having star players - they get the benefit of the doubt. We had 12 pens in 13/14, many of them decisive. Suarez was a master at it.

• Upvote 1

The penalty was pretty stonewall for me. The red card less so because it did look like Mo had lost control of the ball and I felt a bit sorry for Wan-Bissaka who'd had a good game.

Nevertheless, watching Hodgson fume at the end was highly amusing. I've no idea what that bellend Milivojević was on about though. Claiming he wasn't whining about the penalty when he was busy whining about the penalty. He claimed there was no contact with Salah. Get yourself to Specsavers, you fucking bellend.

To conclude, great win at a difficult away fixture. And Palace fans are, and always have been, fuckwits.

As an aside, I had no idea Brighton fans hated Palace so much...

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?366320-Palace-v-Liverpool

I think the pass while risky was ok, but Trents touch was average and he gifted it to defender, but probably right, no need.

The bigger issue was the free kick as it did go down the other side and Lallanas miserable tackle was a joke. 

I do think Henderson may struggle for game time this year, but still quite useful to bring on.

On the corners front, while we may be better I'm still not convinced of our defending when we have a corner, there were a couple of times when Palace were a hairs breath from breaking on one of ours.

On VVD, he was pretty impressive, but I was also impressed with Gomez as for the first time I think he should some muscle, put in some good tackles and I think centre half is his only position as he seems much more adept than at RB

The penalty was pretty stonewall for me. The red card less so because it did look like Mo had lost control of the ball and I felt a bit sorry for Wan-Bissaka who'd had a good game.

Nevertheless, watching Hodgson fume at the end was highly amusing. I've no idea what that bellend Milivojević was on about though. Claiming he wasn't whining about the penalty when he was busy whining about the penalty. He claimed there was no contact with Salah. Get yourself to Specsavers, you fucking bellend.

To conclude, great win at a difficult away fixture. And Palace fans are, and always have been, fuckwits.

As an aside, I had no idea Brighton fans hated Palace so much...

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?366320-Palace-v-Liverpool

Serious hatred on there...much love for Liverpool! Not big fans of Zaha and his theatrics!!